Will Lewis' career have an asterisk? | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Will Lewis' career have an asterisk?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferraripilot, Oct 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I would have to agree. If anyone would say no, I would say look at last weeks race and tell me it wasn't the car. No way he starts dead last, from pit lane and makes it all the way to 4th place if its not the car.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't think anyone is saying the car doesn't make a difference, it is one of the main reasons, however is this a reason for an asterisk to be added to his F1 career.
    Absolutely not in my opinion, a racing driver has to deliver, and Lewis can certainly deliver.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Pointless to compare pole records from different eras. MSC or Senna would have many more poles with the current rules. But I'm sure you knew that.

stavura, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My favourite post

stavura, daytona355 and furoni like this.
  5. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes I can tend to agree across eras, but nevertheless, teammate comparisons ? ..what else is there to go at.

6. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Here's a bit to add to it I like ;) Lauda Poles he managed 24 of them in 171 races, a 14% strike rate. Hamilton's 71 poles have come in 204 races (34.8%)

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Fact - Lewis is the fastest man in F1's history when you look at F1's official statistics for one fast lap qualifying against the field. Everything else is just spin and hypotheticals by the fans of teams he keeps beating.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLOLOLO.....Your f1 history must be a really short one! !

stavura, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    You really think Hamilton would have stood a chance against a 75 or 76 lauda in the same car? lolo

daytona355 likes this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    FIFY:)

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Again, impossible to really know because qualifying has had many different rules setups over the years. If you really think Lewis is a better qualifier than Senna or Clark, then I think you're delusional, but whatever.

12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol, very true. Lewis Hamilton has driven better cars than anyone in the history of F1. That is a fact.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    So true...some guys history is really short. I remenber in 1980, Pironi was the brand new star, Enzo signed him, Didier was convinced he was the fastest driver in the world, indeed he was very, very good, perfectly on a pair with drivers like Prost, Piquet, Rosberg, Arnoux...thing was, he was paired with Gilles...he was still regarded by many as the SECOND fastest driver around, but his average diference in qualifying to Gilles was over a second! Tht's teh diference between a very good driver (wich Elton undoubtly is) or a genious or (goat) like Gilles, Senna and Clark, who weer the 3 fastest drivers in f.1 history IMO.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    How many races did Lauda drive in car that was as quick (relative to rival teams) as the Mercedes?

daytona355 likes this.
  15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Take away Senna's car advantage, and he'd of never been a world champion. If there is an asterisk next to Hamilton for his cars, there should also be for Schumacher and Senna.

Face it, Senna couldn't beat Williams from his Mclaren, so he joined Williams. We look at Senna's career with filtered glasses.

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Actualy he did beat them in 91...by then the williams was already the better car...

daytona355 likes this.
  17. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    It's funny you 'favorite' the Lauda clickbait quote, but didn't read the context around it - I'm not sure you're going to like it: :D

Lauda: “[Lewis] was not in the best car this year. For the past three years, car advantage could even make me a world champion. But with the strong Ferrari this year, it has to be said that Lewis gave us the title and not the other way round”

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And? Vettel ****ed up, Ferrari ****ed up. If either of them kept their head together title would've gone down to the wire and you know it. There's threads about it, people have been saying it since Baku that it was a dumb mistake of Vettel and all have agreed.

Even so, even Ray Charles could see the Mercedes was the better car; however, it didn't enjoy as much as an advantage as before.

Lewis is a great driver, if they had Palmer in the car they wouldn't have won the title. But if Ferrari employed Palmer and Stroll, Mercedes would've won the title back in Hungary! All Lauda is saying is that they needed and above average driver to win the title against the Ferrari employing above average drivers.

stavura, daytona355 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  19. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's difficult if not impossible to compare eras, especially in the seventies when drivers really were dicing with there own lives, IIRC 9 died in total.

Bas likes this.
  20. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Yes, everybody saw the Ferrari was much stronger in Silverstone...yeah right....Just repeat it often enough and you might convince yourself that Lewis won this years title in the 7th best car in the field....actually even the McLaren was better and therefore this years title is the most deserved in history of racing. Nobody but Lewis could have done this masterpiece....epic...I am missing the words to describe that...Now that Nico is not there nobody can stop Lewis anymore...

stavura, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Good to know the Lewis has improved from being 'pretty good' to 'great '.o_O

22. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Lewis did win from the second best car in the field. He played it smart, minimized DNF's and maximized results.

Ferrari put together a fast car and engine this year, the fastest.

23. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As seen in Silverstone ;)
    And when Lewis has a DNF (like last year) he is the poor Lewis and life is unfair and if he does not it is because he plays it smart...yeah right
    That way he is always the king and never at fault...how comfortable

Bas likes this.
  24. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    My own posts about Malaysia made last year is that Hamilton was pushing too hard that year. However, he was in position to afford it, yet he didn't need it. Lots of the top drivers eventually do this, it is the nature of being the best racing driver.

You are steadily helping me come to a conclusion that Hamilton is the best driver on the grid.

25. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So with all your posts you convinced at least one guy about that...even if it is just yourself ;)

stavura and daytona355 like this.