Will Pista Production end in Dec 2019? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Will Pista Production end in Dec 2019?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Shack, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Aren't the F8 and Pista engine the same engine? And aren't the F8 cars rolling off the line so far equipped with GPF?

It would seem that not only do they not have to redesign the whole engine, they already know how to install the GPF because they're doing it on the F8.

I may be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

But there going to be able to make both the Pista and F8 for countries that don't require the GPF . But I was also told that the Pista would stop 2019.

We don't have the GPF what about the States ? Porsche also stated 100% we will not have the GPF.

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Again depends which country NO GPF for Australia. They still will sell cars here. Its not as if they will be deleted from our shores. The companies will be making 2 exhaust systems

4. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Are f8 rolling off the line in Copenhagen? I didn't think production started yet for anyone.

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The way I see it is the countries requiring the GPF will all be made before end 2019 then the ones not requiring it will be made. Ferrari as with all the other car manufacturers will need to have 2 lines. With GPF and without GPF.

They all are not going to stop selling to Australia. But boy if they did could you imagine the resales going up

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Press cars have been released I believe. It's not that long ago a thread was posted here about an F8 somewhere at a dealership in the US. I believe that car was GPF equipped.

7. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I was aware of a few cars that are making the rounds at various unveilings for different markets. I am not aware of any cars rolling off the line as you put it and not sure if the cars that are making the rounds are even final production cars. In regards to the engine the f8 is "derived from the Pista" but not the exact same. I have no idea what the differences may be but it could be the "new titanium con-rods and carbon-fibre intake plenums". Maybe the internals have different components? Can someone who knows the details chime in as I am curious myself.

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Pista doesn’t not have GPF. F8 will have GPF. Engine is similar but obviously not the same.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I've been told that the F8 and Pista engine is the exact same, not a derivative - but what do I know.

When I say rolling off the line so far, that's not the same as saying full production. But it does look like a few show cars for dealers etc. and press cars are beginning to off the line.

I know only what I see and only what I'm told and can read. In 5 months we'll know more and they might do one thing or the other. Time will tell.

It's an interesting debate, and I don't think any of us can lay claim to knowing anything with 100% certainty at this point. It'll be interesting to see what will happen:)

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Can I ask why you say obviously not the same? Not saying you're wrong, just interested to know why you think so.

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Will F8 have GPF?

Does Pista?

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Does that equate to the engines not being the same? Not sure it is that simple.
    How much of the actual engine would they have to change in order for it to run with the GPF? Isn't it more a question of redesigning the exhaust system from the downpipe and back, as well as a different ECU tune, rather than an entirely new engine?

MANDALAY likes this.
  13. Steph355au

Steph355au Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Quote from the guy in charge of engine development in an article about the F8 in TOFM -

Marzio Maresi – engine - says: “To fulfil new emissions and noise regulations, we needed to change the exhaust. That meant changing various engine parts and revalidating the engine, driveability and sound.” The only visible changed parts are the new aluminium intake manifold, and exhaust. Mechanical engineer Fontana adds: “we had to achieve the right sound with the new exhaust. We worked for six months together as a team, to create the best sound possible, both inside and outside the cabin.”

The words "only visible changed parts" are interesting. I suspect the engine is similar to the Pista in overall output but obviously not physically the same.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    ^ That's it. The engines are 100% the same. All that is different is the electronics. Don't know why this keeps coming back up ? The GPF is the exhaust line. Which can be changed and with the ECU tuning.

The F8 will have No GPF for certain markets. This is what I find interesting when the F8 will be compared to the Pista over here. The Pista is lighter.

FYI with the Porsche as I said will NOT have GPF. The exhaust system will be 100% the same build but the GPF will only be the canister itself , nothing in it . Like a catless pipe. It will be retuned .

Spoke to Porsche and if I order a 718 Cayman GT4 arrive end 2020 if it has a GPF they will refund all my money. They stated 100% no GPF. WE just cant have it because of the petrol high sulphur

15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Bothe the F8 and the Pista engines have 530 KW's . Same engine. The Pista is lighter, hence why Ferrari is claiming 2.85 , The F8 2.9 and the 488 3.0 seconds.

No even if one does assume they are different ( which they are not ) good on Ferrari for achieving the same output 530 KW's.

The next step is whats in the SF90 , Same engine grown to 4.0 liters hence 574 KW's.

Gee wouldn't it be a punch in the guts if the F8 Speciale had the SF90 engine.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yes it has a new aluminium intake manifold because the Pista is carbon fibre and its different to the 488 .

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not sure why it would be physically unfeasible to produce the F8 and Pista 488 variants at the same time. Same chassis and same engine with parts swap as stated above. Since they already have the GPF fully designed and ready to go on the F8 then simple to do both at the same time or even add GPF to Pista if need be. Not saying they will just saying no physical barrier to it.

BOKE and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  18. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #93 Carrerarsr, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    My car was ordered in april 2019 and according to the dealer in Germany due end Q2 2020. This changed about 4 weeks ago and now the car will be delivered December 2019. According to the dealer, they sold well over 20 pistas.
    I guess all european deliveries that can not be registered after 2020 will be earlier. Deliveries into markets without the GPF will be postponed into 2020 that would make sense.
    Coming back to modern production lines. Last time i saw the lines in Zuffenhausen a couple of weeks ago there were 992 s, turbos, gt3 RS snd 991 gts s on the line right behind eachother. This will be exactly the same at Ferrari. A modern production including a modern production planning allows you to do exactly the same that is performed at Porsche.
    For the GPF cars in Europe. Repeating the test cycles again for a car at the end of its lifecycle just makes no sense for Ferrari. The process takes a long time and is rather expensive.
    The new 991/3GT3 RS did hit Euro dealers but can not be delivered to customers cause the registration process withe german / european authorities is not finished. Might take a couple of more weeks but there will be no deliveries before that.

My guess is that in the States there will be 2020 deliveries, most probably not till the end of the year but till summer break 2020, the model year change.

of2worlds and Shack like this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes and no because Porsche is being rather disingenuous with their claim of no GPF. What in fact they are doing is tricking the engine into thinking the car is equipped with the GPF. They merely mimic the back pressure of a GPF equipped car without the pollution benefit of actually having the filter installed.

MANDALAY and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Yes for sure. We are expected deliveries much sooner than Q4

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With all the electronics interconnections in the current cars, the different ECU in engines matter - so I guess Ferrari will not try to put the F8 engine in the Pista, that would make a different car anyway; all the electronics is different on the F8 so an F8 with Pista bumpers would not be a Pista as it was type approved even though it would look exactly the same.
    Now the thing is that the GPF requirement is for the EU, if Ferrari is able to produce both engine set-up they could continue the Pista production in early 2020 for the rest of the world.
    But it's clear that Ferrari is now using the full mid-engine V8 production capacity for Pista and Pista spiders (and delaying the F8) so apparently their goal is to be able to switch production at the end of 2019.

Shack and SoCal to az like this.
  22. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My Pista went Green 10 today. Based on the tracking history of my other Ferrari’s I should see the car in January!

junc and SoCal to az like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Congrats! I literally went 10 red earlier this week. I was told December delivery. Nothing will be built in the August recess.

24. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Never believe what brands states regarding production numbers etc on limited (never ending) series.

This is a business for them and they do not take care about customer at all; if they had promised 1000 and in the end goes to 1500 they will never recognize. Production will end when numbers gone against them, never before.

Any exotic brand is behaving same way, sale slots, speculation of VIP customers, unkept promises, limited editions that are not so limited, final editions that are not such.. not to mention other facts like that there are 488 customers yet on the waiting list while Tributo is already launched so they are buying old model actually, also do not forget that Pista engine is fitted on Tributo that is not limited series, list of outrages is endless. And will continue increasing.

Customer is not a priority since cars will sale alone... customer is just a tool to maintain cash flow.

25. Pista production is ending on December 27, 2019 at 8:47:16 pm GMT.

sampelligrino and SoCal to az like this.