Will New F430 really depreciate the CS??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Will New F430 really depreciate the CS???

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360CS, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OpenWhlRcr

OpenWhlRcr Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    I have never heard of performance figures having anything to do with the value or resale of a car. Its supply and demand. The 360CS will depreciate because it will be an older body style. Plain and simple. If they NEVER build a 430CS then expect values to hold at a decent price. The 360CS is a very raw and purpose built vehicle. You are comparing the replacement entry level car with a limited version of the current entry level car. Its like why dont we compare the 348 Challenge to the 430 or the 355 Fiorano to the 430 while we are at it. Cars improve in performance over time. That is the nature of the business and the industry. If you want to look at things on a smaller scale look at the Subaru WRX STI. The resale of the used vehicles is strong just becuase of the demand. Not to say you couldnt walk in and buy one, but dealers arent moving off MSRP so the used market is holding strong. It happens with all brands. Also what car is 30 SECONDS faster? the F2004? 30 seconds is a lot of time. Basically I am saying compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. We are talking a limited car vs. a standard car.

2. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i think this may have been a typo. i read on this board recently (not sure who the source was) that the 360CS is .75 seconds faster at fiorano than a F430.

3. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    360 CS is 3.5 sec quicker, 430 (with steel brakes) is 3.0 sec quicker than 360 in Fiorano. So that's a difference of 0.5 sec. Interesting to see, if and how carbo-ceramic-brakes will improve that performance.

4. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    rossi,

the delta between CS and 430 is actually .75 sec/lap at fiorano, same test driver

5. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Alright. 0.5 or 0.75, not that much different. But do you expect to change the 430-time with carbon-brakes?

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    If it changes at all, it won't be much. The main advantage to carbon brakes is resistance to fade, and over a one-lap distance, obviously that won't matter. There is a very slight unsprung weight advantage, but it would be measured in the tenths, not full seconds, in my opinion.

Gary

7. Mehrabani1

Mehrabani1 Rookie

Aug 24, 2004
    I seriously dont think so... the 360 CS is really made for a different kind of owner...

8. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Ditto

9. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    The 360CS is a car for a particular kind of owner. The CS has several things going for it. Low numbers made. Special equipment that is not available on any other 360 model. So that makes it truly special. The price will come down over time like most Ferraris.

I think the main question regarding the price is going to be how dealers and the market takes the CS if we see more CS's on the market for sale. It all comes down to supply vs. demand.

10. SJN2004

SJN2004 Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    One thing that will hit resale value on CS's is when they are due for brake pad/disk replacement, isn't this around 10,000USD or so per set? If you look at GT2's, they devalue to the price of a Turbo very quickly (in the UK anyway), probably due to the way they destroy their carbon brakes.

11. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    SJN2004,

You might have a point on the btakes. But the price on GT2 in US came down for a couple other reasons. The X50 Pkg made the performance difference smaller which made the GT2 come down as did the difference between the equipment difference. More owners realized they weren't going to drive the GT2 exclusively on the track and the equipment on the Turbo made it more useable then the GT2. So again it went back to supply vs. demand.

But you are correct in the service bills did not help matters of price on resale.

Safe travels

12. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    The last CSs come off the production line at the end of October. There will have been a total world wide production of 900 cars, of whch about 300 came to the US. The UK got about 75, the French 45. If that is making too many, please do tell us what # of autos produced would suit you...

Maybe the # of 308s/328s built pre 1989 would suit you?

The CS is not the cat to compare to the F430, the 360 Modena is the comparable car.

He who has a CS to use it for what it was designed (THE RACE TRACK) would not buy an F430 for the same purpose...

IF and WHEN Ferrari decide on a CS version of the F430, then you will have a comparable car.

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "He who has a CS to use it for what it was designed (THE RACE TRACK) would not buy an F430 for the same purpose...

IF and WHEN Ferrari decide on a CS version of the F430, then you will have a comparable car."

Amen - but few seem to accept this.

14. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Thank goodness, Will.

If more did accept it there would not be enough CSs to go around! Whereas there will be a good 11000 F430s made before the end of the run

15. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    A friend of mine who works for Autocar just came back from Modena two days ago where he tested the 430(test will appear next wednesday apparently).Thinks the 430 is wonderful (by the way). Anyhow I asked him before he went to ask the suits in charge in Modena at the press release/conference before the test what's the future of the CS. He told me that they will now continue the CS into 2005, along with the spider and keep producing until demand has stopped. No word on 430CS though. That's what he told me anyhow. I also told him that when Autocar get a full test here in the UK that maybe we can use my CS for a comparison drive. They also had a Gallardo at the press test drive for comparison and my friend said that the lambo drove like a truck in comparison. The 430 was so poised and nimble, just superb. He told me (as is obvious)that the CS and 430 appeals to different customers and that he feels the CS will always have a specific customer base which it caters to(until a 430 CS shows up of course).
    Anyway his words.
    Alex

16. GoodWood

GoodWood Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    SE Florida/Indiana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What sense would that make to produce, what would effectively be an outdated model, styling-wise, right alongside the newer version? I don't think that will happen. And I pray it won't either! Don't want the market getting too saturated with CS's!

17. Enzomaniac

Enzomaniac Karting

Aug 30, 2004
    1. Subscribe to NADA Classic, Collectible, and Special Interest Car Appraisal Guide & Directory which, if you have any analytical skills, will guide you in making an educated guess about depreciation. Most true buyers of the Challenge Stradale are not worrying about depreciation when buying it. Some buyers, like me, are even considering holding the car to collect because it is a "special interest" car with limited function and appeal. Limited production Ferraris have always appreciated over the years. Check back with me in 30 years to see what mine will be worth.

2. According to Mario Bommarito, of FNA, who oversees distribution for the USA, Challenge Stradale production ceased during the summer. He told this to a fellow participant in FNA's August 7 Challenge Rally. It may be that you are seeing the final deliveries, which take time to get from Italy to your "neighbor's garage."

18. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    http://www.classicdriver.de/uk/find/4100_results.asp?sorderby=tblDealers%2EsDealerName&action=simple%5Fsearch&coopid=0&lmanufacturer=10042&lcurrency=2&next=4100%5Fresults%2Easp&whatbutton.x=0&dealerid=0&bsubmit=true&lmodelflag=12196&bclicked=false&bshowstock=False&page=0&lCarID=1704137

Here's an early guide.

In short the 360CS is depreciating already, and this will accelerate when the 430 arrives.

How much do you think the buyer paid for this car? I'm guessing he didn't get it for list. Plus there's the dealers margin.

I hope he was an enthusiast who enjoyed it, rather then a speculator/poser who got stung.