Wiper Drama | FerrariChat

Wiper Drama

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by remi, Jun 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi,

I have encountered a new drama which has me scratching my head. Not long ago, my wiper motor burnt out- and I sourced a replacement new motor from Hein.

This has now arrived and been installed, with both speeds and the auto-park working well. The issue is, the wipers now park on the opposite side to what they used to, such that they are not sitting correctly on the screen.

A reminder- mine is a converted car (LHD->RHD). In the previous configuration, the wipers were sitting parked on the drivers side, with a nice low profile on the screen. Now, they park on the other side, which of course means they don't sit correctly.

The two photos I've attached below show the first configuration, and then what I am now faced with.

Now- clearly, in original LHD cars, the wipers park on the passenger side (right hand side)- like mine used to. Interestingly, I have found two supposedly original RHD Mexico pictures, which show different parking positions for the wipers (see pictures 3 and 4 below).

So- what is the problem I now have?
    1. Did I inadvertently source the incorrect wiper motor?
    2. Has a connection been somehow reversed during the motor installation?
    3. If the motor is incorrect- would sourcing different wiper arms solve my issue?
    4. Given that the bonnet insertion hole is not symmetrical, I am assuming that changing arms won't actually help

My brain is twisting itself inside out trying to figure it out!

Image 1: wipers are they used to park (drivers side, nice and low)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image 2: my current problem, wipers park to passenger side, but obviously this is wrong for the arm shape
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image 3 (above): 'original' RHD wipers to passenger side, Image 4 (below) 'original' RHD to drivers side

Thanks for the advice!

Remi

2. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ok- I see this has everyone else stumped as well... I've thought some more about this. Given my bonnet wiper arm openings are set-up for a LHD car, my wiper arms are going to have to rest to the right (if I changed to the other arm end angle to have them sit to the left, they would overhang the left side of the windscreen).

So- there seem to be three possible options. And bear in mind I don't have a very good idea of how this Lucas wiper motor is meant to work (even after looking at the parts diagram).

1. I have the wrong (RHD) wiper motor (this assumes that the motor used is different in a LHD car vs a RHD car- does anyone know). I will try and clarify this with Hein.

2. The motor is correct, but has been installed incorrectly; although my Mechanic is adamant that is not possible as the motor only fits one way

3. The park switch function has been somehow put together incorrectly, such that it is parking in the open position rather than the closed position

Clearly, with the bonnet openings I have, I need these wipers to park to the right (drivers side in my case), like they used to.

So- if any of you wiser heads could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Parts manual of Mexico wipers attached below, as well as Ivan's previous post picture of the self park mechanism.

Thanks!

Remi

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Raemin. The pictures below are of a very rusty drive disk from a Ghibli, so Lucas equipment.
    My thought is that you need to change the position of the parking switch contact by 180 degrees with respect to the drive peg. The peg is welded to the disc, so has to be fixed, but I guess the 2 notches on opposite sides of the wheel must be there to allow you to swap direction by moving the trigger for the switch. So from the first picture to as in the second, or vice versa Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The wipers would then be on the opposite stroke when they park. ie on the other side of the screen.

hope that helps.
    Cheers.
    Mark

4. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Mark- that is very helpful. The question being how did this situation arise when all that was replaced was the motor? Unless the new motor is a RHD one; in which case either changing the parking switch contact, or changing the motor again? Are the motors different for LHD and RHD cars, or just the drive discs and wiper arms?

5. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Remi. I’ve just got my wiper motor out of the loft - it’s not original to my car, which is LHD, but much against my expectation, it is handed.
    The casing is clearly stamped with an arrow to the left next to ‘PARK’ so I assume there will be another version with parking the opposite way. Image Unavailable, Please Login

There is an ebay seller called Steve Hunt who lists as Tankard03. He is very knowledgeable about Lucas wiper motors and could probably help you get the correct one.
    Cheers.
    Mark

71Satisfaction likes this.
  6. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Mark. Will see how I go with Hein first, as it seems they may have sent the wrong motor!

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not trying to add additional confusion to the mystery, but might the direction (CW or CCW) of motor rotation be a factor since you are 180 degrees off after the motor is turned off?

Motors of most types can be made to spin in either direction. Here is a generic video explaining what I am talking about.

Beginning to sound like you got the wrong spec motor since everything else appears to have been held constant until the trouble arose.

Hope this helps.

8. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks- this is exactly the confusion I am trying to sort out. Is a RHD vs LHD motor defined by which way it spins? Or is it defined by the configuration of the drive disk/ parking switch contact orientation?

9. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thought I should close the loop on this- and the solution was much as suggested. The Lucas 6wa wiper motor is not 'handed' as such, but the gearbox cover gets rotated 180 degrees depending on whether you want the motor to park left or right. Literally a matter of loosening one screw, and rotating the cover (although you have to get to the motor first: which is when I'm thankful I have an understanding and very local mechanic)!

Photo below in case it is of use to anyone in the future: round cover gets rotated 180 degrees to change the parking side.

lbird, boralogist and JL350 like this.