Workout Advice? | FerrariChat

Workout Advice?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Seth, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    Ok so my current daily workout, 6 days a week with 1 day off is...

15 Min on Rowing Machine, usually 4000-5000 Meters on level 8 (Concept II Machine), currently my 500M average is 1:55 at 30 Strokes a min
    6 Min on Step Machine at level 6 of 12 on the machine
    24 Min on Stationary Bike, random levels try to keep above 80 RPM

Sometimes I'll switch the rowing and biking (time wise)

I started to do some weight machines but could never get into it. I currently with this workout schedule always tend to hit a single weight and stay there. I cant lose anymore unless I starve myself, but am pretty happy at the weight but wouldn't mind losing some more. I've read about different workout strategies and what not but just cant stand the weight machines, they do nothing for me mentally. I feel like I've done nothing and I used to rotate 1 day cardio and 1 day weights and would not lose any weight at all. Im very happy with my current workout but want to break past my current weight. I also am fairly limited to an hour a day in the gym and "feel" better after a long cardio workout and cannot really increase my gym time at the moment. Any tips?

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What's your diet like?

It sounds as though you've plateaued. I think your body is in need of a week off.

Quit doing the weight machines. Go to the free weights. Much more free range and options of excercises. Not to mention it will help to work your 'stabalizer' muscles. Try starting by devoting 2 days to using weights for an hour. One day of chest/legs/abs, another day of bi's/tri's/back.

It's sound more like a lack of motivation to use weights as opposed to being bored.

3. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    My diet is decent, I eat 2 meals a day at the school cafeteria, stay away from all the bad things, and get plenty of fruit and vegetables.

I don't know if I have plateaued as I just started this workout back up again after being away for the past month, over the month I would still do rowing and bike riding on a daily basis.

I can do the weights for an hour just fine, its just that after that Im still full of energy. Im physically tired but mentally pumped and full of energy, that I can normally get rid of after a cardio workout

4. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I used to only do cardio myself, and hardcore cardio. I would run for an hour or more at 6mph and an incline between 1.5-6.5. I very soon plateaued and kept pushing with the cardio with no further success. It wasn't until I started some simple strength training that I noticed REAL results.

If you have some extra pounds you want to lose, cardio mixed with strength training during a workout are your best options, with of course lots of good food throughout the day. Eat often but eat well. You should never feel hungry throughout the day.

I myself just recently started the P90x program and am already noticing great results. It might be something you want to look at doing as the strength training is simple but seems to be very effective.

5. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ah, didn't know you just started up so you're fine then.

I think the fact you "feel" like you have to be exhausted after a workout may be part of you're problem. Don't let that feeling or lack thereof make it seem as though you haven't gotten a thorough workout.

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    There's a couple of issue here; first you're bored and just not excited about your workout. Secondly, you've fallen into habits.

I can solve your problem, today, and right now. Here's what you need to do:

1. Change it up. The body is a fantastic tool and adapts quickly to routine, and the muscles remember-believe it or not they have memory. Changing it creates stress on different muscles and creates results. Change the settings on the machines from Hills to Heart Rate to Random. Make it different.

2. Quick going crazy with your diet. Just eat less of what you are eating, but eat more times throughout the day. Eat a snack at 10am and another at 3pm. If you want to start out with something sweet and fattening fine. But move it on over by week two to something healthier like grapes, an apple and some tea. Don't drink any of the diet soda, it's nothing but sht, and don't let anyone tell you any differently.

3. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're getting older and deserve some margin, but it's obvious that you are determined by your schedule so give it time and you'll get what you want. But also be realistic in what you want to achieve and you'll be happy.

Change things up every week and you'll see results--I guarantee it.

I did personal training for years during college when I was a triathlete. Now I just work out to take care of myself. Oh another thing, you're dinners must be your smallest meal of the day as you can't burn the calories while you sleep.

Hang in there...

7. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    You need to eat more than twice a day if you're going for weight loss. From what it sounds like you may be undereating for the amount of working out that you're doing. Try adding some more calories to your diet and more frequently throughout the day. IMO weight loss is 70% diet 30% exercise.

8. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    Ok, so Ive changed things up a bit, now I am alternating each day with either rowing or biking. One day I will do an intense 45 min on the bike, and the next an intense 45 min on the rowing machine. So far this has worked great over the past week. Already have lost 5 pounds. Going to keep at this rate for another 2 weeks or so and see where I am at then.

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I am turning 50 soon and JUST discovered through influence from a friend/expert 'eating for your blood type'....let's just say it has been amazing. I am no longer 'poisoning' my digestive system and fighting the food I ingest, instead eating recommended food for my type and my digestive system is more comfortable, I have more energy since food isn't a PAINFUL experience, etc.

If you are regularly working out, you can GORGE on recommended food and your body will maintain the perfect healthy weight and strength. I have been an athlete my whole life and NEVER took a break once from overall decent fitness, but this has jump started a tired body :D

I recommend you have a look. This book is pretty much 'the bible' on this subject. All you will ever need, and no, I am not the author :D, or affiliated

dadamo.com

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I would like to suggest you also use weight machines. I know you don't want to use weights, but you will find significant improvement if you would adopt some into your regimen. I am not suggesting any heavy weights, but a weight you can comfortably push out ten reps, and struggle on the last two or three.

For example, shoulders; military press--three sets of 12; benchpress 3 sets of 12. Form and sets are more important than weight when you're tying to achieve definition and lose weight. Creating heat in the muscle burns fat far beyond your workout--nothing else does this short of running. Also, do some machine squats. Studies have shown that as men age their legs weaken dramatically, resulting in hip and shoulder problems when they fall. Again, I'm not talking heavy weight here; find your center and go through the motions "correctly". If you are not familiar with a machine, ask a trainer to show you.

I promise you will not only feel the results, but see them.

Please, be sure to clear ANY excercise program with your doctor!!!

Mike great stuff, where do you find that information.

11. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    More suggestions for you Seth. When you start lifting free weights do not let your manly ego trick you into thinking the heavier the better. First you startout lite but not to much, you want to develope a mind to muscle connection while getting a full extension and contraction of the muscle or muscle group you are working. For example I have personaly never cared for the benchpress mainly because I have right arm frontal deltoid injury from a motorcycle accident so I fell back on strictly using dumbells. It's actually very simple in that you use a weight heavy enough yet light enough for you to focus upon a specific muscle or muscle group, use your mind to move the weight. Oh and form play's a major role in making this happen.

I'm about to begin a regimen to prepare for the police academy after a 15yr layoff from serious training and I can tell you that if you do what I have suggested you will surpass your expectations. The body has a thing called muscle memory and I have jumped months ahead of friends in results just lifting in their garages for fun, they thought I was on roids. Oh and one other thing as suggested, you need to eat more often preferably every 2-3 hours have a high protein snack such as hard boiled eggs. Remember you are fueling an engine and the less you eat the body goes into what is called a starvation mode. Our body's are smart and if they get used to only being fed two times a day they will store all the energy it needs for survival ie fat. The more you eat, healthy of course, the more body fat you will loose. You may gain weight but it will be healthy muscle mass weight so dont pay attention to the scale but pay more attention to the mirror.

I studied nutrition in my spare time when I was hardcore and was offered a job training clients at several gyms including one owned by a pro bodybuilder. Simply put 90% of your results are based upon nutrition and the other 10% is based upon ones form and concentration while lifting weights. I have used MetRx since '90 and it taste great and has a high protien count. It was invented by a cardiologist for his patients who had suffered as stroke/heart attack so they would not have muscle atrophy while being bed ridden for weeks or even months at a time, I have personal experience in that department.

Good luck and keep us informed ok,
    tex

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    He said he didn't like weight machines. That's why I suggested he use free weights.