Will the V-12 Survive ? - When's a good time to buy in to one | FerrariChat

Will the V-12 Survive ? - When's a good time to buy in to one

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F2003-GA, Nov 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Lamborghini estimates $450 million to make their V12 compliant with Euro 7 emissions rules
    IMO don't see them or Ferrari spending that kind of money to keep them around. So with that
    One begs the question how long will production N/A V-12's be sold for and when would be a
    good opportunity to buy one ? Link to an interesting article below

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/lamborghini-fighting-aventador-v12-engine/

2. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    V12 Ferraris range from $50k to $50m with options at every price point in between so it’s always a good time to get one!

john a barnes, sisiay, PTG1 and 9 others like this.
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Get ahead of the curve, once more people catch on to this situation, future V12 inventory will dwindle and at some point, probably 5 years out, prices will ramp up as the full effect is felt; that's my conjecture as this has never occurred before...recall, at this moment, Ferrari no longer makes the 812SF (coupe) and no known replacement exists...and where are the test mules? Lots of unknowns, but, we should know by end of year what VW's plans are for Lamborghini...

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO the most collectable production Ferrari's will be the last batch made before discontinuation of the N/A V12
    First thing comes to mid how well the 458's are doing compared to other models although they do depreciate
    from new MSRP value but the big question is what is good time to get in for the long run

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Maybe Lambo and Ferrari should just sell V12s to everyone but Europe, they can still be profitable . If they stop building them all together , I believe there will be plenty of good used V12s to go around. What do you fellows think ?

Thank you

LARRYH, Manda racing and F2003-GA like this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    A good time was 8 years ago when a Countach was a $100k car and a Diablo Roadster was $75k. A Boxer was like $90k.

Ferrari makes ALOT of front mounted V-12s so you probably have time there.

For me, the optimum configuration is a V-12 paired with a gated manual (with bonus points for a convertible).

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My fear is that some states (CA for example) will just flat outlaw them for legal road use eventually. Or tax them out of existence.

john a barnes, imahorse and paulchua like this.
  8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Without wishing to cause to much of a P&R diversion having elected a new president who is committed to rejoining Paris climate the US will have to lose V12s too as a consequence

john a barnes likes this.
  9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That would be sad

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Certainly some states, e.g. CA, can do outlandish things, but I expect V12s will be neither outlawed nor taxed inordinately. There will be so few on the road as years go by there will be far more used car battery pollution than V12 pollution.

Oengus, imahorse, EnzoItaly and 6 others like this.
  11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You obviously don't understand California....

Spezia and DavidA like this.
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bob, I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying except for CA I don't expect states to outlaw or overly tax V12's.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    As I understand the 812 successors will still be a NA V12 with no electric assist. Corrections encouraged.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's already going to happen, but I think there will be some exceptions for 'collector cars.'

Just my guess.

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    [QUOTE="JTSE30, post: 147562691 Lots of unknowns, but, we should know by end of year what VW's plans are for Lamborghini...[/QUOTE]

Maybe a Lambo Beetle?

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    2025 deadline appears to be unrealistic, raw material production is not able to ramp that quickly and will not for a long time (i.e. minerals used in EV batteries):
    (See 'Conclusions' in paper linked here: )
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7545311/

and

https://www.usitc.gov/publications/332/working_papers/gvc_overview_scott_ireland_508_final_061120.pdf

and, even it somehow the raw material feedstock existed, battery production is not scaled to support

and, even if none of those issues were present, where will the surplus electricity production originate?

You do realize that the UK is already being held hostage due to its inability to produce sufficient electricity for its present needs...
    https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/10/21/french-president-macron-threatens-a-devastating-electricity-embargo-against-renewables-obsessed-britain/

The only apparent result of fast-tracking Euro 7 is to destroy car manufacturers by either fining them into oblivion or reducing their production to whatever the number of battery packs they can secure (which will be far less than their current output, this article thinks production of approx. 10million 60kwh battery packs per year starting next year, but current demand is more than 80m per year...)
    https://www.industryweek.com/technology-and-iiot/article/22026518/lithium-batteries-dirty-secret-manufacturing-them-leaves-massive-carbon-footprint

So, hopefully exceptions will happen...but then there are the noise restrictions...

john a barnes and F2003-GA like this.
  19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    My daily driver is a 2500 diesel truck. My green weekend driver is v12 550m.

20. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Ferrari is heavily looking into biofuels/synfuels as is the F1 world. Louis Camilleri mentioned the importance of that in the last business analysts call. This is for sure the only viable way to go in the longer term. However the mid term future indeed seems to be very challenging with the upcoming regulations.

john a barnes likes this.
  21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I'm with you on ramp up for EV will take a while and 2025 will Not be the end of ICE
    My only point is emissions will be cut significantly question is can a big V12 survive
    seems like BMW is abandoning it and maybe Merc will too and those are Turbo charged
    which helps in meeting emissions an N/A V12 probably would have it much more difficult

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Didn't merc say they are no longer doing any ice development? Its all ev for them

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe the penalty is a fine correct? It would be akin to a heftier ‘gas guzzler’ tax, passed on to the consumers...so nothing new, albeit more expensive. Just my understanding, open to being corrected.