Woman buried in Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Woman buried in Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jsa330, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    330 GT Registry:

S/N Description Body No Eng No Int Eng No RHD Euro A/C P/S B/S Option
    Transmission Type Original Exterior Color
    Original Interior Color
    Comment
    5055 330 America 5055 Yes
    4 Speed w/Overdrive
    Detail Type
    Date Price
    Mileage
    Exterior Color Interior Color Wheels
    Comment
    Name Owner Number Phone Fax Email URL
    Address Address (Cont.) City State/Prov Post Code Country Plate Number
    Import
    Luigi Chinetti Motors, Inc. 203-869-2911
    600 West Putnam Ave Greenwich CT 06830 USA
    Purchase
    Sandra West 1
    San Antonio TX USA
    Other 1977 Buried in car in San Antonio, TX. Car was damaged/not driveable
    Sandra West
    San Antonio TX USA

Ciao likes this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ...and the best part is:

In heaven you don't have to stop for a 15K service!

Good work guys!

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    CLK GTR or just CLK ($945,000 price difference)?

I've already shared my ideas on my line of car-caskets: Aluminum and/or carbon fiber casket, leather seat backing, alcantara trim. Exterior can be done in a 'MB-inspired' or a "BMW-inspired" exterior; others available upon request.

I was thinking about having a Chevy and Ford Truck versions, end of the coffin looks like truck nose, diamond plate or rhino lining on the end, towing hitch on the side of the coffin.

The Hummer version can be completely submerged in water; Land Rover one can be buried on a steep incline, up to 35 degrees.

:)

4. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    now strech your memory of Chicagoan Willie Stokes who was buried in a coffin make to look like a cadillac with $100 bills between his fingers, and it was inspiration for a song by SRV..... i just cant find a foto on the net yet but saw some in a newspaper in Chicago many years ago.
    here the song.....

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Willie the Wimp (And His Cadillac Coffin)

Willie the Wimp was buried today,
    They laid him to rest in a special way.
    Sent him off in the finest style
    That casket-mobile really drove 'em wild
    Southside Chicago will think of him often
    Talkin' 'bout Willie the Wimp and his Cadillac coffin,
    Willie the Wimp and his Cadillac coffin

That casket, it looked like a fine Seville
    He had a vanity license and a Cadillac grille
    Willie was propped up in the driver's seat
    He had diamonds on his fingers and a smile sweet
    Fine red suit had the whole town talkin'
    Talkin' 'bout Willie the Wimp and his Cadillac coffin
    Willie the Wimp and his Cadillac coffin

Oh, Cadillac to Heaven he was wavin' the banner
    He left like he lived, in a lively manner
    With a-hundred dollar bills in his fingers tight
    He had flowers for wheels and a-flashin' headlights
    He been wishin' for wings, no way he was walkin'
    Talkin' 'bout Willie the Wimp and his Cadillac coffin
    Yeah, Willie the Wimp and his Cadillac coffin

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, I thought of that song as we were talking today!

Stevie had a plain coffin. I was there.

6. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains

Yes... but in Hell the timing belts are made of paper, only diesel is sold, and there are only Edsel parts available.

7. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    who said you can't take it with you?!!

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    wow... amazing. someone actually did that?

okay, in light of the news, I just got off the phone with John Edward, he says, she is pointing towards me with a knife, and sliding it across my throat. I wonder what that means. Does this mean I need to go to San Antone with some shovels?

9. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    There's a very short clip of the burial at the start of the video 'F For Ferrari'. I saw this story years ago on the news and found it hard to believe at the time.

JMJ

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Matsuda-san has had a 250 GTO headstone created for use when his time is up. I'll scan the picture when I'm back in the states.

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

SRV will be missed very much. i saw him play only once. i have been playing guitar for 17 years. he is still a major influence. sorry for going off topic gentlemen, SPEEDY308 struck a nerve . ( in a good way SPEEDY)

12. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    By MELANIE McFARLAND
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER TELEVISION CRITIC

One of the most enduring images seared upon my brain is a brief scene of a funeral for Willie the Wimp, a notorious gangster from Chicago's South Side, in 1984. The event was flamboyant enough to make the 10 p.m. news.

At the urging of his father, Flukey Stokes, Willie was buried in a coffin replica of a Cadillac, propped up into a sitting position with his hands crossed over the wheel. Rings glinted on every finger, and $100 bills were shoved into the spaces between.

GOSH if i can only find a foto it is truly amazing,..uuggghhh

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Not quite as long ago,(10-15 years?) someone was buried in an,I believe,'84 Corvette. I think that the car was White. I don't know if it was a man or woman. But,it had to have happened after 1984. Damn copycats! Lets hope that this doesn't become a trend with old people. But,then again,maybe drive up the prices of the ones that don't get buried.

14. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Brocket first hot rodded a few cars, among them 0138A (how ugly can you go?) and 0239EU/0292M (tried to convert it into a 250MM prototype mostly by cutting and drilling all kinds of holes into it...). It seems that he was drawn to Ferrari conversions and hotrods, as he also owned 250GT S.2 Cabrio with closed headlights (1761GT), 375MM Scaglietti Spyder conversion (0366AM) and 0097S (Vignale body from 0024M on a shortened 195 chassis). He also had two 250GT Swb replicas built and tried to pass them on as real competition cars. In the end he destroyed bodyworks of a 340 America (0138A), 195 Inter Berlinetta Touring (0123S) and 250GT Europa PF Coupe (0421GT). Many irreplaceable parts of all cars were saved. It was the discovery of rear end of 0138A put an end to this story.

0138AM and 0421GT have been resurrected. I have no idea what remains of 0123S. I'm especially sad for the loss of this car; it had a very special UK history having been leased by Franco Cornacchia to Roy Clarkson, who raced it in 1951.

Sandra West Ferrari car was 330 America 5055; sold as a new to her.

Best wishes, Kare

15. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    My Mondial came from San Antonio. Sometimes, when driving at midnight, i feel a ,,,,,presence. :)

Tom

16. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Curious...it says the car was damaged and not driveable...did she wreck it and die from that?

Sorry, but I think what she did is stupid...if you love the car that much, would you really want to kill it like that and rob others from enjoying it? She sure did die young though. Sad. Surprised nobody has tried to dig up the car. Is it encapsuled in cement?

17. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I would like to see this...where can I find that video?

18. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I just watched something about this on the History International channel. Anyone gather any more information since this thread - ahem - died?

What would this vehicle be worth now? The show said it was "powder blue" and encased in concrete. They showed photos of the burial. What would likely happen to this vehicle after all this time in a sealed concrete vault buried 6 feet under?

Here's Time Magazine's Obit:
    Posted Monday, May 30, 1977
    Like Egypt's King Tutankhamen, who had a couple of golden chariots buried near him when he died in 1352 B.C., Californian Sandra Ilene West is journeying to the hereafter in style. Oil Heiress West died two months ago (the cause has not been determined) at the age of 37. Last week Mrs. West was buried, as she requested, "in my lace nightgown ... in my Ferrari, with the seat slanted comfortably." At the San Antonio cemetery where her husband is also buried, several hundred awed spectators looked on as a gray-painted wooden crate, 6 ft. by 8 ft. by 17 ft., was lowered into the ground by a crane. To deter any grave robbers cum 1964 Ferrari buffs, the crate was covered with concrete. And so another gas guzzler bites the dust.
    From the May 30, 1977 issue of TIME magazine

Creepy.

RMX

19. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I remember this story. I think I also remember a picture of the car being lowered into the ground, but I have no idea where I saw it.

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There is more information on the forum on www.tomyang.net, including several pictures I had not seen before. You may have to scroll down a bit to find the thread.

21. I have the article somewhere , it was a white 1984 Vette, with custom rims, and very nice. It was a man, the license plate said "BYEPAL". All of the fluids were drained, he was cremated & put in the seat. Concrete was dumped on top of the car. I remember also seeing somewhere that a lady was buried in a MGB.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I never followed up with the flowers and the AGIP oil...want me to run by REMIX??

As far as I know it'd still be there, thanks for the info on her inspiration...

23. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

Wonder of any grave robber parts resellers have salvaged any parts
    off the car? Probably had a nice V12 in it. Shaunessy? j/k

A pick axe and a few shovels you could tunnel from underneath

24. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin