Will the 612 survive against the Bentley C-GT and MB CL AMG? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Will the 612 survive against the Bentley C-GT and MB CL AMG?

Discussion in '612/599' started by ryalex, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

what a beautiful quote, the 612 definately seems to be the one of those cars you have to drive to appreciate even more. Im sold just with the interior, i have never seen such a good mix of modern and ferrari retro with quality.

2. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Agreed, the 612 is an amazing car.

Again, we should stop anyway discussing about what is better etc. Everyone has his favorite car, and none of them is disappointing, simply each appeals different people, and again, to repeat myself, that's why there are different makes.

3. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    true, but in Australia the 612 is in the stratoshere in price and the DB9 is about on par with the 911 turbo, meaning and correct me if i'm wrong u can have a DB9 and a 911 carrera for the same money as a 612, i'm not knocking it only the price is a bit hexy

4. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    We here it's about the same for the prices of 911 TT and DB9, they're about the same, just the 612 isn't that much more expensive.

The 911 TT lists at ~200k CHF, Db9 roughly the same, 612 is close to 300.

I agree the price difference is still very big, and it's a different discussion to know if any car is worth that kind of money, unless it's a one off and becomes some kind of work of art, or that production costs are really that high.
    I mean, the V12 was already built on the 550, the 456, the 575, the 612 (at different tune levels), most of the componentry is mass built or comes from suppliers that do the engineering.

But on the other hand, if you can afford it, why not...i know some people spending this kind of money for weekly yacht rentals, so they won't really care.

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    By way of comparison a 612 is around 600K AUD (approx 480K USD), a 996TT is 300K AUD and a DB9 is 350K here in Australia. You need to be a really passionate Ferrari fan to pay that sort of premium for the car.

6. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Indeed.

Wow, that's really amazing !
    Are there special taxes (if ferrari or huge CO2 ?), or do they simply charge more because people are willing to pay more ?

7. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    A premium on a Ferrari 2+2? This would never
    "fly" here in North America. Not a chance!
    Premiums on Enzos, Barchettas, no doubt the
    Superamerica when it arrives, are expected.
    Ordering a new 612 Scaglietti from a Ferrari dealer
    would end up costing in the high 200's, including sales tax.
    Then the price depreciation would set in after
    1-2 years. How much, though, is anyone's
    guess at this early stage in the model's life-cycle.

8. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Reality is the list of high end cars that don't depreciate very quickly is actually very short-- the latest Ferrari V8s, Ferrari special editions, and apparently the Aston Vanquish. Other than that they are all the proverbial keys thrown from the Lear jet.

At the end of the day, who cares? If you are one of the lucky few that can afford a car that costs as more than most people's homes, go buy it and the go out an enjoy yourself. Life is too short to worry about what will happen to your car 2 years from now.

9. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Exactly the posture I have taken regarding my 456M GT
    that I bought new in spring ' 03. What the heck,
    I love the car, driving a Ferrari is all about emotion
    and passion--anyway, and who ever said everything
    in life has to pursue a logical path.

10. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Yes, the thread is useless but you're wrong. The DB9 is not in any way a Ford.

Forza,

Cavallini

11. BoomerTV

BoomerTV Rookie

Nov 20, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The 612 is a superior drive over the Bentley GT and the Mercedes. The weight becomes a non-issue on b-roads with the 612, whereas the Merc & Bentley feel top heavy. To me, there is no comparison, I'd take the 612 over those two, in fact I did.

(Check out the August issue of Forza Magazine with my Stradale on the cover.)

12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    CONGRAT'S on the 612. Excellent choice. Post pic's if you a get a chance.

13. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Exactly why I would not get the Bentley. New ad for Ferrari: "Get the 612 not the Bentley - Sharon Osborne drives a Bentley."