458 - Windshield cracks | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Windshield cracks

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by CrapsLuckyDice, Dec 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Punk antifa mailbox :D

12.8 does seem steep. Just an estimate, haven't done it yet. May need to have it towed in, hard to see where I am going now.

2. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    well do HALF the job, cut the sealant, take out the windshield and drive it in. The windshield is GLUED in. Start prying it out, I'd bet it comes out, Maybe use a HEAT gun to help. Got some sort of attachment at the top for the mirror. My labor for installing the windshield was $350.00. No one would charge that little and have the job take 12 hours. I only had it done at the Ferrari Dealer so if the glass guy had any questions, he might get some assistance. The back up mirror is mounted on a dovetail base. the mirror virtually snaps off the windshield by pushing it DOWN- in case you're brave.

How did a mailbox hit the windshield and not trash the car?

3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    That is the million dollar question! I really don't know, but it worked out in my favor.

A better question is, why was a mailbox in the middle of the road? :p

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I do not think after market glass exists for the 458 spider.

Although the dealer doesn’t do this sort of work, it is still a good idea to go to the dealer so that the repair work can be overseen and this gives you the benefit of having some recourse if day the mirror falls off (happened to me) or there are other problems such as a leak or the home link or electrochromic mirror fails to work.

As far as carfax goes, the idea that a windshield replacement with a factory glass diminishes value is simply silly.

Also do check to see if your insurance policy has glasss coverage. Most do with a small premium. I’ve always opted in.

also people change their windshield due to putting and sand blasting which happens along the coast when you drive thru these sand gusts.

Ever heard your car get sand blasted with gusty winds. Your windshield is getting micro pits too.

5. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    FL requires insurance to pay 100% for windshield replacement when one has full coverage.

This is my daily driver and the dealer says they can't do it until the 25th, and need it for more than a day. How inconvenient.