Window cable too tight by a 1/4"! | FerrariChat

Window cable too tight by a 1/4"!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Quasimotor, May 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Finished rebuilding the window regulator on my 1984 308 QV Euro. Even with the bottom cable going PAST the tensioner pully, I simply can't get the cable to go down around the last pully (lower rear). It's about a 1/4" too short to get over the lip of the pully.

I tried running the motor all the way one way, then the other to wrap the grooves on the regulator tighter - did't work. I compared the winds to a used identical part, same number of turns - four including both cable ends. I'm tempted to remove a winding, but I'm pretty sure that will make the whole system too loose.

Anybody have an idea what to do?? The cable was easy to remove when I took the motor out.

Many thanks in advance...

Quasi

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I believe I used 3 windings, not 4. Also, dont bottom it out one way or the other - that is the tightest point.

3. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The windings are about 3 2/3. The cable comes off the spool at a very specific place and angle. There are 3 posts that hold the assembly together, and there is one post that is between the cable. Does your cable come off of the spool at the right post?

Here is a picture of the installed assembly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    ^^ this. Did the very same thing with my old 84 GTB, three wraps and you’re good to go.

5. Squirrelmonkey

Squirrelmonkey Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Manitoba ,Canada
    Full Name:
    Tom Thieme
    Quick Question..Is your cable one piece or did you split then rejoin the cable with a ferrule ?