Would a high mileage f430 scare you? Just put a deposit on a car with 50k miles | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Would a high mileage f430 scare you? Just put a deposit on a car with 50k miles

Discussion in '360/430' started by goto35march, Jan 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Thanks! Have to check this out ASAP - help me sleep better and drive faster ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans

Thanks for sharing this!

I was more weary of buying a low mileage car than one that had been driven....you spend a lot up front and you STILL get bills for AGING parts, regardless of miles, it's the time on them.

Usually the ones with miles on them have had most things sorted out that aren't wear related issues.

vrsurgeon and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    not giving on this car because of you guys and this thread. The dealer is a VERY reputable dealer in fact they also sell Hyper Cars. I just want to make sure other than the leaky fuel pump, WHAT else is wrong right now!

If i do get the car, i'll probally have the dealer change spark plugs, new engine filters. They already changed the oil.

4. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    OK so clarification spoke the place that did the first ppi.

according to them 2 things wrong with the car:
    1. fuel pump leak needs fixing
    2. I thought tires were new, they have been Heavily tracked and there is a lot of cracking on them. which is how they come to the conclusion that someone tracked this car hard.

because of the tire wear, they came to the conclusion for me not to buy this car. anyways second ppi, lets see what happens.

5. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    according to carfax tires were replaced 3/10/2018. they looked brand new from outside when i saw the car. but last owner probably went on a track before he traded it in. lol

6. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Engine air filters? They're <$50 each w/ shipping for genuine Ferrari ones. https://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-F430-Air-Filter/dp/B00IZFM0G4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548881957&sr=8-2&keywords=ferrari+f430+air+filter

Spark plugs are <$70 for 4. So not huge $ amounts if you are stuck replacing yourself. https://www.amazon.com/NGK-PMR8B-Laser-Platinum-Spark/dp/B00604WNGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548882316&sr=8-1&keywords=ferrari+f430+spark+plugs

So for roughly $250 and a few minutes time you're in business if you can't get the dealer to do it.

7. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    amazing! just saw the spark plug diy from Dan the man and looks simple (i still cant do it, but doesnt look like its more than a 1 hour job). awesome!
    Thank you btw for the info!!

8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

@goto35march Interesting situation you have going on, because I had a similar one with the new to me F430 that I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I did something that was completely out of character for me and purchased the F430 without a PPI, for a few personal reasons, but also because I had enough outside info to make me feel reasonably comfortable making the purchase. Part of that is; at the end of the day, there's only so much you can ask for in a "value" car.

At $75K, the Ferrari you're evaluating is one of the least expensive F430's in the country. It's a great deal for a DIY'er, or someone who wants into a F430 quickly and then work/pay on issues over time. Any car you purchase can be a gamble. There are plenty of $120K cars out there that are ticking time bombs, or that may be fraudulent (accident/flood cover up and not on Carfax). You can also have a 25k mile car that has been hard driven and never serviced or 50k mile cars that have been babied. Point is, there is rarely a "100% safe" choice.

If it helps any, I purchased mine for $89.9K plus tax with 25k miles. Interior looked great, clutch at 84%. Similar to yours had the tinted taillights and other minor mods that probably kept some (the purists) away. The day I was to fly over there to pick it up, like yours, they reported they had found leaky fuel pumps during final inspection. Dealer claimed to have replaced them, however, I was able to reach the mechanic at the shop (specializes in exotics) they outsource to (after the purchase was finalized) and he said they only sealed the leaks on both sides, but that the issue is fixed I shouldn't have anything to worry about; at least in the sense that I don't need to replace them at this time. We've gotten in there to look at it, and I've driven it over 1,000 miles in two weeks and no issues or resurgent leaks. Seems like an easy fix for now. We immediately went, and serviced the vehicle ourselves with new oil, oil filter, transmission fluid, spark plugs, air filters, etc. It is driving like new now.

Based on past experiences I feel that as long the car has not had too long of a gap between services, I would not fear high miles. That opinion is based on knowing the car wasn't heavily tracked though. Get your PPI, then look at the car, and see if you get the vibe the owner cared for it or whether it has been neglected.Do a gut check and then decide. Just always be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best.

Good luck either way, although nerve wrecking at times, this is an exciting experience!

chas-3 and DefunctNeurons like this.
  9. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I saw this post on FB. It caught my interest..
    I have a 348 serie speciale with 64k miles on the clock.

I have every service record, I'm anal retentive about the maintenance... the only things needed for a full restoration are carpet and seat re-leather.

It's a consistent platinum winner.... the compression / leak down tests show it's basically a new car. Never tracked.

Yet the mileage screws me.

This car is a driven garage queen... if the proper maintenance is performed is the mileage really a factor except for the internet arm chair opinions?

I see cars at Concours ...and events that quite honestly look like complete s**t. Owners spraying them down with Meguiars instead of proper quartz coatings and gyeon prep?

Yep I'm biased but I'll take a higher mileage driven car as opposed to a never driven product.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brookliner7 likes this.
  10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I mentioned this about 100 times in this forum and I guess I will have to do it another 100 times - this type of mileage is absolutely nothing for the F430. My Scud had 85 000km when I sold it and it still felt like a new car. And I don't mean just like a good car - the engine worked absolutely perfect and without using a single drop of oil. I am absolutely sure, that the F430's engine can take about 300 000km without a problem (if used normally of course).

A high mileage car is always the better choice - first you buy it cheaper, second - even if you put some miles on it, you will not lose much money and third - it was not sitting in the garage for years, which is always the worst thing that can happen to a car.

And of course the first think that I can think of is this widely known video:

cavlino, SoftwareDrone, Zed82 and 2 others like this.
  11. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Hey guys quick update..

Car is with Ferrari dealer. They confirmed one side fuel pump leaking.

Dealer will pay to replace the fuel pump and is saying if I want to do both sides I have to pay for other side.

DO I PAY TO REPLACE BOTH FUEL PUMPS OR JUST HAVE DEALER REPLACE THE ONE LEAKING ONE.

They will tell me cost Monday. Dealer said only one side leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Just had both of my pumps replaced due to leaking - age related (only 7200 miles). Do both pumps - cheaper and safer to just get it done at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    While I’ve never owned an F430 I’ve sure read a lot of these forums and the general consensus is to replace them both. Unless you know the other one is relatively new it would be the “safe” bet. I think it’s more to do with mowing you won’t have the other pump leak shortly after the other one is replaced. To my mind it seems logical to do them both at the same time so you know you have 2 new pumps that in theory will last and operate exactly the same.

14. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Check the car out of good buy it. Mileage doesn’t mean anything. Care and records do... my car had 30k when i bought now 50k and just won platinino at FCA Concorso.. not bad but i bought low and had to put money into her.. one bad part cost me a lot of money. Car is sorted now and drives great. No matter what ppi says be prepared to spend money to sort out issues. Maybe 10-15k reserve. I bought my car low + what i have spent still doesn’t have me where most people I know bought Their car for.... so i have been able to drive with out fear of mileage and the associated depreciation. I have A blast in my 430 .. if it checks out, buy it!!

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  15. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S

5k a year is a good reserve and that doesn’t include maintance ... i would go with no warranty and reserve that same amount per year. That is more than my average spend and i have done a clutch and full breaks along with a lot of other maintance.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  16. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Thanks guys.

Car is still sitting in Ferrari dealer.

They have diagnosed one leaking fuel pump. I asked how much for one vs 2. Dealer said I need to pay difference.

Ferrari service rep said other fuel pump is fine and no need to change (I’d rather change both).

Also the mechanic is Going to inspect the car for other issues Monday. So right now all we know is leaky fuel pump.

17. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    When I bought my 2006 430 in 2016 I had to make a choice as to whether I would continue service at an authorized dealer being that the car had been out of warrantee for quite some time.
    While I have no doubt that you can receive excellent service through a dealer I knew that I would be paying very high prices for fixes. I found a local qualified mechanic with all of the software necessary to maintain my car. He maintains quite a few Ferrari's, Lambo's, McLarens, etc. I figure that I have saved an enormous amount of money that I could never see returned on resale. My air conditioning compressor failed at 12,000 miles and my mechanic sent it to Georgia where it was rebuilt for $250. It works flawlessly. A new one would have cost a fortune. My of my eDiff hydraulic lines exploded last year and I was facing the prospect of buying a new hydraulic loom which would have been close to
    7K. My mechanic found an engineering company in Florida that rebuilt the loom to a much better spec than the factory items for $1200 using the factory connectors with superior lines. There are numerous other things that I have done to my car that have ended up costing me less than servicing at an authorized dealer. This might matter to a someone who is a prospective buyer, but given the resale value of these cars at this point it just doesn't seem worth the price to see a Ferrari script at the top of the bill. Just my opinion. As I have dealt with each problem over the last two years, it has become apparent to me that buying a car with super low mileage might sound tantalizing but in my case the sedentary life of my 430 produced a car with a lot of problems that had to be sorted out due to being driven an average of a thousand miles a year. Low mileage and PPI's do not reveal all that could happen after buying a garage queen. As you sort out the few problems that pop up from time to time and accept the fact that there will be yearly maintenance, the joy of driving these cars becomes well worth it.
    I ditched the factory headers, fixed the tail light's inherent problem with cracking at the connecting posts and I really don't spend any time worrying about going out for a drive as much as I want.

SAFE4NOW and DefunctNeurons like this.
  18. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I don’t neccicarrily disagree with what you have said, however I’d like to point a few things out. There will come a time when you will wind up needing to send your car to an authorized repair shop. It’s a good idea, even though it does cost more to at least establish a relationship with the dealer for some service and parts. Will help you out down the road. Also in the case of the inspection the op has been advised to have would be the same inspection Ferrari requires to qualify for the power warranty. Probably the best indicator of what condition a car would be in and frankly could potentially save you a headache or at least give you a roadmap of repairs needed.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I actually have made the trip numerous times to an authorized Ferrari dealer with a great reputation with past Ferrari's. The dealer is 4 1/2 hours from me and on more than one occasion I returned after the service or the transport brought my car back with things not done that I asked or were forgotten. If this were a car that had a serious amount of value, your arguments all hold water, but since this is a Ferrari that is hardly worth 100K the extra trouble isn't worth it. I will never purchase a new Ferrari and I am very satisfied with the local shop here so what works for me probably isn't ideal for everyone. Your arguments have validity, of course so I am not arguing your points. Since there isn't a Ferrari dealer near by, my mechanic is able to get any parts necessary through his relationship with the various dealers throughout the region. There will be those that won't touch my ride even though it is totally sorted and runs beautifully because it doesn't have all of the receipts with a Ferrari dealer stamp at the top. I am cool with that.

SAFE4NOW and azlin75 like this.
  20. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I agree there are a lot of very good independant mechanics that are very capable, and if I had an F430 or older I know I’d probably have the bulk done at an Indi as well. I wanted to point out in my post that it still is a good idea to establish a relationship with a Ferrari dealer, which it appears you have, as well because there will likely be times you’ll need them.

It’s my opinion that with any car newer then an F430 ( a California, 458, 488 ect) you will likely need more service and hence a good relationship with a Ferrari dealer. But indi’s are becoming more and more knowledgeable with the newer breed of cars as well. Used to be only a Ferrari dealer could service the DCT but more and more independant shops are getting the training and tools to do that too, though none that I am aware near me.

But back to the point like Safe4now mentioned having the inspection done for the power warranty at a Ferrari dealer should catch anything of note needing attention. I forget what the cost is for the inspection but likely it’s cheap insurance at the least to know what’s going on and at best could save you from a purchase that will quickly drain you bank account and probably your soul.

21. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
  22. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Thanks boy. Yes that’s the premise I told Ferarri dealer. Interested in the warranty. Let’s see what they say. They offered it at $4500. They are gonna Inspect Monday.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS.

let’s see if we can make me a Ferrari owner next week haha.

SAFE4NOW, brookliner7 and azlin75 like this.
  23. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Let us know what they told you after the inspection at Ferrari and how the results affect the possibility to get the Power warranty.

24. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Excellent news!

S

25. Swissoz

Swissoz Rookie

Jan 14, 2019
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    If it makes you feel any better I just bought a 430 Scuderia with 25000klms that apparently had the power cube warranty option available but they could not provide me with any necessary paperwork to show me the Ferrari PPI. However being a European car it had all the necessary Ferrari stamps however none of the yearly maintenance stamps. But it seems to be the norm in Europe. The car inside and out is in immaculate condition and for a price of 164K swiss francs I am happy and have plenty in reserve for any unexpected problems. Although fingers are crossed just a little. Like everything life its a gamble. Some you win some you lose. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.