Work so far on my 348 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Work so far on my 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by Paul V, Mar 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Ernie
    The problem is once you refinish 1 item the part or parts next to it old so it is very hard to know where to stop.

I know how i want it to look so have to be quite patient and not rush, just keep pushing forward with it and try not to compromise the end result.

2. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    To Pap and Phil, i will be using the car but have to admit when i 1st brought it i said i would use it in all weathers but i think i will keep it to sunny days only.

I have been looking at getting a 430 next spring but would never sell the 348 as i have put too much into it.

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Paul,

I don't understand why you had it painted twice... the first paint job, at least from the photos, looked great to me.

Mike

4. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul

Trust me mike it was far from great ! Cannot say too much on the subject as part of the settlement was to keep my mouth shut about it!!

Onwards and upwards

5. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Got it...

At least you got a settlement... good for you. Amazing work so far on the car.... Truly amazing... thanks for taking the time to document and post.

Mike

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool man! :)

A 430?? Very nice, you must have way too much money. ;);)

7. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Or work to hard :D

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Absolutely, that will do it also. :D:D

9. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hi Paul. Any more progress on your project. You seemed to be making great progress mechanically about a month ago. How's she coming on?

10. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry Pete not done any work!!

Took a road trip to Milan for a few weeks only just got back and got a backlog at work so i am working 12 hr days trying to catch up and keep the customers happy.

Hope to get into the workshop in the next few weeks

11. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hi mate. A road trip to Milan is a reasonable excuse I suppose! Was just curious about progress as you seemed to be making leaps and bounds a while back. Do you have a target completion date or just it'll be done when its done?

12. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    .....I had the skill to do such a job..........

Congratulations........amazing......

//B//

13. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No target Pete it’s done when it done i am not going to rush it i have waited too long.

I like to keep busy, i have 3 cars on the go, around 12 bikes to restore 1 house to renovate O and i started the build on my new 3 car garage 4 weeks ago.
    Will post some more photos in the next few weeks.

Yours looks like it is coming on though

14. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks, hope to post some more photos soon.

15. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Huh? Is there any other way?? My t has over 60K and is getting some snow tires as I type! After all, what's better than showing up at the ski hill with a Ferrari convertible. ;) :D

16. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I think Tubi is highly overrated. I got a http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/ for my t (had to adapt one of their 348 models). Better price and better sound IMO!

Listen: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q396xnN2tGU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

17. Stearman22

Stearman22 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey D. Campbell
    Have you ever tried WAX?
    Next time you have a bugger that won't budge, use a enough heat to get wax to melt and run inside the threaded area. Wax has a great way of running to the heat. That is why a candle will burn the wax and not the wick. The wax once inside the threads will act as a lube and your parts will magically come apart, I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. Also, start out by tightening the bolt (etc.) just a little first, then loosen. Sometimes this helps brake it loose as well and it won't mess up the bolt (etc.) head in the counter clockwise direction.
    Please pass this around, I learned it from a great old fart mechanist that works on 1920's on back motorcycles.
    Good Luck!

18. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice tip, thanks for sharing it.

19. MovieStarCars

MovieStarCars Rookie

Nov 30, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Great tip on using the wax to release threads.
    Love these esoteric tips passed down from old timers.

As long as we are sharing tips, I use a product called Sheila Shine for engine detailing. It degreases, cleans and gives a nice benign shine to engine parts. Also that paint touch up product made by Dr. Color Chip is pretty terrific.
    My black 91 348TS has needed chip touch ups and this color chip product is pretty awesome.

20. snowflake

snowflake Rookie

Apr 25, 2010
    What is vapour blasting.? Is this something like sand blasting? It looks like it works a treat, so any info as to WHAT is in the vapour would be greatly appreciated.!

21. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Just came across this thread and read it from 2006 to present.
    The attention to detail is fantastic.
    Looking forward to reading about the finale.

22. bazandmaz

bazandmaz Rookie

Dec 29, 2008
    Paul

Amazing thread and amazing attention to detail, your commitment is something else. In one of the very first pictures when you were vapour blasting the calipers you had two stroke motorcycle cylinders and a crank on show, are you involved in two stroke bikes as well?

23. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Baz, i hope to get on with it in the next few months just a bit busy working on my house.

Yes i do work with 2 stroke engines and have done for the past 23 years. I don’t really work on the bikes just the engines and parts.

I do have a collection of 2 stroke bikes which i am working my way though restoring.

24. bazandmaz

bazandmaz Rookie

Dec 29, 2008
    Thanks Paul, I'm heavily involved in the racing and road going 2 stroke scene, it would be interesting to get some details of your business and the services that you offer.

Thanks

25. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #225 Paul V, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017