Will Pista Production end in Dec 2019? | FerrariChat

Will Pista Production end in Dec 2019?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Shack, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Hearing due to GPF deadlines, all Pista production will end by December 2019.

Is this true?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That is what I’ve heard as well.

Shack likes this.
  3. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Just learned pebble beach is the last tailor made opportunity for pista
    My October nyc atelier appointment was cancelled
    Would seem to support 12/2019 deadline but I’m speculating

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I was told that a couple of weeks ago. That's why many other models are being pushed out , especially if the is something different like a fancy / special colour.

5. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hmm.. my Pista is a TM car and nothing as of yet but heard (like you said) that its been prioritized due to GPF, then again what about all the Pista Spiders arriving next year?

Shack likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    From what I have been told and heard- all pista sand pista spiders are ending December of 2019.

uhn2000 likes this.
  7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    When in the production process are MY designations determined?
    Perhaps they can get all the pistas started, MY assigned and then slow down the builds for all the special requests

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I believe MY changes in week 22. Not really sure why they would end in December due to the GPF. If 2020 cars need a GPF it means that every car that gets a VIN from that point on will need GPF.
    Makes sense if they retool during this summer holiday for GPF fitted cars, as they usually use the summer holiday period for production line changes. When December comes MY 2020 has been going on for quite a while. If the car receives its VIN after the MY point, it's a 2020 car. I'm sure there are still Pistas in the MODIS system without a VIN that will be 2020 cars.

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That would be crazy if that’s the case. Pista Spiders all built in something like a 9 month time frame? Is everyone who ordered one going to get one?

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The GPF comes from euro regulations and does not care about MY, it's only about production date.
    All Pista to be sold in Europe therefore need to be produced before 2020 (assuming there will be no change on the Pista engine, which I think is a reasonable assumption) ; in 2020 Ferrari will begin to produce the F8 with the GPF.
    The questions now are:
    - will Ferrari produce some Pista in early 2020 for other markets, without GPF?
    - will they further delay the F8 to be able to produce these no-GPF Pista in early 2020?
    - will they be able to produce at the same time no-GPF engines for Pista and GPF engines for F8?
    Depending on the answers to these questions we could see different outcomes...

11. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    +1 this is what I was told by a European dealer

12. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    My Pista was supposed to be delivered in April 2020.That is what I agreed with dealer.
    It arrived last Friday.
    Make your own minds up.

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    8 months early??

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Mine is still status 10. Placed order early March.

15. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    The rush to avoid GPF would help you get your Pista earlier than you think

16. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My Pista went status red 10 on May 15, and is status 91(in port) today. Dealer originally expected delivery in November/December. If delivery happens in the next two to three weeks, it would be only five month from order to delivery. It does seem like there is a push get cars done. No complaints here!

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With the F8 postponed to 2020 and the 488 already discontinued (except maybe a few spiders), all the production capacity for the mid-engine V8 is now dedicated to Pista and Pista spiders. This is roughly half the production capacity of Ferrari (the rest being for Portofino, Lusso and 812).

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    As of 4 days ago- I was still status 10 green. I do not anticipate my car being built till after the August recess which puts me at around November delivery.

19. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    No it is about the homologation date. Europe receives Pistas until the end of summer 2020. Rest of the world until the end of 2020.

But yes - they are already rushing. The build quality of the Pistas tells a tale about it.

Production is separated in V8 and V12 lines. F8 production should start soon, since the first European cars are already scheduled for delivery in Q1 2020.

Caeruleus11, Juli and IPO1 like this.
  20. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I feel for you, seems like you have been waiting at status 10 for a while. Is your build a Taylor Made?

21. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    European market receives Pistas till June/July 2020.

Maciek, Caeruleus11 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I wonder if Ferrari is making this push due to the GPF - I don't think so. I don't think Ferrari sees it as a huge deal in terms of what the buyers think. It's just part of what they have to adapt to, and I think that's where their mindset is.

I would think the push simply has to do with the SF90 and LB cars. They have to start production after the summer shut down of 2020, so they need to have most of the Pistas and F8 cars out of the door by then. I would not be surprised if there's a boat load of Pista Spider and F8 Spider deliveries coming in Q1 and Q2 of 2020. A guess is that they will retool for the full F8 Berlinetta production this holiday.

Looking at what's coming with the Porto coupé, SF90, LB and so forth, time is growing short and they need to get all those non hybrids off the line so that SF90 cars will be delivered in Q1 2021 forward etc.

23. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Another influence may be per unit profit.
    I’m guessing pistas pack more bang for the bottom line and if they can fill the V8 line w pistas while postponing F8s, the year end financials will be stronger

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My status has not moved since I placed my order. No Tailor Made for me. Just a basic spec (well, as basic as a Pista can be)

TDF blue with every external carbon option including engine bay. Not much else.

25. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Not to be a downer but.... One of your postings did raise my eyebrow; You cancelled the 488 spider order. This might have something to do with things.