Winter Storm | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Winter Storm

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by JohnnyS, Feb 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #26 badges2, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is what I saw when I opened the garage this morning to go to work. I quickly shut the door and took the day off without pay!!!!! It took me 3 hours to clear the driveway and a little more to help my buddy next door who is out of town (and his wife is due in May). The good news is, I got to level 15 on GT5!

Love the pic of your little one above! Why is it that when we were kids, we could stay out in this stuff all day and want more? As an adult, I just want to sit next to the fire with a beer and read.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    neighbors and I(my family) dug out, while doing so we had the idea to have a BBQ.

It's classic loaves and fishes, one had meats, we had chips, charcoal, beer & vodka, others had rolls & bread, more beer, etc., etc., spent the afternoon with the kids playing in the snow and us BBQ'ing and drinking on the sidewalk.

Had a suntimes photog walk by and take pictures and names so we maybe even made the paper tomorrow or the website at the very least.

Best snow day EVER....

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Today I was a receptionist,3 secretaries, a manager,IP guy and a bookkeeper.
    I was the only one who made it to the office.....

4. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    Tow truck companies must be raking the cash in.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup. Over 300 stranded vehicles on LSD.

6. farrbar

farrbar Karting

Sep 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    #32 farrbar, Feb 2, 2011
    Woke up to a 4 foot drift up against the side of my truck (parked in driveway), after several hours with my snowblower (and a shovel) my driveway was totally cleared. Only problem was the street had not been plowed, and other than a H1 Hummer and a lifted Wrangler (towing kids on a sled) no cars had driven my street. Around 3 the Village plow showed up. In great shape now.

Was thinking about testing my new snow tires on the P-Car, but that can wait until the weekend.

7. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If they're Blizzaks, you'll love them! I drive past trucks in my 911 with those tires on!

8. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    #34 Daryl, Feb 2, 2011
    The entire drive area between my garage and the car barn had drifted to 38" deep. I had to put the loader on my John Deere tractor to get it out. The rest of the drive was "only" 22" deep, so the blower could handle it. It still took me all day, and there is still some left to clear. Tonight I'm sitting on the toasty floor of the car barn with some tunes playing while I work on the cars. I kinda like our Chicago snow events. They make me appreciate Spring!

9. farrbar

farrbar Karting

Sep 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Yep.... LM-60s, I have had them on past cars and loved them. Decided to go with 17 Inch, so I had to byuy another set of rims, but this way I don't have to mount/balance twice a year. I did skip the extra set of TPMS (think that would have been an extra $400). I figure I drove for 20 years without TPMS, I can make it through the winter.

10. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    So I hear you guys got a little snow in Chi-town yesterday...

I was there for the '99 storm and had quite the time in an LS400 on empty roads in the north burbs.

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Bet you had a busy day. ;)

12. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    When we were kids we we didn't have to go to school, and Dad did all of the shoveling. I'm talking about before anyone had snow throwers!

As a kid living in Canada I can't remember ever having to shovel snow, and we had some big ones! Dad did the work while we played.......though I can't remember schools closing because of snow. Maybe that's just a USA thing?

13. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    My kid's school is closed again today for............cold snow??? At this rate, they'll be doing makeup days until July!

14. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Cold and the roads are still not great. Some main ones are short a lane or two due to the high amount of snow built up along the sides. My suburban's traction control kicked in 4 times in the 11 miles I drove to work today. So, things are still slippery and if the school bus can't get around well, the kids will be out in -4F weather with wind chills in the -20F. Not a good situation IMO.

Now, as for what Darolls says, I can remember working all day to shovel snow out of a small drive way and walking bare foot in the snow to school, up hill, both ways.....;):D:D

My snow thrower did 5 drive ways yesterday in about 4 hrs. Did 4 by my house and then drove the thing up into the back of my Suburban and headed off to do another one and only used about 1/2 gal of gas. These things are great!

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Question : Who pays for the tow trucks if your car is stuck on LSD? You or the city?

16. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Most likely the city (tax payers) will pay. After all, it was the failure of the city to close LSD. None of those drivers should have to take responsibility for their actions....:(

17. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #43 TwinOne, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    Wheaton didn't get to my street until ~12:30 and only plowed one lane. I had to shovel ~20 feet x ~36-48" to get out of my driveway! I finished ~3:00 and had to drive down to dad's (93) and dig him out in Downers Grove. I stayed on major roads but 53 was horrible! In some places it was only a single lane and that was drifted over. If Wheaton decides to finish my street this AM, I'll be shoveling another ~3 hours to get in! Oh well, I've now seen the 4 top snowstorms in Chicago! John, I heard rumblings already about lawsuits for not closing LSD earlier.

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #44 4re Nut, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    Hope all is well and safe up north; I have a colleague in Chicago and he mentioned 21" of snow.

I'm in the New Orleans area and many schools and government offices in southeast LA are closed today due to icy roads. We can handle Mardi Gras and hurricanes but not ice (unless it's in a drink)!

19. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    I assume there will be one or two or....

I hope the judge(s) throw them out on the basis that every driver takes responsibility for their actions. This was an "act of God" and they made the decision to drive on LSD knowing full well that days in advance the reports were for severe weather. Anyone living in or around Chicago for more than 1 month knows how LSD can get tangled up with just one accident on a good day.

20. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Don't no why the city didn't close down all offices on Tues. at 12 pm. The city should have just declared a curfew and sent people packing. Giving everyone a chance to get out of the city on time. Explain to me why anybody is out driving their car at 7pm on the LSD. This blizzard was very well publicized days in advance. If you made the decision to be out there than maybe you need to take the responsibility for your actions. I think the city did an amazing job keeping deaths to an absolute minimum given the magnitude of this people killer and the mentality of some of our citizens.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Exactly. This storm was announced well before it happened. I remember reading about in last week. People who want to try their luck are free to do so with their own money.

22. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Damn City of Wheaton employees! ;)

23. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Yea I gotta say whoever was on LSD was doing so at their own risk. When you hear 25' foot waves, blizzard, and lightning, driving ALONG the lake is not my first choice...

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I hear ya. I feel they are all paid a ton of money and just drive around in their fancy Porsches :p