Work out results dont last..what to do ? | FerrariChat

Work out results dont last..what to do ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by amenasce, Aug 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I am not a work out freak and i mostly go to the gym to sweat but i started lifting some free weights 3 months ago and i have the impression that after 2 days the volume i gained is gone if i dont go back.

What should i do to maintain a certain volume ?

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #2 DrStranglove, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
    If you mean the "pumped up" look you get from working out, that is from the blood rushing to the muscles bringing them needed energy. That pump will last an avg of a few hours and goes down over time in all of us. Depending on you personal body chemistry, you start loosing muscle mass about a week after the part quits getting stressed through working out.

So in other words, the only way to keep looking big is to do the things that make you look big. I.e., keep working out!

3. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Anything in life that is worth having is had by repetition, hard work, and dedication. You will not achieve lasting results without those things.

4. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Thanks. If i want to have this pumped up look i get from working out as my normal look, should i start lifting heavier stuff or just working out longer ?

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You have to continue going on a regular basis. Even if you go for 6 months and get to the point where you're happy with your physique, you'll lose it sooner or later.

To gain mass you'll need to do increase weight and do less repetitions. Say XXlbs, 5-7 reps, 3-4 sets.

What is your workout routine like currently? Also factor in your diet. If you're not eating properly, you won't see as good of gains, nor as quickly.

6. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    DrStrangelove is absolutely correct. The larger muscle appearance you see and the tightness you feel for a few hours post work out is increased blood flow to the musculature.

The body takes six weeks to respond to exercise. That is why most people quit going to the gym after 2 weeks and no noticeable results.

Body makeup genetics are different for everyone. I am a lean person. I exercise/workout and no matter what I do I am not going to obtain the look of Arnold S. When I do strength training my results are more cut with a mild gain in muscle size. I am happy with the look so I do not resort to over the counter products for a "perceived" advantage.

The one thing 99% of gym users do wrong is lift to heavy of weight with the incorrect form. They do not realize that you will gain strength/muscle size much quicker by using the maximum weight they can lift while maintaining perfect form. When you swing weights, lurch back when using a lat pull down unit you are cheating yourself by using momentum. Slow and deliberate motions while focusing on contracting the muscle in action will give you your maximum results.

To gain girth, as stated, try using the maximum amount of weight you can use while maintaining proper form.

I believe the best manner to gain strength, girth, tone is to complete 3 sets of each exercise. The difference is not stopping at 10 reps with each set. You should always perform the exercise to muscle failure. Count how many reps your are doing with each set but don't stop at a specific number. If on the 3rd set you are completing 10-23 reps increase the weight by one increment the next time you perform that specific exercise.

FYI, to engage more core musculature during your normal workout with free weights try using only one weight at a time. By using only one arm with weight you automatically engage core musculature to keep you balanced. If that becomes easy lift one leg ( opposite leg that the weight is in ) off the ground while performing the activity.

Off my educated soapbox now.

Dan

7. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I disagree with always doing maximum reps to failure. I've never read or been told to do so. I'm not saying don't do 'til failure', just not everytime you work out. You will see far greater gains in mass doing high weight, low reps. I noticed a huge difference in a very small period of time when I went down from 10 reps to 5-7.

Doing drop sets is also good too. And you are correct on form. Starting with a easy weight to perfect form is a good idea.

Diet is such a large part of the pie though. If diet's not there, gains are going to be minimal.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Gym, schmym!

Just get in a pushup [the "up" part, cheaters] position... and stay there [don't move or fidget] until you can't stay up anymore.
    Do the same with a leg raise. Don't wuss out.
    Then grab a chair and get into a dip position. No cheating!
    Then, get into a horse stance. Stay!

That'll cure what ails ya!

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Wax is correct... in a way.

I love the gym but in a pinch, you can do just about everything you do there at home with items laying around the house.

Pushups
    Stair inclines
    reverse pull ups
    situps / crunches

the list is endless and cost less than the gym.

*But I love the gym!*

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #10 Bullfighter, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
    I was actually told that if you're using weights that allow you to do 10 reps/3 sets that you need to go for a heavier weight.

Not sure whether than means "to failure" or not...

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I need the motivation. Leaving work and going to the gym is like a mental "wall" between working and working out.

12. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I tried this on friday, couldnt stay up more than 20 seconds ! I ll keep trying !

13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So i just tried now, with my legs on my bed and my hands on the floor, somehow, seems easier. I stayed like that for a good minute. Whole body was shaking lol.

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    MONTH ONE:
    There ya go! Get those fast-twitch fibers busy!

Whatever position you get in, you'll notice an improvement each time IF you just STAY PUT.

However, the moment you adjust even in the slightest, the effect on those fibers that are *celebrating* is lost.

Done right, no matter how much it seems to "hurt" - it actually doesn't, yet, you will gain.

Stay hydrated with water - no Gatorade or other crap, as High Fructose Corn Syrup does you no good.

Stick with it, hold on for dear life, collapse, half some protein 1/2 an hour later, and you'll be getting towards your goal.

Again, do this for a month - not every day - just twice a week, all the way through the End of Summer.

MONTH TWO
    Buy a quality jump rope. Seriously, coupled with letting your body weight BE the weight you're still "lifting" until failure - you will destroy.

MONTH THREE
    Pushups and other calesthenics - intertwined with the twice weekly regimen and jump rope, you'll see an improvement in all areas as a result of this humble form I'm advocating.

MONTH FOUR - just in time for THE HOLIDAZE...
    Go to the Gym, you studmuffin, you.

15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's sort of what I'm saying. It's not to say that you can't do 10 reps, but it's difficult. Arms should be wobbly and you should be "winded" by rep 7.

To failure basically means this. Say you do 2 sets x 7 reps. On the 3rd set you would do it until your arms/legs are about to give out. Which should probably be around 20ish. If you get past that it's definitely time to increase your weight.

16. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    True I avoid it for the most part.

When I am attending a Martial arts seminar and its 6 hours long, I easily drop 1lb sweating sodium and essential electrolytes then I feel down and the headach comes. Drinking Gatorade as awful as has some levels of electrolytes and lifts you up for short time.

17. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #17 modena1_2003, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
    There is no way in two days you will see any results. Your talking about a "pump." Arnold loved them.

Just keep a schedual to lift.

Over a month and a half you should see some REAL results!

Just keep it up!!!

AND USE RESISTANCE! Lift WEIGHT aside from your body. This will only tone you.

Wanna LOOK good? Go heavy!

Best of luck man,

_J

18. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If you want to look bigger go heavier

BUT your muscles can get used to a workout so I change my routine a little every day

1 day I do bench press w an Olympic bar, next day w dumbells

I found the BOSU ball which is 1/4 of a ball w a rubber disc on top, you stand on that and work out w dumbells and it burns calories like crazy and works your abs and the little balance muscles in your legs

19. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005

You work your chest out two days in a row or the next workout with dumbells? Back to back is overtraining for 99% and likely to pull connective tissue or tear a muscle.

As far as the "pump" bodybuilders-competitors will carb up few days prior to competition so it is possible to some extent but not one or two days I think 3-4 minimum.

20. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Andrew, what you are saying is normal. Working out is like eating. You just can't say you ate a lot last month so you don't need to eat this month. You have to keep eating so you don't wither away. Same with working out. Though, (I think this has been said) if you just do calisthenics like pushups, etc. you can maintain. In fact you can get quite a workout just using gravity.

Good Luck