Williams F1 | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Williams F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by BJMoravek, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If its going to show up, it should be there now and at the track. If the delay was because of money then I wonder if the car will get to Race 1. But assuming that money is there, then who is the "father" of this car? Whose brain and eyes and hands have shaped it? If this is a last ditch Hail Mary from a spastic quarterback and it falls on its face, then one has to wonder how long the money will stick around. Even Hollywood wouldn't write a story where they show up two days late and then produce a car that is fighting for second or third all season. We'll see how fresh the fish smells in an hour or two.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    A bloggers website claims that there are two factors behind the Williams delay -

1) some brake duct and suspension components were designed incorrectly and didn't fit together when it came time for assembly last week! Some parts had to be redesigned and sent off for manufacturing again, to be built in less than a week when a 2-3 week lead time is usual
    2) Williams reorganized their internal manufacturing departments over the winter, and there is internal upset over the way it was handled; so some resources are refusing to work longer shifts, delaying internal manufacturing of parts and assembly of the cars.
    3) A different site suggested that Williams was late in sending part designs to external suppliers (somewhat related to the first point); where 4 weeks was normal turnaround time, Williams sent the designs late and asked them to turn around in 2 weeks... which just can't happen in many cases.

Bad planning and management of the design and build processes over the winter, it sounds like. And in this day and age of CAD, there's no excuse for parts not fitting!!!

https://thejudge13.com/f1/why-are-williams-f1-so-bad/exclusive-the-reason-williams-are-late-to-test/

4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

yep, in the 3rd day of testing the FW42 made its debut in the 2nd half of testing because it is STILL WAITING FOR PARTS. The car is not done. Unbelievable.

It's just a matter of time before this team folds.

Claire is supposed to make a statement afte testing. No Paddy Lowe to join in the statement.

stavura, Bas and william like this.
  5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It's smelling like rotten fish!!!

william likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No paddy lowe?
    Place your bets.

Unbelievable, really. I genuinely want them to do well. It pisses me off how mismanaged this team is. An absolute shambles.

7. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Clearly paddy Lowe has got to go, but Claire Williams needs to fall on her sword too. Shambles from start to finish and these two clowns are trying very hard to put one of the best brands in F1 out of business. Such a shame.

375+, william, A348W and 2 others like this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I never liked Paddy, he was trying to take credit at mercedes for the job that ross and Michael developed...Toto did a sweat deal exchanging him fro Bottas...

sammysaber, subirg and Bas like this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    With him as top engineer the team went from 5th fastests to finishing last....in 2 years. 7 points they scored last year. Amazing.

Ryan..., 375+ and william like this.
  10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I very much agree. She has shown what she can do. Enough. She may have killed the organization for good.

william likes this.
  11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Williams still using a cast aluminum gearbox casing rather than proprietary CF like everyone else. they appear to just be fighting to stay alive, but they do have some nice ideas on this car.

Bas likes this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The FW42 is an "illegal" car and has to make changes before Melbourne. :oops:

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Huh?

14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's criminally slow, thus changes must be made!

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Paddy has to make a few changes on the mirrors and front suspension (aero bits on the lower a-arms)

ROTF......:D

william likes this.
  16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    william likes this.
  17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    About time some heads rolled at Williams.

something is definitely not right there! Just hope they can pull it back together as I like the team.

william likes this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    IMO, Paddy is on a "shoe-string" budget. There's only so much he can do. Unfortunate he has to take the heat for it but that's the business.

One could make the argument though with SPRPF1T(aka Force India) and how they have managed to beat Williams in the WCC with all the drama.

william likes this.
  19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Wrong victim. Claire has to go.

crinoid likes this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Two managers' depatures just before the season start would be catastrophic, I think.
    Surely the sponsors would pull out in such case, no?

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The fault is a 51/49 split in Claire’s favor.

22. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The real problem is Frank Williams...he is trying to run his team as if it were still the 1970s. Clair is his figurehead...but it all revolves around him. I feel sorry for the rest of the team...and the drivers...they are trying to roll an impossibly heavy rock up Mt. Everest. To be in this much chaos just a week away from the first race, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show up at all. If they do show up, they'll use the time for practice but if they are too slow they could be excluded from the grid.

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Is Frank Williams still in charge of his team? I thought he more or less retired since his wife passed away.
    On paper probably, but I don't think he is travelling to the GPs anymore, or at least not to all of them.
    Also I doubt if he is very often at the factory now. So he may have lost touch with reality and relied on reports to make an opinion.
    Claire Williams was prefered to her brother to carry the torch, but she has very little grasp of engineering or experience of managing a racing team at that level. You cannot improvise when you find yourself at the head of 500+ workers in what is a very intense industry.

The team should have been sold years ago, IMO. Sad to see it go that way.

24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    What´s the problem with the front suspensions exactly? Almost everybody is doing something similar.

25. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The put aero devices on the a-arms(lower one).

Image Unavailable, Please Login