Windshield Restoration | FerrariChat

Windshield Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by srslusso, Mar 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    #1 srslusso, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Can a vintage Ferrari windshield be polished or coated in some way to take out 40 + years of pitting and road rash ? I am not talking about 1 star crack that can be repaired with epoxy,but rather the whole windshield. What can be done to replace one if no spares are available God forbid !

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If it comes to it these guys can make any windshield to DOT specs.

http://www.viracon.com/

They've made MK-IV windshields and P 3/4-412P windshields for me.

3. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    The problem with polishing, especially laminated safety glass, is that it is nearly impossible for the polisher to maintain optical flatness.

On a modern car I once had a well-regarded local polisher remove some relatively light scratches caused by an overenthusiastic gas station attendant working on bird poop with a squeegee. The waviness would have been intolerable had it not been confined to a lower corner of the windshield.

For replacement glass these people seem to have a good reputation: http://www.sicurvetro.com/

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Not trying to make this sound too much like a sales pitch but as someone who's been producing laminated, curved (D.O.T. approved) automotive glass for custom applications as part of my restoration business for over 15 years, I've come to understand that one of the simplest way to determine if scratches (or nicks/chips) in the glass are too deep to polish out with a reasonable results (i.e. without distortion affects as ColdWater mentioned) is to run a fingernail over it/them to see if they can be felt.
    And if I understand srslusso correctly, reason for his question is that the said windshield has decades worth of slight "road-rash" all over it and therefor only "satisfactory" solution is to have it replaced (?).
    Timo

5. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    What is the easiest way of getting a quotation from you for a new windshield for my 365GT 2+2.

6. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry for the delay, I've been away for few days. Thanks for Your inquiry, but with all due respect, if the windshield is readily available from any aforementioned (or other ?) sources and/or if you are able to accept "one-size-sort-of-fits-all (?)" approach, I can't compete price-wise, since my production methods are geared more toward creating coach-built type fit for a specific application (i.e. like Jim mentioned) and pricing usually starts around several thousands per job.
    Over 15 years, my approach has allowed me to make custom-fit, curved glass so precise that no further body-work/-modifications/-painting has been required, which some of you might know is not always the case with these "one-size-fits-all" products. Also, my experience ranges from many "one-off"/coach-built/prototype Ferraris, Bentleys/Rolls', Maseratis, Talbot-Lagos, etc... to many hot rods/customs (Proofs and testimonials are available privately).
    And yet, many wonder why they've never heard of my business nor seen me advertise in public. Well, it's a long story.
    Timo

P.S. My business is located in Southern California and contact info is available on request
    through PM. Thanks.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #8 Napolis, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is Very True regarding "One size fits all". This is the only way to go if you want a good result. I'm glad to learn of another source. It's also very helpfull to be close to the person building the windshields for you as there is a bit of back and forth until the tooling is perfect.

Making a complex windshield is a work of Art.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    FWIW, and taking the previous comments from Napolis and others into consideration- if you do go the replacement route, I remember a friend replacing a windshield on a 246 GTS in the 90's and going through Several NOS (I want to say 5 or 6) windshields before the correct fit was obtained. All of them were purchased through reputable dealers/suppliers. There was just enough variation in the parts and the car that it took that many tries to get it right.

Good luck with the project and I hope you're able to find a solution that meets your needs.

Dave

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is that for real? I tried to buy one a few years ago, and there were none available. Maybe they had some made?

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Fortunately (?), of 100's of windshields and etc..., I haven't had but couple of small incidents regarding the fit after the initial pattern/mold fabrication and, although, in each case they were results of something other than what I had done, I did my best to correct them as rapidly as possible with no expenses spared (or shared with the client), as I do tend to have a disposition to behind my work 100+ %.
    Timo

P.S. BTW, Mr. G., to perhaps help You to put a face on me, we briefly met at the Thursday evening party at the Sunset Center in Carmel last August, next to Your Dino Comp. and little later, toward the end of the evening, I was the character with toolbox (and the coveralls over my diner jacket) laying on the ground under the black Lusso in the parking lot trying to isolate and fix it's fuel leak.
    Not my car nor restoration, though. Just trying to help a friend. :)

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Of course! You got that puppy going. Hope to see you there this August.

Best