Window wind cable snapped! | FerrariChat

Window wind cable snapped!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by timthetooth, Apr 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timthetooth

timthetooth Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Hello, I was getting a few funny noises from the window winder inside the door so had a look this afternoon.
    The cable had frayed down to about the last 5 strands on the winding hub, driven by the electric motor.
    Can the cable be replaced, or do you need a new motor assembly. It looks like a typically tricky job to change the cable, and a typically expensive job to change the whole thing!
    I assume the window was connected to the cables in the wrong place, allowing the cable to completely unwind, and then be bent back in the wrong direction.
    Has anybody got any ideas where to start.
    Regards,
    Tim.

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Stop at the local bicycle shop near you and get some cable. The rest is going to be a mystery. You might remove the other door panel and peer in. It should be a mirror image of what you want when you're done.

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    CRAP!
    I had my door panel off on Monday.
    I KNEW I should have taken a picture.

sorry.

4. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
  5. dromer

dromer Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    check out the C4 web site. www.365GTC4.com dont know if this translates, but one of our members just posted an extensive how to do this for the c4.

Good luck
    Dave

6. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Tim:

This is really no big deal. All you need to do is buy some cable and re-run it. This happened on my car and while tedious, it was not that hard. Once caution, though, is don't assume it is an EXACT mirror image of the other side door - on mine the drivers side had an extra pulley that the passenger side did not - but, the other side will give you a pretty good idea of the routing.

A

7. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    This was the first job I tackled on my car when I got it. The coupling between the motor and the cable winder gearbox had broken. That part is sold separately for $48. When I replaced it with some difficulty the window would come part way down cock-eyed. When I removed the other door panel I found the dirver's side cable was run through the pulleys incorrectly and was likely the reason for breaking the coupling which is designed as the weak link.

You are welcome to try using a bicycle cable but hear is the part situation:
    - motor sold separately, price?
    - Coupling $48
    - winder mechanism with cable is about $240
    All were in stock at Algar in Philly.

You must get the cable wound exactly equal on each side of the winder and wound out to the end of the drive pulley. I think it is 3 turns in each direction. Then you start with the window in the middle. Besides keeping my wifes nimble hands inside the door panel the other trick I found was to use a small tyrap to hold the cable on the winder while you are snaking the assembly through the speaker opening. I put the tyrap holding the two strands of cable tight against the pulley. (I have to go through the speaker hole because my doors have 'Federal" crash bars installed in the doors. If yo do not have them it may go through the large opening.

My wife and I had that think in and out at least 5 times before we got it right, but now we could now do it again relatively easily. I did not need to replace the cable yet. Mine is a little kinked and one wire wants to fray but it is working well for some months, without a lot of use.
    Good luck
    Ken

8. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    This is a common repair on C4's Daytona's and 365/400's etc. It is not difficult but it can be time consuming and a pin in the butt.
    Cable from a bike or hardware store is what you need and do your self a favor and draw the route of the cable before you take it off. As many of these as I have done I can still route the cable on the wrong side of one of the pulleys and mess my self up. A simple diagram take out all the mystery.
    Also one tip, keep tension on the cable while you are putting it in, this stops it jumping or getting tangled.
    You will grow close to your car on this repair!!