Window steel wire | FerrariChat

Window steel wire

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 365, Sep 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365

365 Karting

May 31, 2011
    Venezuela
    Full Name:
    German Alvarez
    I have a 68 365 GT 2+2 European.
    I have to replace the steel wire thats makes the windows go up and down.
    Someone knows where can I buy the drivers side.

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I use locally sourced cable that is sold by the foot. It is readily available in our hardware stores or marine supply stores. They also have the small copper stops that get crimped onto the cable ends.

Try to be as accurate as possible in measuring the cable length. It doesn't take too much of an error in cable length to get beyond the available adjustment in the pulley system.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Check your local (?) air craft or boat parts/supply retailers or even regular hardware store. Also, as suggested, get some cable locks to tie the ends with and to prevent "unraveling" of the cable, burn the ends with torch after cutting but before attempting installation.

4. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    be aware that wire comes in 2 types....a type to be used in straight lengths is very stiff and not to be designed to be used on blocks / making turns...but used in straight runs to secure things DO NOT USE this type for the window mechanism

the other type is much softer ( woven ) and will easily make a turn or bend around a block or be spooled ...

also wire can be had in standard steel or stainless steel... regular steel is probably the OEM and useable... the stainless steel variety is not much more cost wise and would be preferred...

it is all generally available in the more mechanically inclined retailers, depending on who they cater to... google for a shop near you

5. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #5 John Vardanian, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #6 straightpipe, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Search the 365gtc/4 owners site for installation tips. Mic the cable diameter and match as close as possible so it tracks properly on the drum. Try to make sure that when the drum is unspooled, the cable still has some rap and is not straight out. That way it is not flexing at a single point every time the window is operated. Not a fun job and requires patience. I had the motor out a dozen times getting the length tuned. A year later a pulley broke and had to do it all over again.
    I couldn't find cable that would stay on the drum without tension so I used masking tape to keep it in place until it was installed.

7. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    I wouldn't be concerned about determining the exact length of wire needed, as any extra length can be trimmed when installed...it will make the install easier...

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I might add, replacing the cable on the first door took about two day, the second one 30 minutes.

john

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Might be wise to have a proper look inside the door to see what will start rotting when water flushes through the door. Stainless is a wonderfull material but unfortunately it has a tendency to agressively corrode every other metal in contact.