Will the 296 even sell for over sticker? | FerrariChat

Will the 296 even sell for over sticker?

Discussion in '296' started by Cadeaux, Jul 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    All the other cars in the segment are selling for crazy numbers, but the 296 spec'd out is easily at $430-450k for an Assetto Fiorano. Do you see these really selling at a higher price than an STO or a 765? I just sold my STO on consignment and it sold for $525k. I don't know production numbers but isn't the STO much rarer than the 296? The dealer I sold my STO at has a 765 asking $625k. Is this the world we're in now where all these cars are $100k+ over sticker? I just have a hard time seeing the 296 being $600k with the SF90 being just a hair more for a used one at say $700k.

2. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    Maybe just enjoy the car?

It’s just a car.

3. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    My guess is it will sell for over sticker for a while when it first comes out, then it will settle down to msrp and after a year or two it will be below msrp. Pre-Covid this was the trend for almost every regular production Ferrari. Alternatively, in 6 months when it finally gets released the financial world could be in a much worse place and it could be selling for below msrp right away. Who knows but bottom line it is a depreciating asset.

Gh21631, LARRYH, DQSF and 3 others like this.
  4. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    I agree with mkraft on the likely scenario. Just take a look at F8s and how high those are. IMO they’ll come down a touch and new early 296s will fill in that spot. So yes early on I think you see 296s at +$100k.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    first cars always sell for a premium, I've bought them before for a premium and never regretted it - waiting 2 years for delivery of something is just too long in my childish mind that wants it ASAP

6. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    that's how i feel, i put a depost early, and even spec'd it pretty high bc its my first built to order ferrari, $450k, and if there is any inkling its going to be a later delivery, I am happy to pay over sticker, but at these price points, do you even see them going much over? I can't see this being $550k ie $100k over when its just such a mass produced car. The 765 lt and the STO are produced in much smaller quantity, they're going to build thousands of these, right?

CinciOptics likes this.
  7. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    Question on this. Who is selling at the beginning? This is my first f car that I have ordered and I signed some paperwork about not selling for 12 months except to the dealer? Is that all dealers or just mine who did that. Lamborghini never did that with me.

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I imagine the 296 production will be at least 5 years, no limits on production, and, per Ferrari, not a replacement for the F8 or any V8 model. If the 296 suffers from battery/EV related issues, expect F8 prices to go even higher.

9. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    It’s dealer dependent. If your a new customer most dealers will make you sign 12 month agreements. Sometimes it 3 or 6 months. If you have bought numerous cars they may not make you sign anything. However, there are Lots of ways around it. For example, some people buy it under a LLC and you can sell the LLC that technically owns the car. Therefore you are not violating any agreements. You will see lots of Montana LLC to save the sales tax and easy to transfer the LLC

Xrayv8 likes this.
  10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    there's not been a single car ever where that paperwork has actually resulted in a car not coming to the aftermarket

as said before I don't think the premium will be that high for early cars simply because to get an early car it has to typically be spec'd to a high price and the car is already quite expensive

11. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    That's what I was saying. This is my first built to order F car, I've bought a few used ones but when I built this I had no idea on pricing, we built it last october, before pricing was out, the AF + stripe is $65k by itself, another $30k+ for a triple layer paint and i really didn't even tick too many boxes and mine is $455k but I did what I had to do for "an early" one. In the past I'd just pay over sticker for a car so I figured with the F8's now selling for silly money. Dealer by me had a $372k sticker asking $549k. I figured might as well but $455k for a non limited edition mass production car seems nuts, no? The problem is if you don't go heavy spec, you won't see it for years. $450k was sticker for a pista 2 years ago. There was an 812 GTS on BAT recently with a $480k sticker i think. I don't know, I just enjoy driving cars and switching them out, I just don't know about $450k+ for something like this if there is room over sticker consider the STO and 765 above it are much rarer, now you could say the 296 has 33% more power than an STO but still can't believe this is nearly $500k. I was talking to a dealer friend of mine last night and he mentioned he couldn't believe he sold a solarbeam SLS black series for $420k in late 2020 and this week he just got offered a cullinan for $600k lol. Crazy times in the car world.

12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    yep, I fully understand your motivation for this. I actually hate ordering new cars and rarely do it because I despise waiting years for them - sometimes by the time there is already something else on my mind or a different car i'd prefer etc

Cadeaux likes this.
  13. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    The problem I'm having these days is the new model introductions that occur before my car is even built! It's crazy to have buyer's remorse before your car is delivered.....

DQSF, willcrook and Cadeaux like this.
  14. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Assuming real-world inflation is already 20% (compare your cost of everything today vs this time last year..) $450k for a 296 (especially GTS) is reasonable. Wait for the OEMs to start raising their prices once the world settles into the fact that this inflation is really prices resetting to the new normal.

Cadeaux likes this.
  15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I am going keep the GTB until the GTS lands. So really I'm praying for values to hold until '24...

16. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    My target for my GTB will be under 400K, or even around 375K. I might go crazy with GTS, but certainly not for GTB. I expect high percentage of the GTBs will be around 400K. I'm with ryalex.

ryalex and 09Scuderia like this.
  17. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    The problem is if you go for $375k you're gonna be waiting a while, from what my dealer told me at over $450k mine is the 4th most expensive and the way they do it, they simply bring the most expensive ones first. So its just a matter of do you spec at $375k and maybe get yours in 18 months or do you go heavy and get an early one. I don't know the answer, I did go heavy, but I won't lie paying near $500k for a production car is not something im truly excited about at this point but with what Im seeing F8 spiders sell for, maybe this is the new normal, $500k for a production car.

18. noobified

noobified Karting

Jun 5, 2008
    The STO isn't a limited edition car. In fact, you can order one at your local dealership now.

STO asking prices are below 500K all day long. Good job selling yours for 525K.

ryalex and Cadeaux like this.
  19. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    not to sound like a snob, but the Ferrari market is significantly different vs every other car company. Normal supply/ demand rules don't apply. Most REAL 296 buyers wouldn't consider anything other than a 296 and will take what they can get and pay what they are told. A Lambo, Mclaren buyer is cross shopping looking for deals. Porsche GT buyers are the closest behaviorally to Ferrari buyers.

20. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    While that’s fine and I agree don’t you think with an af 296 coming in near $420-450k for most there’s going to be limits on how much these can go for? A nice pista sold on bat this week for $480k not the best spec but surely the 296 won’t be more than a limited run pista? I just think these cars are getting insanely expensive. My first f car in 203 was a 360 that had a $156k sticker!

09Scuderia and ryalex like this.
  21. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    crazy times with inflation. It's nearly impossible to recalibrate mentally and emotionally to the fact that these newly inflated prices are going to continue to inflate even more AND stay there. No deflation. No housing crash.

Walmart is reducing inventory from shelves vs lowering prices. Why discount a can of Tuna when the wholesale cost is the retail cost in 6 months. All of us should be buying and storing the staples. Buy toilet paper now, store it and you basically make money because you are paying less today than what it will cost 30 days from now. All new cars (normal cars...) are selling for OVER MSRP. I read that a Kia is now selling for 6% over MSRP. That means that the MSRP is going to increase. This inflation cycle isnt ending soon. Last time the country was experiencing inflation was similar was 1971-1981. 10 Years. What do you think the real inflation rate is now? Check your monthly normal cost of living expenses and compare to a year ago. Real world inflation is around 20%.

If things get really knarly and rates have to be increased to match the rate of inflation (what Volker did in 81) we will see Mortgage rates around 20%. That will change peoples behavior. We are a loooong way from that. If the rates do increase that dramatically I have 2 words for you: Treasury Bonds. Current yields are around 3%....wanna bet they double if not triple in the next 12 months or less?

sparetireless likes this.
  22. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    You’ve got to consider how little sticker impacts the resell market. So will a $350k 296 go for $450? I think so. Hell I’d pay $450 to get it today. Will a $450k sticker car go for $550k? Personally I highly doubt it. Sure a few will. But in general I agree you’re thinking prevails. I’d prefer a Pista or a 765lt (def not an STO) at those prices. People will pay for the base car. They won’t overpay for your options. And if those options psychologically take that price point far above what they see the base car valued at then the high end resell cars will sit.

AF package and stripes may be the exception. Those are big noticeable changes. If someone’s looking for an AF car, they know where that base really starts at. Paint carbon and options, not so much.

23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Most of the run-up is CPI (cost-push inflation), oil prices, affects almost everything (i.e. transport, cost of plastics, etc) and it has dropped 20%+ in past few weeks, if oil was at $50BBL do you believe we would have as much 'inflation', I don't. I think the fed is making things much worse especially for weaker economies with its pushing up the cost of paper, no point in it at all. If the oil markets were more confident of US production (i.e. no interference on pipelines, lease permits, etc) prices would drop quite a bit and so would CPI, etc...a lot of this is being forced by a concerted effort to do exactly what is occurring now, not at all like 71-81 when so many other issues occurring.

24. Cadeaux

Cadeaux Karting

May 23, 2022
    Question, is every dealer like mine? Mine was honest and said they order the highest optioned specs first so if that’s true, we won’t see many low spec 296 early on, right? Or do other dealers not operate this way? I know mine is around $460k and from what the dealer told me there’s 3 that are more expensive in their queue. There’s going to be some pricey 296s for sure. That af + stripe at $65k is insane

25. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I think it depends a bit. My 812 GTS and Roma were moderate spec (but no carbon) and I got both very early cycle. They weren’t base for sure but not loaded…however, I have a pretty good history so I think it was a balance of the two at my dealer.

Cadeaux likes this.