Would anybody want to read a book of pictures of clay models? | FerrariChat

Would anybody want to read a book of pictures of clay models?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by bitzman, Mar 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have been trying for years to get my publisher interested in a book of clay models
    --say on Corvettes--showing all the wild directions they went in before settling on the production design.
    I think it's interesting but I am a frustrated car designer. Does anybody else think this is interesting? Here's one example shot of one clay for the '63 Corvette.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

David_S, crinoid and anunakki like this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Over the years, many people I’ve come into contact with have expressed an interest in the design process, both clay models and full-size airbrush renderings. No one has ever attempted such a task.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Definitely! Go for it!

Of course, the downside may be intellectual property rights claimed by the various car brands.

jm2 likes this.
  4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would love it

jm2 likes this.
  5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    everyone loves models and mud, right?

ingegnere and jm2 like this.
  6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    To John's point, why stop at just clay models to show all the wild concepts?

Personally I love the whole design phase including the clay models but especially would love to see more about the artistry and talent of the people making the clays, but that's just me. Don't know if there are that many people out there that would have this interest unless they're studying or planning to study design.

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #7 jm2, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I believe there is an interest in the alternative designs that never happened. There was a great deal of interest when Ferrari showed the 5 designs that were considered for LaFerrari. They showed the full size clays along with the design sketches.
    Every car has a story. Each car has a unique design story in how the team developed the final design. There is currently interest in the American cars from the ‘50’s & ‘60’s. Telling the backstories of many of those classics has never been attempted.

8. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Yes, yes, and yes. Throw in sketches and wind tunnel models and you've got a winner. It would take a lot of work and may not have mass appeal, but there are some great stories to tell and history to document.

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I’ve got the development photos from the ‘08 Cadillac CTS program, as well as some ‘97 Pontiac Grand Prix shots.

anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  10. jelpspeed

jelpspeed Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Full Name:
    Ever Lopez
    I would love to!

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    It just occurred to me that this might have been the first starting iteration of the new 2020 ME C8.

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  13. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Style Auto, a bi-monthly (or so) magazine from Italy and then later Car Styling out of Japan did a lot of coverage of the design process for individual models. The book by Roy Longberger on Bill Mitchell does some good insights on the design and people involved for a specific set of cars done under Mitchell's reign.

If this subject were to be attempted, I believe that it needs to delve into the process with the alternatives not selected. Unfortunately there may be resistance from the corporations when the path selected was the lesser choice.

The website Dean's Garage has some interesting articles sometimes that gets into how and why a design came to be the way it was. This can also involve the politics of the people involved in making the decisions.

Smiles and jm2 like this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You got it right.

FWIW, I have the complete set of Car Styling Books and Style Auto.
    If anyone's interested, PM me.

15. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I have a BFA from the NY State College of Ceramics at Alfred University. I was told by one of my tenured art professors there that Alfred was once the prime recruiting ground for clay modelers for the automotive industry. As an aside, some of my engineering classmates went to work for Champion Spark Plugs or LOF Glass (windshields).

jm2 likes this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki likes this.
  17. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Cab you PM me th email of th Mitchell book author? I tied to find contact for publisher but maybe it was self published. Thanks