Wings & Whitewalls car show in GA: | FerrariChat

Wings & Whitewalls car show in GA:

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Aug 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you like airplanes and cars, here's a show for you. The Aviation Wing of the Marietta Museum of History is holding a car show this Saturday (8/25) called Wings & Whitewalls starting at 10 AM. The museum is on Atlanta Road, just south of South Cobb Drive (GA-280) which is I-75 exit 261.

More info at https://www.facebook.com/events/436243313496820/

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This was a nice show. The museum's aircraft are located around the parking lot, either on the ground or up on plinths; the only one open to the public was the Lockheed JetStar, which looked quite comfortable but was understandably warm inside. I kept looking at the window where Goldfinger gets sucked out of his JetStar at the end of the James Bond movie!

Next came the vendors, a varied lot, including a few interesting ones which I'll talk about later. There were two food vendors, one selling BBQ and hot dogs, the other Cajun cuisine, and even an on-site mobile barber shop!

In the lot itself were the show cars, a nicely diverse group. I was pleasantly surprised to see a few exotics: two Lambo Huracans in different shades of blue (one was a Performante), a McLaren 720S, two Vipers (which I assume were being judged as Exotics), and our now-familiar Citroen 2CV wagon, which was also being judged as an "Exotic" (which, in its own way, it is!).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I have an affection for '50s American cars, perhaps because it's the decade I was born in. But they need to be stock, or nearly so; tragically too many of these have been lost to customization. (I have seen one '50-'51 Mercury that had not been converted to a "lead sled"). The owner of the '50 Buick said he's entering it in the Atlanta Concours next month. And the show even had an Edsel!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308 likes this.
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #5 Gatorrari, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There were a few more European cars around, including a fairly rare Merkur. There were also some nice examples of a couple of marques from the past, Studebaker and American Motors. (Looking at the Matador reminded me of the one that improbably flew in another James Bond flick.) And a very nice "T-bucket" which reminded me of an old Monogram model kit called "The Big T".

(BTW, if you look in the background of the E-Type photo, you will note that the Amphicar's license plate reads "TITAN1C"!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll post some more photos tomorrow.

8. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    Jim, one guess as to which car won in the 'Exotic' class? I'd bet that the owners of the Lambos weren't any too pleased as it was my Citroen! C'est la vie.

4re308 likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Screw the bulls! Your Citroen is more Exotic than their cars. I would have voted for your "escargot" myself.:D

4re308 likes this.
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The trophies were homemade and very interesting; some of the ones with gears actually had moving parts. As I said, they had a barber on-site inside a trailer, and for liquid refreshment, a bar built into a VW Transporter. The most interesting vendor was called TK Drift Motorsports, out of LaGrange, and they were selling what they called Drift Trikes, which are really Big Wheels for grown-ups!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia