Wines from Costco | FerrariChat

Wines from Costco

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by joker57676, Feb 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    So, I am really not much of a wine drinker, but do enjoy a nice red wine with the wife from time to time. Other than knowing a couple of types of wine I generally prefer over others (pinot noir, malbec, chainti), I know nothing about wine. Most of my wine purchases come from Costco based on their written descriptions since that's where I shop most often. I would like to broaden my knowledge and try new things, so I thought a thread where people could post good buys from Costco would be useful to share experiences.

That said, what does everyone like to pick up from Costco?

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The Kirkland cashew nuts go well with the wines in the afternoon. :rolleyes:

3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    A Costco trick. If you look on the product price tag and see a * symbol on the sign. Don't buy the product it sucks and is not selling well. I guarantee you see the * sign on the sign, that product will be discontinued very soon. Stay with wines with no asterisks and they should be decent choices.

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I buy wine at Costco. My favorites are the Rioja's. My favorite of these is the pic below.

Mark, I signed up for a wine club, check out Casemates.com. We've gotten a couple really nice wines so far.

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Here is the pic:

Attached Files:

David_S, NbyNW and NeuroBeaker like this.
  6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    For some reason, Costco near you doesn't seem to list any alcoholic beverages on their website so I can't check what they've got.

However, I buy this Chianti Classico from Publix (supermarket in the southeast), but it looks like it's available from this supplier near you:

Not sure where you are in relation to them, but there's another store in Vegas if you're not close and you want to change the store locator.

In other news, I found this website when searching for "Costco wines", and they might give you a head-start on this thread:

Haven't really perused their blog much, but it seems like they've done a few reviews of Malbecs you might find helpful.

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The Louis Jadot Pouilly-Fuisse is a nice little selection. At least it was ten years ago. No recent experience, but no reason to think it's gone downhill. There are several Louis Jadot wines that are nice, and the Chateau Ste. Michelle wines are favorites of my wife. It's the house Cab at a some of Disney World's restaurants.

D

9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#9 NbyNW, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    The LJ Beaujolais is nice too. Another of our favorites. I did recognize the names from past purchases so picked up those whites.

dm_n_stuff and tomc like this.
  10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The Costco we visit in DC doesn’t list any alcohol online that I can find. Where do they list it?

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We get about 3/4-ths of our wine from Costco. Wife generally refuses to spend more than $25 or so on a bottle, and still, we've not been disappointed very often from our Costco wines. The Kirkland branded ones have been uniformly good. Admittedly, we do not have the most sophisticated palates. We stick mainly to French (we've bought several bottles of the Kirland-branded Gigondas & they have yet to disappoint), Italian (had an excellent Luca Bosio barolo last week; above the wife's cheapskate limit, but so worth it! :)) and Portuguese (2011 Vale de Cavalos is good & seems to be in near constant supply @ our Costco) reds during the cooler months. When it heats up, Italian pinot grigios are high on our list @ Costco. Plus, she loves the $7 prosecco in the purple bottles. We go through the bubbly like Frenchmen! :)

Another good wine has been this
    https://www.vivino.com/wineries/albert-bichot/wines/bourgogne-pinot-noir-reserve-de-l-orangerie-2013
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Jadot Beaujolais, as mentioned earlier, has been good from Costco.

I have the Vivino app on my iPhone, and recommend it for Costco wine buying. You can use Vivino & the iPhone's camera to snap pics of the label, and it'll search the wine, show you average prices (Costco is usually less than the average quotes), and give a rating. It'll also maintain a database of wines you've searched, and if you buy one and like it, you can rate it. We have found that anything rating > 3.5 stars (out of 5 total) on Vivino - and many of the wines sold by Costco have a goodly # of reviews - within our pricing parameters, is usually a good buy for us.

Enjoying a 2010 Haute Medoc (Chateau Fontesteau) the wife picked up @ Costco tonight...T

NbyNW likes this.
  12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I use the Vivino app too. Good resource. I buy some nice ones, but mainly a cheapskate here too.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We bought Dom Perignon @ Costco when the Mets were last in the World Series. Great price! There's a very good local wine & spirits chain - Goody Goody - which is our "go to" for the occasions we dabble in the more expensive bottles of wine...T

14. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    +1 on using the Vivino app at Costco. You can find some fantastic deals on good wine. I am looking for something that is cheaper than the average price and >3.9 stars.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Our taste buds are more adventurous (or, we're cheaper! ), > 3.5 Vivino & it's go time for us @ Costco.

T

16. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Oh I go cheap!! Try to stay in the $15-$20 range. We go through too much wine to spend much more than that.

TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  18. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I am going to download Vivino. Thanks for those who recommended it.

19. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Tom...that must have been a great vintage....last time Mets won WS? What was that, 1969?

20. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Joker. This is a good thread. Can you give us a little more idea of price points? I will post more later, but 3 everyday (esp. with warmer weather coming) whites are Kim Crawford NZ SB ($11). And the A to Z and King Estates (both NW U.S.) Pinot Gris are great values at around $ 13. A cheap pizza wine is Monte Antico, a Super Tuscan for about $ 10 (any year but 2014). If you buy beaujolais, stick with the 2015 vintage, the best in ten years.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No, 1986! :( The vintage on the Dom was, however, much more recent than that! I want to say 2011, but that'd be a rough guess...T

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We opened this last night to go with our bistecca alla fiorentina.
    I'd say the 3.5 stars suggested by Vivino was fair. Good, not great.
    Don't recall the price, alas.
    T

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1 We've been enjoying a couple of 2015 French reds the past several months.

Keith - do you recommend drinking now, holding for a few years, something else?

T

24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have no idea... but say drink it now.

tomc likes this.
  25. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I generally stay under $60 (except at restaurants), but usually look more in the $35 and under range. I really don't drink much wine. I usually have to just have a wish for it, and that only comes when I making the right food. I don't drink whites; I've never had one I liked. The wife does, though. She likes pinot gris, proseco, and champagne.

As an aside, I didn't want this thread to be about me. I was hoping for more of a place for everyone to share experiences, good or bad buys, etc. I do a fair amount of work for Costco and know they put a lot of effort into their wine selections, so thought it would be a good topic of discussion.