Would you drive your F430 across the country?!? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would you drive your F430 across the country?!?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ninpo4me, Jun 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Of course you should do it. A little homework will turn up plenty of nice places to stay. When you get up around Bakersfield, take CA 46 over to the coast, drive up Highway 1, try to time it so you are there in the late afternoon. Stay in Carmel/Monterey.
    Have a great trip,no better way to bond with a new car.
    Malcolm

2. ferrari4204

ferrari4204 Karting

Oct 16, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Cory
    I just finished a trip in a 360 from LA to Chicago and out side of one mishap that was most likely caused by a pothole, the experience was great. I will say this though, the seats leave a little to be desired. My back is still killing me and started to hurt after the first day. Bring a pillow!!

3. Hitch-Hiker

Hitch-Hiker Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2010
    Live at the Office
    Full Name:
    HH
    #28 Hitch-Hiker, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    +another on the full hood clear bra, I got it, and no one knows its there unless I tell them, but... with 14k already on it, what is its current condition? Just be aware and dont tailgate anyone.

What an awesome idea for a first Ferrari trip!!! DO IT!!!

If for no other reason, just do a search on the horror stories about transporters!

DO IT!!! and make sure to send pics along the way... everyone posts their new pics.. but this is the way to get welcomed into the F-Chat community for sure!!

edit: Pack Light!

4. 430rcks

430rcks F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2009
    West Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1

Can't wait to hear the about the experience and see tons of pics!

5. N3888W

N3888W Rookie

Apr 29, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Rednecks love Ferraris! Regarding mixed race, I'm in the same boat and NEVER had any issues there. People in the South U.S. are great. I think any reputation to the contrary is undeserved.

6. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gotta agree, The south is car lovers paradise. I live in South Carolina and everytime I drive I see smiles & thumbs ups.

Most of the bashing about the south is from people who have never lived here. You will not find nicer people.

7. roose369

roose369 Rookie

Nov 14, 2009
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Joachim Roosen
    I have a black 360 modena in Chile ( there are not many here ) we have greta highways and also some bad roads. Whenever I drive my car , almost all take pictures, film etc. , and many people say, I should not use the car in all places. However with tis car people appreciate it they do touch it , but dont damage. And I always respond a car is to be used and not to be pampered in a garage ! Enjoy the ride and mail pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saludos from Chile,

Joachim

8. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Do it, You only live once. I did it from Phoenix-Philly and back on a sport bike in 1996.
    Would like to do it again, this time in an F-car.

Jim

9. TFord

TFord Rookie

Jul 8, 2008
    I have done it twice in my F430. Would highly recommend it, never had a single run in. I carry an extra front tire w/rim in the trunk and needed it both times. If you bring a tire, bring a jack and wrench as well--it doesn't come in the "tools". Clear bra is a must.

10. Ninpo4me

Ninpo4me Karting

Jul 5, 2009
    Auburn CA
    Full Name:
    Pierre
    Thanks everybody for there support. I will post a photo diary as we go across the US. I do hope to spend a night in New Orleans. I have never had the chance.
    A can of fix a flat, my V1 and my driving shoes. Can't wait

11. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Let me know when you get through Reno; I'd be more than happy to meet you to take a pic of you and the car...that way you don't have to do the whole "myspace self portrait" thing by holding the camera up with one hand. lol :)

-G.B.

12. bretskyg

bretskyg Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    I coverd the whole hood on my 360-no line. Have a great trip!

13. BJMoravek

BJMoravek Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    Boondocks, Maryland
    "...deep south with flashy car and mixed race married couple."

I think your marriage will fail before the Ferrari does...

14. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    Have a great trip - if you feel like going up in the Arch and or a Cardinal game let me know.

I suggest a K40 and if you have a Gold Amex or above it includes EM pick up and tow.

15. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have 11K miles on my 07 F430 6sp. I would not even think twice about driving it across the USA. Just pack real light. Not a lot of space in the trunk. Instead of going over to Bakersfield, go north on 395 and go over Tioga Pass or one of the other passes north of that. The other would be to do the north rim of the Grand Canyon and then thru Bryce or Zion and across hwy 50 thru NV.

16. timmp

timmp Rookie

Jan 19, 2008
    Having ridden a motorcycle for 3 months to travel all the way around the US (leaving from Grass Valley, which is just up the road from Auburn), I would suggest you go north from New Orleans, take in the great roads in Arkansas, head across to Denver, (the roads in western Colorado are amazing) then head south west on 70, then turn south on 50 toward Telluride, and continue south to Dorango, then west to Zion, drop down to Vegas (don't miss the Hoover Dam), from there I would head to death valley, then cut over to Sequioa, north to kings canyon, north to yosemite, then 120 to 49 and back to Auburn.

Best of luck on your journey!

tim

17. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I would not drive mine, but I would drive yours!

18. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    LOL!

19. Ninpo4me

Ninpo4me Karting

Jul 5, 2009
    Auburn CA
    Full Name:
    Pierre
    The same decade in which people shot at red cross heli's trying to save them from flood/hurricane and which just last week dragged a black guy behind the back of a truck.
    Thanks for the comment on my marriage... That was a nice touch. I understand that much of the negitive things said about the south are overblown, unfounded, whatever. But at least Some of these stories are based in truth. See above
    thank for your help though... I took notes so I won't forget your kind words. Have a great life as I sure you will with such a warm postive attitude.
    Peace be with you

20. BJMoravek

BJMoravek Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    Boondocks, Maryland
    #45 BJMoravek, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
    I think you should truck your car. Also, I can recommend a good shrink in Cali for ya...

21. lmunz22

lmunz22 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    **Watches Top Gear America Special**

22. elmani

elmani Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    austin Texas
    Full Name:
    marc b
    2 years ago I bought my car in Boston. I enjoyed every minute of the ride in a beautiful 360 spider. I stopped by every friend i know along the way. I learned to drive with the left foot, sitting on the left thigh or right one and all kinds of tricks. I simply learned how to drive a Ferrari ! After 35 hours of driving I arrived home experienced enough to enjoy the car with my family... with tons of stories to tell!
    Verdict: I will do it and do it again !
    Have fun

23. limey940

limey940 Rookie

Nov 23, 2009
    same here, im in charleston SC, m only regret is not moving here earlier

cheers

24. Ninpo4me

Ninpo4me Karting

Jul 5, 2009
    Auburn CA
    Full Name:
    Pierre
    Thank you all for your help.

So I have planned most of my route as I have mentioned. But I have an other easy question. My wife and I would like to spend a night in New Orleans and a night in Santa Fe. Neither of us have ever been. Anything there we have to see or do... FYI the wife is a big foodie- (foodie is someone who loves good food NOT a food snob!) "hole-in-the-wall" prefered.

Oh and in the interst of space... Fix a flat can OR spare tire? Pros, cons?

Good thing about driving the F430, keeps the gift shopping to 0 with a cross country trip!

25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #50 Need4Spd, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    Neither. The spare will get you out of a jam but where do you put the damaged wheel or tire? The rest of the space will be filled, so you'd have to leave the wheel/tire and hope it's still there if/when you come back for it.

Fix a flat? This is better. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139702370&postcount=7