Window Installation | FerrariChat

Window Installation

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Dave330gtc, Apr 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I'm having a struggle getting the windshields back in the GTC. Can anyone tell me if the rubber gasket and the chrome surround should both go on the glass before installation or should I just put the rubber around the window and set it in place before trying to force the chrome in place? I am fighting it trying to get everything to stay together.

2. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    Dave, I hope you get detailed answers soon. My 365 GT 2+2 is sitting in the garage with no glass. I'm working on putting everything else back together - putting off the inevitable. I think I'm going to call a windshield installation company and pay them to come to my home to help me, but I would like to know what to do myself anyway, so I'll know whether they are competent.
    Good Luck!
    Tom Kizer

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

It depends on what the chrome shape is. If the trim is just concaved shaped, and there is a little flap on both sides of the rubber gasket to hold the chrome in, you can install it after the glass and gasket is in place. However if there is a leg on the chrome that goes into a groove on the gasket you will need to install the chrome with the gasket and glass. Does your gasket have an interlock on it? Or if it is one piece and no interlock you will need to pull the gasket and glass in with a string. Do you undertand what I am saying? Does this make any sense?

4. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    It looks to me as if the chrome trim flange has to fit into the rubber gasket and then the whole combination needs to fit over the seam in the car. I can see using the string after the whole unit is in place in order to get the inside of the rubber around the edge in the car. I am having trouble holding everything in place before I transfer the unit to the car.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Use masking tape at about 6" intervals to hold it all together. Take the tape over the glass about 6" on both sides of the glass and around the gasket. It will clean up real easy after the installation, but will hold it all together.

6. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    #6 330gt, Apr 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I presume that the chrome is the same as the one on my 330 GT. T-shaped (top of T is what is visible) with a J-shaped hook on the bottom of the stem of the T. See the picture for an end view.

If so, the glass and rubber go on without the trim first. Then the trim is put into the groove in the rubber (with some lubrication) and tapped into place.
    Here's how I installed mine:
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/windshield_trim.htm

With the price and problems with getting a new piece of glass, I would take the car and glass to a professional (or have an installer come to you).

Regards, Kerry

PS, for lubrication, I use a 'personal lubricant'. It's safe for rubber and water soluable. The other choice is a liquid soap.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

That style of trim looks to me like it should be installed into the gasket before the gasket and glass is installed. Just my opinion. Beating it in will most certainly break glass very easily.

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

The secret to get the rubber gasket over the metal flange in the car is the CR Lawrence hook tool. Look it up online. These are really handy for removing hoses too.

9. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Thanks for the tips. Kerry, my chrome surrounds are 1 piece. The problem is when I get one side seated in the rubber the other side does not want to go, etc. etc. I will give it one more try with the tape idea and then possibly proceed to placing the glass without the chrome. I will use the lubricant freely.

10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Is it new rubber? I've seen restorers go through 2-3 different windcreens and rubber before they found one that would fit on the car. Ahh, the joys of handmade cars!

11. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    It is new rubber. I have had the windows out of the car for some time but I have stored them in a rack on their side to try to kep them from warping. I also have had the chrome surrounds rechromed. I guess those are all variables that seem to be making it quite a chore to fit everything back together. I am tempted to temporarily fit the glass and rubber in place on the car just to satisfy myself that those pieces will still fit and then decide what to do.

12. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Glass is in the car. After 3-4 hours of getting the rubber surrounds and chrome trim centered and together on the glass and everything taped together extensively it took about 10 minutes to put both in the car. Two people on the outside pressing down on the glass and one person in the car pulling the rope around the flange. They dropped in perfectly. I feel relieved as this seems to be another big hurdle past me in getting this car together. Thanks for everyone's input.

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I have been following this thread for info on windshield installation. I am considering replacing windshield in my GTC. Where did you obtain the new gasket? I think I read that you used the same glass. I will be needing a new windshield as the old is scratched and delaminating at the top. Do you know a reliable source for glass?

14. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I did reuse the original glass. The rubber was purchased a few years back from Partsource. Re-Originals has front and rear glass for the GTC on their website along with new rubber. Also, Tom Shaughnessy has been offering rear glass lately. I was most worried about the chrome surrounds. I had them rechromed a while back by The Finishing Touch. They did an excellent job of not distorting the shape of the metal.