Wonder if anyone out there bought 1 Ferrari and own more than 10 years or more? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wonder if anyone out there bought 1 Ferrari and own more than 10 years or more?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SAU KWENG TAN, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Not sure what wraps and tints have to do with maintenance costs of any car, let alone a Ferrari?

As you don't have to worry for sometime, don't! Things will be very different in 83 months, we will all be in different places! As for service costs when she is out of a service plan, like others have said, do your home work compare prices / learn to do some work yourself. As and aside, my main dealer charges less per hour than the BMW main dealer! Go figure.

That said, they are not cheap cars to run and whilst there are things you can do to minimise the costs, at the end of the day, you are going to pay!

But above all, enjoy the car!

2. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I had a F355, but a deer ruined that for me. I now have a F430 and plan on keeping it for a long time. I love it.

3. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    turbo-joe, Makuono, mclaudio and 13 others like this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    LARRYH and kes7u like this.
  5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    It must suck to be only able to afford to buy 1 car in nearly 60 years.

Haha...just kidding!
    What a great story!

6. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
  7. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    That sounds very painful! Insurance took care of the F355?

8. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    You can see more at :

ross, LARRYH, Stentboy and 2 others like this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @Admiral Goodwrench that is really beautiful! Congratulations!

@SAU KWENG TAN my advice is along the lines of the others. The former chairman of Ferrari used to say something like your first Ferrari is a pre-owned one. I used to think- oh no, I want mine to be brand new! But, who knows more about this? Me, a car nut, or the guy who was hand picked by Enzo Ferrari to run the company? I have come to see he was exactly right- at least as a general rule. In your case, you are entering the market at a great time to buy a pre-owned Ferrari. They have never been better and I think as you do your research you will see the 458 represents a point of departure between what will be seen as modern Ferraris and things that came before. I think that's largely due to the DCT (dual clutch transmission) and also the near magical integration of the stability and traction control with the electronic differential. Although you probably want to make a good decision once and be done with it, my experience with Ferrari ownership is often many people end up wanting to try new things more often than 10 years.

So my advice- I'd look for a nice pre-owned 458. Give yourself 18-36 months with it, see what you think. You might say this car is perfection and you don't want to look at any other. Or you might say you would like more. All that time, 488 prices will be falling. Its true the 458 will still depreciate, but no where near the rate the 488 will over this time. Thus your investment into the car will be safer by trying the 458 first. Yes, the 488 is faster, but there will always be something faster. The Ferrari experience is about a lot more than just going fast.

Please note I am basing my advice on ignoring the whole 458 is more desirable because its got a natural aspirated engine thus will hold its value more/ 488 is better because its more powerful and thus going to do better financially. I think both will mostly follow the traditional depreciation curves for these cars. But my opinion is the 458 is a ground breaking Ferrari and the 488 is a nice evolution but, I find the 458 more desirable for all the usual reasons, and thus, I think the 458 is going to resist the traditional depreciation curve just a little bit better than normal (it wont be immune to it though!).

So it's almost welcome to the family. I think you will find driving and owning a Ferrari to be a very special experience!

SAU KWENG TAN likes this.
  10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I'm going on 17 yrs with my 1975 308 GT4

11. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Awesome. Original owner since new?

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    No but if that was true it would be 1992 now :D

mchas likes this.
  13. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    awesome. done all the maintenance yourself? wish i know how to do. I only know how to change oil, most of the fluid, simple brake pad on honda though....

14. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
  15. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I am the second owner of my 2003 360 spider. Have been enjoying it since 2007.

16. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Sir, you are definitely the master of understatement! Wish we had a 'salute' emoji...

LARRYH, SAU KWENG TAN and absostone like this.
  17. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    308GTS since 2002; hope to manage a few more years with it, and it'll be me that breaks down before the car!

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    19 anni 328

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    bravo auguri

20. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I generally don't sell cars that I like and that I have bonded with and I've been fortunate to be able to keep most of them.
    I've owned my 308 GT4 since 1995 (23 years), 308 GTB Vetro since 1997 (21 years), 412 GT since 2004 (13 years) and 355 Challenge since 2007 (11 years). The plan is that the next Ferrari will be a 360 Modena and after that a 488 GTB, the first "modern" Ferrari that appeals to me. The 308 GTB Vetro is my favourite, will never sell it.
    Of my other cars the longest ownership is an Alfa that I have owned since 1982 -(36) years and there are other cars in the 20 - 25 year range.
    Generally do my own work on cars. Daily drivers are typically turned over every 3 to 5 years.

kerrari, paulchua and SAU KWENG TAN like this.
  21. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    paulchua and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  22. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I love stories of owners keeping their cars for decades and having "high" mileage cars (means they've actually enjoyed them).

So my friends, in my book, you're all an inspiration and I congratulate you. Hope I'll do the same. I have other Ferraris but my 458 is a keeper for life.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

SAU KWENG TAN and absostone like this.
  23. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well I regret to inform you that even though I’ve had the car a long time, it is not high mileage, in fact it only has 1954 miles on it. However, I am pleased to tell you that I have enjoyed my car.

SAU KWENG TAN and paulchua like this.
  24. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Just curious. How did you enjoy it by driving it approx 78 miles per year?

25. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Well it should probably go without saying, but people enjoy their property in different ways. Sometimes it’s just as simple as the pleasures of Ferrari ownership. And at this point it’s cool to have a 26-year-old one owner Ferrari with lesson 2000 miles on it.

BlueIn2Red, Makuono, Mmckee and 3 others like this.