Working the Metal | FerrariChat

Working the Metal

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Feb 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #1 Napolis, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Nice work with the recycling. Is the turbo an aftermarket addition? It ought to make that GTB pretty quick.

cheers

Ken

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    There is something about old world craftsmanship that is so appealling. It is such an art and thing of beauty, so alive and why Ferraris look terrific the more one looks inside ( e.g. 0846).
    How wonderful to have the shields, and to put them on in just this time honored way.

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #4 Napolis, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No this is an original model sold in Europe. (208 GTB Turbo) It's a great light tossable sports car and the Turbo really makes it fun in the mountains. We keep the car in Europe and use it there. Jesse will be driving it again this June in the Historic Targa Florio and I will be driving P 4/5 there as well.

(Nino and I in bg. of second pix.)

Best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    i almost bought one of these in italy before buying a 328GTS. they were sold mostly in Italy[never in the USA]. cars there were taxed on the basis of their engine size. to keep the taxes down on the 308 Ferrari modified the engine to a two litre engine and put it into a car very similar to the 308. later to bring the power up a turbo was added. the details of this car can be found in Keith Blumeal{?sp} book "Ferrari, the Original V8s". tongascrew george

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Is Nice!

Dale

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks!

8. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Do all 208's have a 328 look with the front louvers, or is that just with the turbo cars? Thanks for the pics Jim!

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hi

This one is a 88 so it looks more like a 328. I think the earlier ones looked more like 308's.

Best

10. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    The cars were mentioned 208 from the beginning to the end of the production because of the 2000cc V8 engine which merely stayed the same.

Those cars evaluated with the standard V8 series of that time as far as bodywork is concerned. The two litres turbo engined cars were developed to suit the cars in a lower tax class in Italy. Read the book on V8 Ferraris by Geoff Willoughby, Osprey car books.

Jim, nice to see how close the work comes to the 1:18 work I'm used to do! My only advantage: I've enough space to work on a lot of cars at the same time!

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)