windows xp start up error message help needed | FerrariChat

windows xp start up error message help needed

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WCH, Sep 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm getting this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Do I need to re-install windows? How can I reinstall just the specified file?

THANK you.

2. netfreak

netfreak Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    BC, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul Lezica
    have you tried booting into safe mode or recovery mode? if that works, all you need to do is get somone to send you that file and put it back in the directory. otherwise you're going to be stuck doing a full re-install... i've had this happen to me before (not for that exact file though).

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I've booted into recovery mode and gotten the good old DOS prompt - not sure what to do from there. have not tried safe mode. I'll play with it a bit when I have some time this evening - thank you for the reply!

4. ponyboy

ponyboy Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    Barrington, Il
    Full Name:
    Jimmy McGue
  5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    CRAP! - For troubleshooting a "Window" problem online

DOUBLE CRAP! - Because hal.dll is an important system file.

Most likely cause is a corrupt boot.ini file, if you are computer sauvy and know that this file is up to par great, just go back and add the DLL ....or...you will need the Windows operating system CD and choose the option to "restore", "repair", or "recover". It won't mess up your setting, just re-copy the system files.

6. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    The same thing happened to me last week, this may be of help:
    Mark

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00044897&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us

» Return to original page

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Resolving Error: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

This document applies to HP and Compaq Desktop PCs that come with Windows XP.

When Windows starts, the following error message appears:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Use the following steps to resolve this error:

Before you begin
    See if the computer can enter into Windows XP Safe Mode:

Turn on the computer.

At the first screen, repeatedly press the F8 key to bring up the Windows Advanced Options menu.

Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

If the computer starts in Safe Mode, go to Step 2: Editing the boot.ini .

Step 1: Replacing the boot.ini
    Use the following steps to replace the boot.ini file with the backup boot.ini file:

Restart the computer.

At the first HP startup screen, repeatedly press the F8 key to bring up the Windows Advanced Options menu.

Select Return to OS Choices Menu and press Enter.

At the OS Choices menu, select Microsoft Windows Recovery Console and press Enter.

Enter the number adjacent to C:\WINDOWS (volume to be repaired) and press Enter. In most cases, the number of the correct volume is 3.

When prompted, type the administrator password and press Enter. If no password has been set, press Enter.

At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, type the following: cd \

Press Enter. At the C:\> prompt, type the following: ren boot.ini boot.in2

Press Enter. At the C:\> prompt, type the following: ren boot.bak boot.ini.

Press Enter. At the C:\> prompt, type the following: exit

Press Enter.

The system automatically restarts. If the computer does not start normally, continue to the next Step.

Step 2: Editing the boot.ini
    Use the following steps to edit the boot.ini file.

Click Start, then click My Computer.

In the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

In the Folder Options window, click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings area, under Files and Folders, add check marks to the following items:

Display the contents of system folders

Show hidden files and folders

and remove the checkmarks from the following items:

Hide extensions for known file types

Hide protected operating system files

A warning message appears stating that you have chosen to display protected system files.

Click Yes to accept the changes.

From the My Computer window, locate and double-click HP_PAVILION (C:).

Locate and right-click boot.ini, then click Properties.

Remove the check mark from Read-only, click Apply, then click OK.

Double-click the boot.ini file.

The boot.ini file will open in Windows notepad.

Edit the boot.ini file to read exactly as follows:

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

NOTE: If your computer came with Windows XP Professional, edit the line referring to Home Edition under [operating systems] to read as follows: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

After editing the boot.ini file, place a check mark next to the Read-only attribute in the file Properties window, and then click OK.

Restart the computer. The error message should no longer appear, and Windows should start as normal.

Alternate Solution
    If the steps above fail to resolve the error, use the following steps:

NOTE: The following steps require that the recovery partition on the hard drive be intact. If the recovery partition has been removed or damaged, use a recovery partition, recovery tools CD, Windows XP CD, or recovery console CD to access the command prompt or recover the computer.

Turn on the computer. When the initial logo screen appears, press the F10 key repeatedly until a message about starting recovery appears.

At the Recovery screen, click Advanced Options and then press the Alt and D keys at the same time to go to a command prompt.

NOTE: If the command prompt does not open, start the computer with a Windows XP CD, Recovery Console CD, or Recovery Tools CD in the top CD or DVD drive. Enter the recovery console by pressing the R key just after the first screen, and then logging into Windows. Doing so opens a command prompt.

At the command Prompt, type the following: diskpart

Press Enter and type the following at the diskpart prompt: list volume

A table of drive volumes and names appears.

Note the drive letter next to the main drive volume name (usually D or H next to HP_PAVILION or PRESARIO).

Type the following at the diskpart prompt: Exit

Press Enter and type the drive letter followed by a colon :)) at the command prompt. For example, D:.

Press Enter and type the following at the command prompt: attrib -h -s -r boot.ini

Press Enter and type the following at the command prompt: boot.ini

The file opens for editing inNotepad. Edit the boot.ini file to read exactly as follows:

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

NOTE: If your computer came with Windows XP Professional, edit the line referring to Home Edition under [operating systems] to read as follows: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Save and Exit the text editor.

Type the following at the command prompt: attrib +h +s +r boot.ini

Press Enter and type the following at the command prompt: Exit

Click Quit on the recovery screen to restart the computer.

The computer should now restart without the error message. If the error still persists, perform a full system recovery.

Still not finding what you're looking for?

» Return to original page

Privacy statement Using this site means you agree to its terms Feedback to Webmaster

© 2005 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    THANKS to all who replied. You inspired me to consult online tips, the Dell tech support site, and other resources. And here's how I fixed the problem:

playing around in the recovery console, I couldn't make any headway, even following the specific instructions here and elsewhere. I typed "Help" to see the complete list of commands, and noticed "fixboot." Having little to lose, I typed it in, hit enter, and watched as the thing fixed itself. Amazing.

Thanks again.