Would you buy a F430 today? | FerrariChat

Would you buy a F430 today?

Discussion in '360/430' started by lencap, Oct 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Greetings!

I've been considering getting a replacement for the 360 three pedal car I sold several years ago (before the prices took off). I've been considering a 458 as well as a FF. (You can find my post in the FF forum).

I selected those two models for different reasons - the 458 seems to me an easy choice, the last naturally aspirated V8. The FF as a remarkably reasonably priced car that will hold me and my three grandsons and do everything I may ever want to do.

But recently I've been seeing some really clean F430s coming for sale at relatively attractive prices. In particular I've seen a 2009 F1 transmission car, under 15K miles in good colors (but not red), not much above the 100K level.

My question is: Are the F430s still worth considering given the modest price difference between them and the older model 458s? I'm not looking to track the car, just enjoy it as a weekend toy. Your thoughts are welcome.

2. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Every time I look or drive my F430 I am smiling. Don't care how much nicer the newer ones are the F430 is a outstanding automobile.!

unreelviper and whatheheck like this.
  3. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I went from a F430 F1 to a 360 spider as the 360 I got was 6MT. I have also driven newer Ferraris like 488, Lusso and 812 before. But the F430 will experience will always remain one of the best for me as I think its got the best combination/ratio of technology and rawness. The engine sound it makes is better than any of the other Ferraris I have driven IMO. I think the driving experience of the F430 is 'timeless' so I say go for it!

4. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    Obviously biased opinions here but the 430, to me, is the sweet spot. 458’s are great but that is when Ferrari moves into modern era of more weight / size / tech / luxury etc.

430’s give you last gen character with modern day reliability.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you could probably get a higher mileage 430 and higher mileage FF, for nearly the same price as a lower mileage 458.....

6. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
  7. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Interesting thread topic. Subscribed for further inputs with you O P .

8. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I went from a 360 Coupe to a 430 Spider, but could have had a 458 as well. I decided that I wanted the best of the past era and a car that had been on the market for many years with all the bugs documented, with solutions, and a variety of aftermarket as well. The list of negatives on the 430 is probably the smallest list of any Ferrari ever. Ever. Period. Also, the 430 may have a better ownership experience as it ages as it does not have the collection of LCD screens and techy stuff that the newer generation has. I also know I can do most of the work myself. Performance wise, there is nothing that the 430 leaves me wanting. Also, at this point, the 430 is at or near the bottom of the depreciation curve. To find a 458 with the specs, colors, etc on my 430 would have been $70k wasted.

JaguarXJ6, TroyNVie, PAUROSO and 4 others like this.
  9. James T Grotto

Oct 23, 2019
    Saratoga NY
    Full Name:
    James Tiberius Grotto
    I have a friend that let me drive his 458 , it was great. 458's are the ones everybody wants. I found a NERO F430 Spider, drove it , and never looked back. Timeless beauty. I say to you ,go for it if you find one you like, and enjoy it. Hey its a Ferrari.

Manda racing likes this.
  10. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    I went from '07 430 to '14 FF and so glad I made the decision. While the 430 was great, the many little issues, rattles, noises, gremlins made me crazy. I know some people just accept this is part of the "experience", but for me the newer model put my mind/OCD at ease. Can't go wrong with either. Good luck.

11. James T Grotto

Oct 23, 2019
    Saratoga NY
    Full Name:
    James Tiberius Grotto
    Well said !

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Why would I buy a 430 F1 when I could buy a 458 for lets say $10k more?

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

430 MT is the way to go.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My answer to your question is no, I wouldn't. But the real question is would/ should/ you buy an F430? Its a wonderful car. I think the 458 is better, but it really depends on which things you are looking for.

I think the 430 will feel more of a sports car to the 458's supercar. The 430 doesn't do as much to assist you and the experience of driving it is fairly similar at all speeds and all throttle positions. The 458 is a different type of beast, if you use large throttle applications, drive it with verve, it will actually give you an even more rewarding street driving experience because I think it provides some subtle sensations you wouldn't be able to get in the 430 unless you were on a track. But- if you will drive it but not so hard, then I think you might wonder why so many love the 458. The 458 is built to a much higher standard and will handle sitting better than the 430. Also the 458 handles highway sweepers much better than the 430- which will understeer at speeds in excess of ~75MPH.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great car. best exhaust note ever. not great for daily driving as the single clutch is clunky

16. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Best advice is for you to drive both as they are 2 different cars. F430 is more raw, the F1 is race car feel,w suspension is harsh, steering has great feedback and this is what makes the 430 fun. On the flip side the 458 DCT is sophisticated and smooth, like it's suspension, but get the revs up and she can scream! I think the 458 can do everything the 430 can do but better. I think it's a great time to buy exotics because it's a very soft market. Can't go wrong with either but only you can make that choice.

17. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    FF or 458

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    430 is more fun at normal road speeds. 458 is better and faster. FF allows your grandkids to join in - less fun per person, more in total..

19. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    430 - Best drive
    458 - Best car
    FF - Best compromise

20. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just sold my F430 after almost 4 years of ownership. It’s a great car for the money, given it’s known faults. I only sold it to move up to a more modern Ferrari. By todays standards the performance is lacking, but certainly a nice car for a first Ferrari or just cruising around. I don’t think I’d buy another one though, I wouldn’t want to deal with the sticky interior parts, exhaust manifolds, engine mounts, ball joints..etc..again..

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The 430 works well at its price point, especially ones with a few miles in the $90-95k range. My understanding from repeated talks with the local service dept is that the 07-09 430s are were modern Ferraris get "reliable*." Manual or Scuds are the long term collectibles though and are mid-to-high 100ks.

Really for a clean 458, even with miles, you're looking at $65-70k over a 430 of comparable condition. That said, initially I was looking at 430 coupes and spiders for over 18 months, but once I drove a 458 again on something of a lark with the idea of buying on the mind... it was really on another level that justified the extra $90k+ in price and sales tax (private party 430 would have been no sales tax in NV). Tested a CPO 2017 Cali T as well since that seemed like a value too. But weeks later I was driving the 458 home.

*Relative term.

22. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I had the exact same experience... just picked up my ‘07 Nero F430 Spider 20k miles. Amazing car for the price point

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I have a 08 430 F1 spider and will echo the comments made regarding the car as the sweet spot between old and new, just like my 550. I recently picked up a McLaren 675LT spider, which in my opinion is still one of the best all around sports cars ever, and as great as it is it can’t match the loud racy feel of the 430 for weekend fun. The only way to decide is drive them because they’re all so different the choice should be obvious afterwards.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    675LT... lucky you. So sweet. But, I’m excited to hear that my ‘ole F 430 still hangs up there...!!

I just love it

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The 675 is truly epic in a hyper car way and it looks and drives like a $500k car, the really cool part is the proactive suspension which rides amazing well when you want that and also the rock solid convertible for nice days. The 430 imho is the perfect high performance sports car for the road, it has plenty of low rpm power and screams to 8500 and you feel like you’re actually controlling the car vs the more simulated experience of most of today’s cars. Where I live the 430 is more than powerful enough to get me in trouble, the 675 is way to powerful for my surroundings but at the current prices and only 500 spiders worldwide I had to go for it.

Caeruleus11, ryalex and cole328 like this.