Would appreciate insight on 812 vs others. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would appreciate insight on 812 vs others.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by RomanD, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I ordered my 812 , should receive it late 2019, I am driving an FF and a 488... I hv back problems too... swimming helped me a lot ... 488 is fine even in slippery road... FF is great in slippery road since it's a AWD till the 4th gear

Order an 812 it will be a great super exotic GT, and get an FF or a GTC to enjoy till u get your 812.... FF ride is very good even w back problems .... great car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhn2000 likes this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you'll need to buy it for the love of the car, not the $$$. having a 812 delivered anytime 2019 on you will take between a $60-120k hit not counting any "flips" the dealer requires of you. Any GTC4 Lusso or T requirements will add potential another $50-100k loss. 488's are end of line and taking bigger hits now unless you get their special edition coming soon.

3. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Glad to be within this fun asylum haha. And I will definitely test all options out.

4. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Great cars you got there. I’ll definitely check out a GTC later this year.

Jordan68 likes this.
  5. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    #30 RomanD, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Honestly here in Canada, they hold much better than in the US. But I definitely understand what you’re saying and I will order it for the fun and greatness of the car. And I was informed, I can order it without buying any other.

6. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Completely true. The Ferrari has bumpy road mode at least. Although this is probably a car I’d drive either early morning or really late when not many cars are on the road. And most likely on our fun bendy highways and 80KM/H roads along the lakeshore.

7. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    I will definitely look into one later this year. And yeah I was surprised too but Canada gets a healthy amount of allocations I guess.

8. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    That’s insane. Ferrari really did do an amazing job with the tech in all the assurance systems. The rear wheel steering must be beneficial too. By this point I’ve already decided on the 812. Thank you for the insight, sounds like you had a lot of fun.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    all of these are dealer cars, so hard to judge what true selling prices are, I know in USA dealers are asking about 10-20% higher than typical sales price. This shows asking prices the low side $60-120k of my range for loss and I bet with true sales numbers closer to $100k. I just went through process of buying a new Ferrari and selling it, the process is great if you don't mind the loss and keeping the car a long time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. RomanD

RomanD Karting

Jan 7, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Roman Daniel
    Interesting, we don’t get many markups, some secondary dealers would just sell a used Ferrari for less, not necessarily market. And to be honest I would be keeping this car for a very long time. Especially if the world goes electric and everything shifts I would have the last NA engine and all that.

rob lay likes this.
  11. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    It was a great couple of days (shame about the rain). Definitely recommend booking the Corso Pilota through your dealer - nice way to get used to the 812. Two days on track with racing drivers to upgrade your skill levels. Should get you revved up for the 812 experience while you wait for yours. I posted a few (rainy) photos of the two days at Fiorano in the 812 thread if you wanna take a look. This link should take you there if interested: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145663088/

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My advice is get an F12 or FF first. Ferrari is different from everyone else, even Lamborghini, McLaren and Porsche. I suggest get a nice pre owned Ferrari- it could also be a 458- and see what you think. Going around corners is about the level of grip at a given tire not really the drive system. The AWD will help you if you want to pull away from a stop and traction is somewhat limited. I'd been driving RWD only cars for a very long time before I got my first AWD car (helps with hills and snow where I live). Take your time to learn the car. And I suggest apply to the Ferrari Corso Pilota. You will be astonished at what these cars are capable of. Make sure to keep a deposit for the 812. If you are loving this, then go for the 812. If you decide its not for you then you can sell and not get too beat up on the resale (458 is probably your best bet for holding value right now). I hope you really like the Ferrari experience and if you get your first Ferrari you will see you are welcomed to the family!

http://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/owners/driving-courses/

R J likes this.
  14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ferrari dealers aren’t too keen to give test drives. Especially if you are a stranger

But if you spend time with a dealer they may let you drive a used Ferrari .

Since you want an 812, a test drive will be pretty difficult. Long waiting list and very few used if any. New cars which customers are waiting to take delivery on aren’t just allowed to be driven by people other than the owner.

With Lamborghini it’s much easier to get a test drive. Why because there are plenty of used and even brand new cars in search of a home.

At least that’s been my experience with the authorized dealers of both Marques in my city, Los Angeles

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    As has been mentioned I do not think traction is such a concern, Ferrari improves their mastering of RWD faster than they increase the power (my 599 was far easier than my 575 in spite of having more than 100 hp more...)

How does it come you cannot drive a 812, doesn't your dealer have a demo car?
    Even on a very short test drive you would realise how impressive the 812 is :)

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Here’s an idea.
    Ferrari hosts driving courses where you can drive the current cars in 8 and 12 cylinders.
    I think there is a course in Canada.
    book a course with your dealer. Perhaps during the rainy season to get an idea of how a Ferrari would meet your wet and slippery weather concerns

17. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    The only test I would like to see is 812 vs 720s.

18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Depends on what kind of person you are is what I would ask first.
    Are you a youtuber, under 25 years old or succesfull in the pron industry; get an Aventador.
    If not, go with Ferrari.

In all seriuousness, Aventadors are typically owned by people that do not buy these cars for their driving pleasure.
    If you are dead set on 4wd and an exotic, buy a Lambo Performante. It has good seating position, 4wd and handles well.
    The Aventador is a useless drivers car.

Makuono likes this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Even though I agree that an 812 is the better driver's car, the new Aventador S is vastly improved and a worthy supercar.

20. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Agreed, but seating position is awkward on an Aventador (S).
    One does get the notion that the car wasn't properly designed as a 'drivers' car, much like the F12/812 is.

21. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sorry, I can only repeat my first post, if you have a bad back you cannot even consider an Aventador. It could be twice as fast, twice as good looking, twice an 812 in every department, but if it kills your back, as it does, you will never experience those sensations. Any talk about performance is irrelevant IMHO.

It is renowned as a business maker for osteopaths.

22. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    What cars do you currently have?

23. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Have never driven a Lamborghini. But every review I read in Evo magazine, Top Gear magazine and another other magazine are all universally united in their opinion on the seats in Lamborghinis - they are back breakers! Entirely unsuited to any human shape. There must be something in that if every journalist complains. My wife is notorious for not finding any car seat comfortable - my Aston kills her back after a long drive (I am ok with the Aston - no major discomfort); Range Rover she can’t spend more than 10 mins in before back ache sets in (I must confess to finding it an odd shaped seat too). Every Ferrari I have driven (all of which have been fitted the carbon sports seats) however are remarkably comfortable, inducing zero aches or pains. Drove tdf for 6 hours non-stop (save for a few short fuel stops) from South France to Tuscany in the summer and got out the other end of the journey with zero aches or pains. No butt numbing or back aches at all. Best seats ever in my view. Same experience on return trip. My wife too had zero complaints about the tdf seats, despite her being the most condemning of all car seats to date. Have not driven an F car with standard seats - but curious about the all way adjustable seat on 812. The cars i drove on the corso pilota only had carbon sports seats - same with the 488. Great seats. Wouldnt be brave enough to spec electric seats in 812 despite mu curiosity in case wife doesn’t like them - but know she loves the carbon sports seats so would stick with those. Just wish could convince Ferrari to fit the race seat lifter to both driver and passenger seat. They clearly have the equipment to do both sides, as you can get seat lifter on both left and right hand drive cars, but wont let you spec passenger seat with seat lifter.

RomanD, jumpinjohn and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I am similarly puzzled on why they don't offer the lifter for the passenger seat. At first I thought maybe it has to do with the airbag(s)? But the driver seat has just as much variability, perhaps more with the airbag itself moving due to driver steering wheel location preference. Have you noticed the passenger seat doesn't offer as much support? The driver's seat is more of a bucket.

25. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hi Roman, welcome bud! 812 would be my choice but I have been in an Aventador and what an experience, very theatrical and loud! Anyhow if you are good with the wait for the 812 then do it, I will tell you that things change a lot at Ferrari and it make come sooner (or longer). On a side note what I heard is that they have upwards of 60+ deposits and considering they will get about 10-12 cars a year (?) do the math. Someone said FF, there is a 2016 Nero FF that is at their Avenue road showroom and I would pick that up in a heartbeat if I didn't have the Lusso! Take care.

RomanD likes this.