Would you buy a Maserati right now? | FerrariChat

Would you buy a Maserati right now?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by s2000brian, Apr 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. s2000brian

s2000brian Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Cincinnati/Douglas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I am looking at a Maser Spyder CC, but I am having trouble deciding what to do since the company is at such a crossroads. If Fiat does take control, the following could happen:

1. Maser would stop sharing parts with Ferrari and instead raid the parts bin at Fiat
    2. When Fiat re-introduces Alfa to the US, Maser would be repositioned to be a 'premium Alfa' instead of a 'Junior Ferrari.'

This could do one of two things, either cheapen the Maserati nameplate, devaluing all models, or make the Ferrari-produced Masers more valuable.

Now, I am not expecting my Spyder to be worth $200,000 a few years down the road, but do you think that being produced by Ferrari will keep the car from depreciating as quickly? Also, residual values for these cars have dropped like rocks- will they continue to drop, or will they stabilize eventually like Ferrari tend to? For instance, will an '02 Spyder that stickered for $110k that is now worth $60k be worth $30k in 2 years, or where will it slow down?

Thanks.

2. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Yes, As a matter of fact I am thinking of trading in my 2004 Spyder for either a 90th anniversary Spyder or Gransport while their engines our still being built by Ferrari. Will this help in deprection? Who knows but it can't hurt. My car was in for service last week at the Ferrari dealership and I was a little worried about how things would go on that end but I was treated to great service by them. And if I buy a new Maserati from them now it would be serviced by them till end of warranty. Also remember that most did not pay sticker so deprecation is not as bad as your numbers show

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I just did, even after the announcement.

Dale

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i cant see a 02 spyder going down to 30k..at anytime...certainly not in 2years...i think it will decrease in value, but much more slowly..it has taken it big hit already...at 30k, i will take two please!!!!

5. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    from what ive read maserati WILL continue parts sharing with Ferrari, especially engines and gearbox.it wouldnt make sense for maserati to lower itself hence compete with alfa romeo.

alfa is the one who is benefitting of the new relationship and after the new QP and Gransport, maserati seems to be producing very competent and desirable cars.

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Buy a decent used one and save the big hit. Just make sure to get a warranty with it that covers that gearbox.

Bob S.

7. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    anyone knows exactly what the price of the anniversary editon will be?

8. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    Agreed !

Buy a Low Mileage '03.

9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    This article estimates $130-150 but dealer tells me price still not set but expects it to be around 15-20% above standard and with only 90 cars being allocated to the North American market will probably have to pay at least list.
    http://macleans.auto123.com/en/info/news/previews,view,Maserati.spy?artid=31821&pg=1

10. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    No will not buy... as just did. Nero GS is mine! ;-)

11. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Well my dealer was telling me between $115K-$120K. at $130K-$150K you have got to be insane to get one IMHO.

12. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I agree. Your $115-$120 seems right in line with 15%-20% over standard model I was told by dealer, So looks like that is where they will be.

13. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    anyone has a picture of the 90th anniversary in silver?

14. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    the source is macleans canada so $130-150k may be is canadian?
    if the regular spyders new or used are in the $60-90k USD range, i dont think the 90th anniversary model justified that much premium.

further, 2005 already their 91th anniversary...
    hard to imagine how they can market the car as someone mentioned in another thread that the 2006 spyder would be the anniversary model.

15. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    It just doesn't feel good to me that F and M are not owned by the same co. I think it is a step backwards for M and that their value will drop. Who knows? I like the QP and thought of buying one but I want a dealer in my town and now with the ownership thing I don't know.

16. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    I understand but you must appreciate that Fiat has to raise money and so slaughtering the fatted calf is the only way - Ferrari must go IPO and anything that negatively affects the books is a liability to raise the wonga. Again, at the dealership level everything remains the same and you'll see F/M dealers (F's have always had and willl continue to have an artifically limited supply that makes it very interesting for dealers to 'stock' additional prestige brands) and even some will morph into F/M/A dealers. 2 dealers here in Switzerland already do this...

I understand that the tie-in with Alfa is primarily to have economies of scale to jointly source components (switchgear etc etc) from suppliers at better rates than currently with (limited supply) Ferrari. However key components/supplies will continue to be developed and produced with Ferrari. In the same way that Sauber F1 team buys Formula 1 motors from F, F will continue to provide V8's (maybe even V12's) to M for roadgoing cars.

P.S. Go buy that QP and post the pics ;-)

17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    we bought a qp over a month ago and have no regrets. even if maserati pulls out of the us (which i don't think will happen, fna knows that the mna customers are theirs as well), i believe fna will take care of the cars.

the qp is a great car. although prices are high now, i expect they will drop slightly once more cars hit the market. i don't think there is a better buy for the money right now than the maserati coupes and spyders.

if nothing else, the dollar doesn't show signs of stregthening and "new car" prices will rise further than they already have. just look at the f430.

i experienced a HUGE sticker shock this past weekend when looking at a new patek phillipe. the patek i have now cost me $14k three years ago, today, the same model sells for $24k new. that is rediculous. expect to see ALL european new car prices rise more than they already have. this will help support current used car prices which will help keep maserati alive for the short term. fiat has too much invested in the us market to walk away. hell, ferrari and maserati are their only current offerings in the us and they can't afford to take any more losses.

18. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    F and M are still owned by the same Company, Fiat. This thing is more just a shuffling of who pays the bills and who shows the losses, mainly to make Ferrari look better for a future IPO. Highly unlikely Ferrari dealerships are planning to drop the M line, Why would a couple of new F&M dealerships be opening right now if that were the plan? Brought my M into dealership this past week for service and discussed buying a new M and felt very reassured nothing has changed

19. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    Ditto my discussions here with dealer in l'ol Switzerland. All dealers are F&M and some have A too and likely this number will increase with seperate Fiat dealers without Alfa likely. So Alfa goes more to become a mass market premium brand than it has been.

I will admit that I'm getting tired of these unfounded rumours as very little substance behind them and they are not thought through. Folks need to see the world how it is today. Take Computers as an example. Although Apple competes with PC's many components are sourced from vendors such as Sony - where the others alos get many of their parts too - that also has a competing music download service to iTunes called Sony Connect. That HP PDA isn't even manufactured by HP but by a company called HPC that makes most of the other PocketPC and Smartphones for everybody else. ETC ETC. Get my drift? Who owns what is largely irrelevant today. It is how they are marketed and the lifestyle it projects that attracts customers. It could be the Pinanfarina design, the luxurious leather, that F-motor sound or the maserati cap you wanna wear... Unless you're an accountant it shouldn't be what's under inventory on the annual report.

QED.

20. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    One thing I dont think will happen is that M pull out of the US, they would have nothing to gain and everything to loose, when alls said and done North America is a huge market for premium cars.

If anything I think the parts and technical know how will benefit Alfa, but I really dont see what Alfa and M have in common apart from having the same parent company.

Perhaps another reason to remove M from Ferrari is the impending listing of Ferrari?