Would you chip in to buy DES a Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would you chip in to buy DES a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Schatten is still here, I found Ferrarichat on his site originally. He's a nice guy, I've painted & repaired his S2000 & bought my helmet through his company, Import Development.

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Import development? Hes had at least 4 diffeent "companies" in the past few years if i remember correctly. If he could afford an S2000, then why is he asking peope to buy him a ferrari? He could own a 308 for what that S2k costed him.

3. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    buying DES a ferrari is a bad idea. I myself am saving up for an exotic car and want to purchace it on my own. Theres nothing like being your own man. You can't buy that kind of pride.

p.s. wonder where DES is on this?

4. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I agree with DrTax. DES should earn this on his own. People that have things given to them never fully develop their full potential. Why would they? My parents had the ability & finances to purchase me a car when I was younger, and they never did. Now, 16 years after my 16th birthday, I am thankful that they didn't. Sometimes generosity can actually hurt the individual that is receiving the gesture. Generosity should come in the way of intangible things (support, advice, mentoring, etc.), but never financial (unless the financial support has to do with health/life).

If DES wants a Ferrari, he should work his a$$ off to get it. Just like many of us here. If he was handed a 308, that could well be his last Ferrari. If he earns it on his own, he will be well on his way to successful & independent future.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Peters, i'm blown away, i really am... Embarrassed, blushing, flattered, surprised- you name it... Thank you, this is a very generous gesture... i see the holiday spirit really gets into some people...

Bruce, LOL, insurance is actually a big part of the reason i don't - and won't - have a Ferrari for a while; i'll get to that in a minute...

Bobafett, i'm not a "reckless" driver; i just have a problem letting off the gas... :)

Dr. Tax, Bobafett, Mark (Study), Red81308, Thomas Wax, Nibbles, Ferruccio & Clax are all right, though; Barney, however, is closest, probably without even knowing it... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink... i think the harDESt thing i've ever had to do, was DO something... Get off my ass and get it done... i've always been content to just wallow in whatever situation i've been in... i was just recently talking to Bruce about that... Even my name change (something i want and initiated!) was tedious and had a air of labor to it... i started it back in May; it should be done already...
    i DO work hard, although, as someone else mentioned, it IS a dead-end job... Recently, i've been working on looking for something else; in fact, right before i jumped on the board this evening, i checked my mail and found that an employer saw my resume on monster; i need to call them... But i digress; i'm getting off topic, here...

Part of the reason i don't have a Ferrari is that they're a lot of money; not only to purchase, but to maintain... At one point, i had the money to pick up a salvaged Ferrari; however, the maintenance would've been too much; insurance, as mentioned earlier, would've been obscene, to say the least...

i admire those of you who've earned your cars... Went out, worked hard, busted your ass and bought something to show for it... i need to do the same... More and more people bring up writing and i think that's something i should seriously consider pursuing... i never thought of it as something i could actually get paid for doing...

Those of you who've earned your cars the hard way are the ones who the rest of us should be chipping in to buy something for; for setting such an exemplary example for the rest of us... Thank you all for replying to this thread...

Lastly, i can't believe there are actually some people who would chip in 50 bucks...! You folks are also awesome...! As someone else mentioned, there are plenty of other people on this board in my position, who are more DEServing of that money... i need motivation that's going to propel me from this dreary existence and bring me somewhere more appealing; charity will only perpetuate my exanimate ethic, leaving me here forever... Please don't misunderstand me, though, i'm very thankful to know that there are people out there who are actually willing to help me out; Bruce is one of those people and with his help, i've begun initiating steps to make changes...

You folks are awesome; who would ever think i could make so many great friends throughout the world on the internet... Thanks, everyone and thank you, Peter. :)
    i hope everyone's holiday is nothing short of wonderful.

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Very well said DES! I admire you all too. I will earn mine one day --hopefully in about 10 years. Problem with me is that Im just so impatient :)

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    HEY DOODY!!!!! I WORK FOR GULFSTREAM!!!!!! HOW ABOUT I TRADE LABOR FOR RIDES IN THE FERRARI.... ( 308 WANTED.... CHEAP.....) LOL

8. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Well put, DES. You are a good man.

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have a better idea. Lets all send DES our replaced Ferrari parts and let him build his OWN car! I can start with a broken left front turn signal lens (check my profile pic, you'll see it if you can distract yourself from the focus of the picture) and a latch for the top that I had to replace because the rubber wore out. (Insert your bad joke here).

10. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    DES: sorry to steal your thread, but let me make it up for ya, you can be the pilot. Of what you ask? Just read on.

Doody brought up the idea of a Gulfstream and a fractional ownership, cool but no cigar. :)

At mbworld we've been thinking about gettin a mbworld 747 but.. too much money. I believe if we can get together and combine our wits, we can get maybe a FerrariChat/MBworld 737 or something. :D You know how much fun we'd have?! Best of all, we can park it at my house.. sure i'll have to get some people to relocate, but we can think about that later!

I'll zaino it everyday...

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I know the 737s like the back of my hands, Ill fly it for you guys :)

Not bad for a private jet eh? Probably more square footage than my house anyway :)

12. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    "Buy a man a beer and he'll waste an afternoon; teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime".

13. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Would I buy him a Ferrari...HELL NO!!!!!!! Just kidding buddy...remember our lotto agreement.

14. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Hmm, this got me thinking. Would any of you Fchat members "rent" out your Fcar for like 500 dollars for one day/night to another Fchat member, or friend of yours?

I actually started to think about this, because I have several "lowrider" freinds who get asked if they can have their car rented out for prom, wedding, party, special occasion.

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I'll second the F-chat Citation-X or BBJ idea :) We could even have Art, Jordan, and myself fly it! (but I'm backup, so I get to go in back with the ladies...)

Art- I think we'd need $10k each with 4,000 users for $40mil though.

Why not? Travolta owns his own 707. He even flys it. PIC. I've heard him on the radio.

Best!
    Ben.

Hrm, the legalaties of this probally will make Art faint, but what about a $1k lifetime membership to Fchat, that gives us something like 1/250th access to the challenge car? The economies don't work out so good there. Maybe something more like a few Shifter karts?

16. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    So the plane idea is a go! I'll have to get mbworld in on this, Dan i'll let you start the thread.

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Yes. However I think a used GV-SP is better, no?

Ben: My I'll buy it, you service it offer still runs! :D

--Dan

18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Dan- just so long as we retrofit the EVS and BAE AN/ALQ-204 ;) The GV is a much bigger plane with longer range than the Citation X. However the X is the fastest commercial aircraft in the world, baring the Concorde. Yeah.

I wish Ferrari made a motorcycle, then we could put the Ferrari on the plane!

Ok, who wants to go in for maintinence with me? I belive we have a Gulfstream tech on F-chat! (muwahahah! I'm one step ahead of Dan already :)

In all seriousness, if there is a group of people on this planet who could pull something like this off, it is this group.

Best!
    Ben.

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I would pitch in a lot to Dan's Ferrari fund, but it has to be practical for him to be able to maintain and insure it.

Its true, its one thing to own a Ferrari, its another thing to afford a Ferrari.

The Sebring is to help get you over the hump in life right now. When a Ferrari can be maintained, driven, and insured with play money (money not needed for the essentials in life or used to maintain a commuter), I will gladly donate a few thousand to accelerate that dream.

Until that happens, I'd rather fly you out for a big drive weekend or help put up $$ for a couple months stay if you were serious about trying to start a life out here in CA. I think thats the more worthwhile investment that will lead to greater prosperity which leads back to what I opened this post with.

Sunny

20. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    DES,

The invite to drive is still open!

:)

A friend of mine's dad owns an Asian airline. I fly for free within Asia most of the time in first class. That's more than good enough for me. He does have a GS and those things kick ass. I've been in a Citation too but I don't know if it's a matter of options or what but I much preferred the GS. How about one of those helicopters? Hehehe. We had to replace a blade once to the tune of over $50k. Ouch! Don't ask, its not like its general maintenance to replace those things. But it works! Some of you found out just how well in my visit to NYC.

Cheers

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey DES, I hope you understand that I didn't mean to rain on your parade. (Particularly when you didn't even start this thread.) But if you want to write, I strongly encourage you to do just that. In fact, pick up Steven King's book on writing (I know, I know, most the literati consider King to the be world's greatest living hack. But, he sure has sold a bunch of books.) In this book, he will tell you that the best place to write is in a broom closet, not in a room overlooking the beach.

The only other thing you'll need is a tough editor. It ain't easy, but it's the only way. After you get beat up a few times, you'll realize that you're writing has improved. In my case, I was sinking in my doctoral program because I had to bang out a 30-40 page paper a week. My neighbor was a newspaper reporter, and I cut a deal with her. Namely, I helped her with her taxes, and she edited my boring papers. In the end, I got the better part of the deal.

Once you get over that hump, you must write, write, write. Just for grins, try writing a 500 word column. It ain't as easy as it looks. Now, write one a day.

The other thing to do is to read really good writers. Ironically, I have found that the staff reporters for the WSJ are, day-in and day-out, the best around. Read thier stories. Break down thier stories. Now, step back and realize that most of these stories were written on the fly with an editor screaming at them to get their head out of their ass and get something done.

I don't mean to preach. But in a past life (and I have had several), I used to be college professor and, well, I guess everyone likes the sound of their own words. It's your life, and you should live it as you sit fit. But, if you are thinking of becoming a writer, this is the time. Once you get further up the road, you will have other demands on your time that will keep you from realizing your dream.

So good luck and like Hey Jude, you can make it better.

DrTax

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't have the time to read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I would donate in a second. I wouldn't want Dan to be put in a bad situation though if people didn't follow through or didn't support him if the car needed maintenance in the future.

Just a few final points...

1) The Amir and Jens fund raised about $4k and the entire community seemed to be onboard with that. Not really enough for a Ferrari.

2) Although the FC Race Team wasn't a donation, we offer quite a bit in return, only about 40% of those that committed actually paid and only about 5% of those that were maybes followed through. Basically, people's appetites are bigger than their stomachs. Human nature to talk big, but not follow through.

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wow... i thought this thread died down... You guys are really awesome, you know that...?

Sunny, that's unbelievably nice of you, thank you... i'm looking forward to scheduling another visit out to see you and everyone else out there... :) We'll talk more about all of this then...
    Flying me out or lending me some cash or helping me out with a place to crash until i can stand up on my own are all truly awesome offers and i appreciate them; thank you. However, i'll never get anything done if i don't do it myself. If that means i DON'T take a vacation some time soon or i don't do this or do that or whatever, then so be it... That's how life is; i won't know value, if i don't know struggle.

Taek, there's a whole list of people that are on this chat that i just HAVE to meet at some point in my life; you're on that list. A drive sounds awesome and i'd love to come down... Maybe in a year or two...

Dale, i absolutely did NOT take your post as "raining on my parade"... What you said (along with many others) was spot on... i could never feel truly enthusiastic and proud to own something i didn't work for...

As far as writing goes, i never ever thought that it was something i could do as a profession until i came here... No one ever told me before that i should do it for a living and i get a lot of positive feedback here... i'd love to get into it and, lately, i've considered putting a portfolio together... If anyone has any advice on something like that, i could certainly use it... i've never put a writing/literary portfolio together, just an art portfolio once, for college...
    Do i put in various pieces that all focus on one thing...? (Like cars, where my deepest passion lies)... Do i put in a variety of things...? i've written a few short stories (not car related) and some poetry... What would be best...?

i hear what you're saying about getting Stephen King's book, but - and i don't want this to sound pompous - i don't want to know how HE wrote books, i want to write MY way; i want to be separate from everyone else; i think practice is the best way to hone a skill... A 500-word article sounds good; in fact, i think i'll try to do one everyday, on all sorts of different topics... Maybe even on topics i'm not passionate about writing on, just to sharpen my tool...

i don't see your post as preaching, i see it as advice; and i can always use advice... i dropped out of college years ago, but i'll ALWAYS be a student...

I would donate in a second.
    Rob, that's just plain awesome. You rock. We'll meet one day, too...

Thanks, everyone; you've all been far too kind. :)

24. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Hey DES,

How about using your lengthy post (from a while back) describing your very first driving experience behind the wheel of a Ferrari and driving the other exotics as well. That was a cool story. Maybe you could polish it a little and try selling it to the NY Times or Newsday. You never know. It might be just the thing to kickstart your new career!

25. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    DJS, i've considered submitting things to various magazines but never do figuring hundreds of people probably submit things each month and that, if they get rejected, what chances do i have...? What's the worst they can say...? No...? Right.