355 - Window wiring? | FerrariChat

355 Window wiring?

Discussion in '348/355' started by cascade, Sep 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cascade

cascade Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    I just recently had my door cards refinished / reupholstered and it seems the shop put them back and pinched some wires. Where do these two wires go? I know the gray one goes on the missing connection on the drivers side (red) but where does the black/purple go? It looks like a ground.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Your switch pins appear to be numbered, so grey (H) goes on pin 1 of the red switch. The black/purple (NZ) jumps the #4 pins on both switches.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Note: The internals of these switches don't always match the wiring diagrams. You can't always use them to determine the serviceability of the switches.

4. cascade

cascade Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    I cannot see any numbering to them. As well, the purple/black wire is coming from the source with all other wires. It’s not a jumper.

I did touch the connection of purple / black to the passenger switch (one of the 5) terminal and the passenger window began to go down.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #5 Qavion, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021

Isn't that a "1"?

Yellow/black matches up with the diagram for pin 1. Read horizontally, right to left. The other colours match, too.
    1: yellow/black
    2: white/green
    3: grey
    4: black/purple
    5: grey.

Then it's spliced into pin 4 of the red plug as shown in the diagram. i.e. two wires on the same pin.

The door plug ("source") is shown in the wiring diagram. Do you know your Italian colour codes?

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  7. cascade

cascade Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Trying this in 15 minutes. Will report back shortly.

8. cascade

cascade Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Worked perfect thank you! Now to figure out the best way to get the damn wires to stay. Any suggestions would be great. I am not an electrical person as you can see.

Qavion likes this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That's the hard part. I don't know if anyone has repinned these type plugs before. I did a quick search on the 348/355 forum and couldn't see anything. Can you see a brand name on the plug? @m.stojanovic is usually the expert in these kinds of things.

I bought myself a cheap set of pin removal tools, but I haven't used it yet:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174698044947?

With the pins removed, I guess you could carefully prise the fold-over tabs on the pins apart and recrimp, either with an expensive crimping tool or whatever you have available. Solder may help keep the wires secure.

10. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    notice in the photo the black and purple wire looks melted or burnt about 1 1/2 inches above the plug ?

Qavion likes this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    This might be a bonus. I guess @cascade could cut out the short damaged section and splice his detached black/purple wire to this section with some suitable heatshrink to cover the conductors.

12. cascade

cascade Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Thank you everyone for the help. The wire is not melted, that’s just some silicone that I added earlier to keep the switch’s in place and it got a tad messy.

I think a solder is my best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Ahchard

Ahchard Karting

Feb 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Lau
    My windows sometimes dont work when car is running... Need to turn off engine with ignition at ON to open/close.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

14. cascade

cascade Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Soldered the wiring points in and now everything is working perfectly. Thank you to everyone.

Qavion likes this.
  15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the update!