Wiring harness tape | FerrariChat

Wiring harness tape

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JIMBO, Sep 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #1 JIMBO, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone know where I can obtain the kinda-sticky cloth tape used by the factory on the wiring harnesses (specifically a 512TR)?
    I have the dash completely apart and want to make it all look nice. I would also like to label the aftermarket wires (alarm, stereo) for future endeavors. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #2 brian.s, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
    It's called 'friction tape' and is available from McMaster Carr, I am sure other like Grainger would carry it. HTH

For add on items, a small diagram in a plstic baggie taped to the radio for example, you could do it Milspec and use all white with number tags on each wire, that would seperate any confusing colour clashes with stock harness like the SRS harness is.

3. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Even easier, I bought some from Home Depot.

4. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #4 DKHudson, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What about one of those little labelling machines? Produces a neat self adhesive labels. I used one of these to re-label my fuse board covers. Then I found I got two lines of small font text on the label and could wrap these around the end of a spade connector cover... If you need a slight longer message fold it to itself like a flag. Not perfect, but neat enough for the inside of a dashboard?

Cost from £20 in the UK, whats that... about $35?

5. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I have found that using those labels folded over a wire and stuck to itself flag-style doesn't stay stuck for very long. They start to separate after a few months and fall off after a year. YMMV.

6. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

Wurth make the sticky cloth tape, which is Sh** to work with. Your local Mercedes dealer can provide you with a cloth tape that is adheasive on one side and dry on the other, only one like this I have found. Works great, and looks fantastic. PM me and I will try to dig up the part number and a picture if your interested. Cost is about $15 a roll.

7. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    I've had very good luck with the professional type made for marking wires. Mine are made by WireMold. I've had them on my 330 for 15+ years with none coming off.

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I've never really liked the gooey residue the sticky tape leaves on the wires. I prefer zip ties in assorted sizes.

The trick to zip ties is to practice how to cut the excess flush with the block, so you don't have the sharp end sticking out.
    The other trick is to have a large supply on hand, so you use enough to prevent strain points at too-widely spaced zip ties.

9. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Electronics supply shops also sell the "shrink tubing" which can be used to insert the wires through, then heat up with a heat gun, and shrink to a nice package. Your photo shows some shrink tubing.

Dave Helms (Scuderia Rampante) provided that on my wiring harness fix for the Mondial t fusebox.

10. V8coupe

V8coupe Rookie

Apr 9, 2017
    London
    The cloth tape is available from a firm called “Tesa”. It’s called cloth wire loom tape. It is also heat resistant which makes it ideal for engine compartments too.

Qavion likes this.