Will you soon want to buy a Toyota? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NeuroBeaker, Dec 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota (such as the GT86)?

1. Wow! That actually looks like a neat little car - I'm impressed.

2. It looks good, but I have concerns about whether it will actually be a good drive or not.

3. I'm not interested in that particular Toyota.

4. I'm not going to consider any Toyota.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Yup! Forgot to mention that. Auto is likely going to be about $1k as an option with paddle shifters, but I know I'd miss the clutch pedal soon after the novelty wore off. On top of that I'm pretty sure the performance of a paddle shifting automatic in a $25k car isn't anywhere close to that of a Ferrari/Lambo :D

2. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree...probably better*! :eek:

*loosely defined as "less expensive to repair." :D

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont think there is much cross shopping between Toyota and Subaru.

Most people dont even realize cars share platforms. Toyota buyers are very practical and look for that Toyota seal of reliability. Subaru isnt even on their radar. Subaru buyers are more car people and put performance for the dollar and exclusivity ahead of reliability. Toyotas are too common for them.

4. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    While true in the past and in most parts of the country I suspect in the NW & NE, i.e. Subaru's biggest markets, the brands are cross-shopped.

Also, what is different about the BRZ & GT-86 is that they don't just share platforms they darn near share body panels especially at first glance.

Yes, each will have it's hardcore fan that won't even consider the other, just as some Chevy guys won't buy a GMC, but I think in the markets where Subaru has a decent presence they will be competitors.

5. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    The differences between the BRZ and FR-S are very minute.

They have different front bumpers and fenders, different wheels, the Scion doesn't come with navigation, the interior colors are a bit different, the Scion doesn't have the option for auto climate control, and lastly the suspension setup differs between the cars with the Subaru geared more towards "grip" driving.

Basically the Subaru is a bit more upscale and I think that's what the companies are counting on to differentiate the two models from each other.

6. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g[/ame]

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Wow that is impressive and I saw alot of similarities in the neutral handling and oversteer characteristics of the AE86. I might just buy one in a few years.

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  9. JackAstoria71

JackAstoria71 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Completely agree. The LS460 is a wonderful car. I looked into getting one and test drove it. Went for the GS450h instead. My ex got the LS haha. They are gorgeous cars and extremely low maintenance, which is what I like.

I've never checked out the Hyundai Genesis, but it appears to be targetting LS buyers. I bet the Genesis takes a decent bite out of LS customers. It's almost like a clone of the LS. Lexus will need to up their game if they hope to keep their LS customers.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    If they have a turbo STi version I would be very, very tempted.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Hyundai has come a long way and their standard packages come with amenities that are costly options on other vehicles. Now back to the Scion/Scubby debate the Scubby is actually the higher end model with way more options than the Scion which is meant to be more of a purist model akin too the original AE86. Also the suspension is different thus giving the Scubby a more front end bias than the tail happy Toyota version.

12. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #87 4re Nut, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/22/2013-scion-fr-s-priced-from-24-930/

I wonder if the lesson learned from Ferrari dealers is pure...

:rolleyes:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Automatic is $25,300+Destination+TTL. Still no info from Subaru which is a little frustrating.

14. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    But who wants an auto for a car like this

15. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I'm guessing 90% of the automatics will head toward North America :p

But I agree. This is a drivers car, unless it has a proper DSG 'box it's supposed to have 3 pedals...

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nice that it'll be about $25k. That's a good price point. I'm definitely excited about this car. :)

I wonder why they won't be releasing a Toyota-branded version for the US? In photos, the Scion version seems to lack the little touches on the exterior (e.g. small rear spoiler) that the Toyota version images meant for Europe. Will all the same options such as those be available on the Scion car?

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    The only excuse I could imagine would be someone that doesn't have full use of both of their legs. There's a member on another forum who was injured in Afghanistan and is opting for the automatic for this reason.

$25k was the rumor for the past five or six months so it's good to see that they hit their price point. There are some disappointed people, but personally I'll be happy with the BRZ coming in around $26k.

I don't get the Scion release either??? I think they're really trying to resurrect that brand and keep it from going under. They may possibly be bringing the Supra back in the near future and I would expect that to fall under the Toyota badge. I'm not really sure on the options for the US, but just like anything, if you're willing to pay for it I'm sure people will be importing from Europe or Japan (JDM Yo!).

18. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I was initially looking at the BRZ for a fun DD, but at the end of the day for 26-27k, and without the need for the rear "seats", a lightly used 370z just seems like a much better buy.

19. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Used 370's were the initial cars I was looking at. After crunching the numbers I figured going with the BRZ was a better decision, at least for right now. I'm relatively young so the insurance quotes I got were about 30% higher for the Z and the gas mileage is about 40% less. I also like the idea of being able to fold down the rear seats and fit some moderately sized items in the back of the BRZ if the situation calls for it.

20. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    FWIW: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/23/2013-subaru-brz-tested-at-0-60-in-7-3-seconds-1-4-mile-in-15-3/

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Therein lies another issue unless things have changed since I was into MR2s. The Toyota ecu has always been basically impossible to hack into unlike other manufacturers ecu's (aka Honda and Subaru) where fuel and timing maps can be adjusted via a simple USB port and laptop. So this could a be another item that sets the Scubby apart from the Toyota in a positive way.

22. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I believe that Toyota and Subaru have already said that the ECU for this car will be accessible by tuners. I don't have a source, but I think they stated this a while back.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That will be great!!! Since I have so many years experience with Toyota's I was alittle concerned simply because that was my biggest issue and especially with my '92 MR2T running a T66 turbo on a stock fuel system. Unfortunately I would probably still have that car if I had not lost my job in the oil/gas/seismic industry shortly after purchasing a Autronic SMC ems for it, sorry I digress.

An accessable ecu will be great simply because of the multitude of changes without the cost of a standalone.

24. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #99 4re Nut, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWcHJ_nr2Zs[/ame]

TRD Japan's catalog.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. ScuderiaWithStickPlease