With Ferrari has the coolest sound???? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

With Ferrari has the coolest sound????

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrariFlip, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #26 speedemon, Jan 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Here's a pic of one of them.....1959 250 Testa Rossa Fantuzzi Spyder. This is from Pebble. I'll do my best to get the others and post. Hopefully this will work.........?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Get the victory by design DVD - plug it into your home cinema system and crank up the volume. I defy anyone to not LOVE the sound of the 312PB being given a good seeing-to.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    The Victory by Design DVD is full of great sounding cars... but the one that surprised me the most was the Dino 246... I guess I was expecting a lighter-weight sound from the lighter-weight car... I was wowed!

The sounds were so much more distinct on the DVD than on SPEED that I was often surprised by the sound out of the cars. I need to watch it again (when I'm a little less surprised each time) to be able to judge which one I actually like the best.

Hmmm...

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Willis, I was there too for the 250LM and 250GTO "street race" demo in front of FoS. :) They sounded cool, but way too loud for me...

The Ferrari that makes music to my ears is the Daytona. Brian Lopriore drives his past my house at least once per week, and he purposely revs it up as he passes. It always puts a smile on my face.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The 365GTC/4 sounds the best with its side draft Webers along with the 400GT which also has the side draft Webers. I don't know why, but the side draft carbs sound better than the down draft ones for some resaon. Does anyone know why ? No fuel injection car is even in the ballpark !

6. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Without getting too exotic here the carbed boxers do sound great. However I have always liked the sound of a carbed 308 together with transfer gear whine when downshifting.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I dont know either...i have heard both from in/outside and the Daytona clearly sounds better IMO.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    While both the Daytona and the C4 sound absolutely terrific, the C4 has a more sonorous growl from the longer intake path.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While I'd much rather have a Daytona than a C4, the C4 does sound much better.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I do love the sound of my 355 Challenge. Mean to whine in less than a second. :)

Also, anyone know why a stock Testarossa sound is so mild? My experience is that stock 328's sound much better than stock Testarossas, although I love a TR with straight pipes and after market exhaust.

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I absolutely love the sound of a 355 with tubi

12. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    I like the 355 en F50 but especialy the 355 with a tubi in a tunnel!!!
    That sound is awsome, almost like a f1 car cool!!!
    My hart is going outof control again!

13. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Im scrolling through this to see if anyone mentioned it...and Dan360 is right on...the 312PB. WOW! I've also only heard it on Victory By Design, and can only imagine what it'd be like in real life. 312PB gets my vote.

As for road cars, there are many that sound great.

Eric

14. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    333SP......you just have to hear one of these in person, it's awesome, mean, and scary sounding. At Gingerman I video'd lots of Ferraris with stock and modified exhaust, and a 355 with tubi has a very mean sound. But it's the 333SP that just amazes me...it actually has some type of "mufflers" on it, but the growl combined with the whining sounds have to be experienced to be appreciated.

As for a TR with Tubi...not bad, but still to quiet for me. Soon I'll have my own exhaust on my TR....4 straight through bullet mufflers and then 4 indivual pipes out the back. All stainless of course. I can hardly wait to hear how it will sound.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    No 330GTO, but the sound is wonderful, nonetheless.
    That's 330GTC (4 litre '66-'68).
    Incidentally, 365GTC (4.4 litre '68-'70) upped the ante in '68. It looks like a 330GTC, but sans 275GTS-inspired side vents, as matte black scoops between hood and windshield are used.

16. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris

I'm almost certain...........it's a GTO. Only 4 exist. I've attached a link to verify. However, the article says only 3 exist. This information in the article is incorrect regarding the # existing.

http://www.web-cars.com/gto/ferrari.html

17. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Serial numbers for 330 GTOs (Source: Bluemel/Pourret - Ferrari 250 GTO)

After that, there were 4 cars designated 330 LMB, but similar lines to GTO

18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Yeah, me too, love to see one in person. The best I've heard in real life was a BB512LM @ Lime Rock last summer. After that the GTOs sound positively *polite*.

19. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    F50GT
    333SP
    '95 F355 (open or Challenge/tubi)
    Testarosa with as little muffling as possible

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Call 'em what you like but, in my humble opinion, these cars are 400 Superamericas, NOT GTOs. The fact that they were given 250 GTO-style bodywork, does not make them "330 GTOs." They are NOT GTO's with larger engines installed. They are 400 Superamericas with GTO-style bodies. Likewise, there are 250 GTs that were given 400 SA bodywork, but they are 250 GTs, nonetheless, and NOT "250 Superamericas."

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Since the TR59/60 in your pic is 0770TR, can we assume that you are business partners with John Mozart?

22. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Frank says the carb cars sound best, may be true, but I love the sound of my 512 BBi with full Tubi. It sounds like an orchestra of different sounds.

23. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes. I worked for/with John for approx. 8 years and am now have my own company. However, in partnership, own real estate together. We remain v/good friends as well. Are you familiar with him via autos, personally? Just curious.

24. speedemon

speedemon Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My mistake. It was my understanding two were in the seattle/oregon area. One in california; one in Europe. I must be wrong. Thanks for the info.