would you consider this car...buying it sight unseen? | FerrariChat

would you consider this car...buying it sight unseen?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by johnireland, Feb 14, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I've recently become enamored with a 2016 Ghibli. Particularly this one. Certainly the $11,000 price says something must be wrong. And that answer is that the title (Florida) is a "rebuilt." We'd call that salvage in California. That said, lots of cars are totaled these days out of convenience. What are your thoughts? I could fly to Florida and see and drive the car...then if I liked it, ship it to Los Angeles. But am I wasting money even considering it? Again...after the wreck...followed by after the repair. Note in the wreck, the rear window is gone...that makes me wonder if the body was tweaked. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The way that car is photographed with all of those reflections from the trees makes it very difficult to spot anything from the "after" photos.

3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I sense a little misalignment with the right hand side of the trunk. Panel fit doesn't look perfect. And based on the damage photos, I worry about rear window leaks and or wind noise. I love the color...that is what sucks me in.

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Is the car owned by a dealer or an individual? Is the owner willing to have the car professionally inspected?
    I would have a body shop, with frame repair experience, check the car out.

The average price for a 2016 Ghibli on CarGurus is around $25K. Assuming this car has no major flaws, at $11K, even with the salvage title, this would be a great deal. You could drive it for several years and the move to something else. When you are ready to sell don't expect to get the equivalent of a car with a clean title but I am sure you will finding someone that is looking for a car at half price. You also need to add the $2K that it will cost to ship the car to L.A.

Ivan

MrMark, tritone and Ferraripilot like this.
  5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Ivan is spot on.

For me, daily drivers going out into the heat of battle daily don't have to be incredible cars and I actually prefer they're not. I pick up my kids, puts miles on them, they deal with the weather and all the other nonsense that leads them one day to the big scrapyard in the sky. Daily driver cars are almost disposable these days. The daily driver is very much a depreciating asset, and a quick one, but I prefer one I am ok with being in for periods of time as I do have to do a lot of running around. Use them as a tool and don't get too bent up if a little something happens to it, then keep the special car in the garage for nice weekends.

tritone likes this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Coming from Florida, make sure there is no water damage. A lot of cars were damaged and flooded in Ian.

That said, one thing about salvage cars is most dealers will not take them, even on a trade. This limits their market to individuals.

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Well, I passed. Just too much risk on how the damage was repaired. I really need to drive one before I do anything else. Idle hands are the devil's tool.

Boomhauer and SAFE4NOW like this.
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    There’s more than $11,000 worth of body damage in those pictures

Since you passed on it, would you mind sharing the link to the advertisement?

I’m not saying I would, but I am interested in looking at it closer.

S

9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    He's changed his price...now he has upped it to $18k. But I'm guessing he'd still take eleven. Let us know what you do.

2016 Maserati Ghibli - Call Now! - cars & trucks - by dealer -... (craigslist.org)

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's what I thought. Especially considering the RR corner.