Will points go on NY license for a ticket in NJ?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by 348SStb, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. 348SStb

    348SStb F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

    I asked the question and some have emphatically said "YES!"

    However, the NY state DMV web site says "no"--points DON'T go on a NY license for a ticket in another state. See the text below.

    I'm not trying to debate anyone; I'm trying to find out the reality! Does anyone maintain that is information is incorrect or outdated?


    If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?

    The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

    If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

    Drivers from other states must contact the DMV in their home state to get information about the effect of a traffic violation conviction that occurs in NYS.

    If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

  3. Black355

    Black355 F1 Veteran

    Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
  4. noahlh

    noahlh Formula 3

    Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    I'd trust the DMV website on this one.

    Remember, there's a difference between points on your license as far as the DMV knows and points as far as your insurance company knows. A ticket in NJ will _definitely_ be known to your NYS insurance company (and your rates will go up accordingly), but that doesn't necessarily mean your NYS DMV points will be increased and you'll be any closer to losing your license.

  5. 348SStb

    348SStb F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

    Wow, I never thought about the insurance thing when driving wrecklessly in other states...
  6. RogerM

    RogerM Formula Junior

    Apr 26, 2004
    The ONLY reason I like Jersey is because I can get tickets there without worrying about DMV points. I've tested this theory more times than I'd like to admit :D
  7. To remove this ad click here.

  8. ghost

    ghost F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

    Dec 10, 2003
    "wrecklessly" - :D

    Tell me that wasn't just a psychological slip.
  9. ghost

    ghost F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

    Dec 10, 2003
    That's not always true. The transferrence of points depends on the inter-state reciprocity laws that exist. In Jersey, for example, you can get points on your license, and have a subset of those points transfer to NY state.

    Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
  10. Hubert888

    Hubert888 F1 Veteran

    May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    werd! i can vouch for VIk's expertise :)
  11. idloveaguinness

    idloveaguinness Formula Junior

    Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Very true. Mass ticket for NY reg did not transfer, twice. Neither did a Va ticket to ny........Ct, on the other hand, is another story.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

  13. RogerM

    RogerM Formula Junior

    Apr 26, 2004
    I only have experience with general moving violations. None of these transferred. If you guys waited around to see what would happen with a speed contest ticket or a 110+ in a 55/65 then hey, I'm half the man you are :D

    0mph and cherries vs 110mph and boost = Hammer the throttle :p

    Now you are going to make me ask you how you know they transfer so I can be ready for that circumstance.
  14. DancingDonkey

    DancingDonkey Karting

    May 16, 2004
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    So have I! No points transfer, I've been getting tickets in other states since I was 16 and have not seen one point on my NYS drivers record, nor has my insurance ever been affected by it. Have no fear out of state. And if you have an out of state drivers license get a NY one!
  15. udalmia

    udalmia Guest

    well well i have an indiana license thats handy
  16. 348SStb

    348SStb F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner


    Did you read the text from my original post?

    The DMV web site says they "don't" transfer, and so does RogerM.

    Is the DMV web site incorrect or outdated?

    MAYBE WE SHOULD TAKE A VOTE! I'm still trying to find out the actual reality here about NJ tickets!

    I guess one of us could just pick up the phone and call a lawyer... but that would be too easy :)
  17. RogerM

    RogerM Formula Junior

    Apr 26, 2004
    C'mon Vik fess up... Who'd you run over :eek:

    I know DUI/DWI stuff comes over from NJ but like I said, moving violations like speeding etc... don't come over. It's typically the more "SERIOUS" stuff that comes over.
  18. ghost

    ghost F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

    Dec 10, 2003
    Well if RogerM says so... :D

    I read what was written. I'm just telling you what a lawyer relayed to me in relation to a regular-way moving violation I received a ticket for. As you will note, there are others that have also vouched for a similar experience.
  19. Boosted930

    Boosted930 Karting

    Apr 9, 2004
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rob Gordon
    As far as your D.L is concerned - Four points will transfer from N.J to N.Y. Two points will not. If your moving violation is a 39:4-98 (or any number after the 4), I strongly suggest that you get it downgraded to a two point violation. This can be done with a simple court appearance and discussion with the prosecutor. No attorney required; unless of course you have a lengthy abstract of past violations. PM me if you need further... - Rob

Share This Page