Would you like to see JV in a Ferrari next to MS? | FerrariChat

Would you like to see JV in a Ferrari next to MS?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Tifoso1, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    From Racing-live.com:

[07/06/04 - 09:17]

'I have no offers' admits Jacques Villeneuve,F1 return looks unlikely for the former Champ.
    1997 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve has poured scorn on rising speculation he has already organised a return to Formula One next season with BMW Williams.

"I don't have any offers," the French- Canadian, 33, told La Presse.

He added: "I've never negotiated anything."

Villeneuve, whilst visiting his own trendy Montreal restaurant (New Town) on the weekend, also denied recently stopping off at Sir Frank Williams' Grove factory.

Jacques, however, does dream of racing a Ferrari.

His father, Gilles, died at the wheel of a scarlet single-seater at the age of 32, so the move to Maranello 'would ensure some continuity,' said a fit Jacques.

Source GMM / CAPSIS International

I have to admitt that as a Tifosi, the name Villeneuve will always be special, even know that I never had the pleasure of watch him race. And truth be told, I would love to see him in a Ferrari, not just because he is the son of Gilles Villeneuve, but also to see how good he really is or is not. Thoughts?

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have to say that yes he would be fast, but also he would destroy much of the myth regarding the great Gilles Villenueve as he will constantly be compared and he is not 1/10th of his father is passion and commitment.

Thus I do not want him to drive a Ferrari.

Pete

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Let's face it, there's only a slightly greater chance of JV driving for Ferrari than the Pope. Gilles was my all-time favourite and IMO one of the all-time greats as well. You really couldn't say the same of Jacques. He hardly blew Panis or Button into the weeds, did he?

It is a shame he's no longer in F1, though basically his own fault. And in a Ferrari? No chance.

4. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Jaques will never drive for Ferrari. Back when Gianni Agnelli was still alive, he made this very clear.

5. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
  6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    It will never happen, I am with Pete on this one, he doesn't have the committment and passion his dad had.

7. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Please read the title of the thread again, I wasn't asking if it will or will not happen, just want to know as fans of F1 and Ferrari, would you like to see it happen, that's all.

Actually, I am kind of surprised at the anti-JV posts so far as well.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd like to see Villeneuve in a Ferrari. Along with #27 on the skin.

9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Should of started the thread with voting. By the way I
    vote NO.

10. Jbuffa

Jbuffa Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Joseph Buffa
    I think JV in a Ferrari next year would be fantasitic for F1. It would be more than just having him in F1, but in a Ferrari at 33 when his dad's drive with Ferrari ended at 32. I think it would be a grand gesture by Ferrari, and if Enzo were alive I would like to think he would do it. I can't understand all the negative comments about JV, bad deal with BAR? What, he can't drive? I'm glad to see we have so many World Champion quality drivers here to make these sort of comments.

11. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Regardless of the car it would be great to see JV back in F1

12. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I would like to see him with Ferrari...

I am one of those who think JV is still capable of driving a F1 car. He said he would like to return but still, there`s too much people that are reading what Mr. Richards at BAR has to said about JV. When someone says Hakkinen will be back next year...everyone goes crazy. Plus MH said he doesn`t want to return.

JV is a CART champion and F1 champion (he won it early when he started)

He has 11 wins, 23 podiums, 13 pole position and 219 points in 130 GP`s.

Note: from 1996 to 1998 when he was with Williams...
    he had his 11 wins and his 13 pole positions and had 21 podiums in 49 starts.
    All this in 3 years!
    And remember he was only a rookie.

Then from 1999 to 2003 with BAR...he had 2 podiums with that crappy car.

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    None of the team principles want him. I think they know
    what it takes.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sacrilege IMO.

His dad was a legend and 150 times the driver his son is. Yes Jaques won a championship ... whoopy, his dad would have won plenty if he had lived and would have given Fangio a run for his money before MS did.

They are not comparable and putting his son in a car with his fathers number is sentimental hogwash that does not belong in motorsport ... but maybe at some female gathering, where they can all sit around and quaintly state: Isn't it just lovely ....

We cannot bring back Gilles Villeneuve, and his son can't either :(

Pete

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You can call it sentimental hogwash, but Bernie is trying hard to get JV, Nico Rosber, Piquet Jr. and Lauda Jr. (back) into F1. For probably just sentimental hogwash reasons. Only Scheckter Jr. has so far shown, that he better stay out of F1...

16. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Not trying to start a war of words or opinions here, but based on your "sentimental hogwash" outlook, wouldn't you think it is equally if not more pointless to discuss the "if so and so had lived...." ? Clark, GV and Senna are all great drivers that passed away before their time, the fact is, they did not have the opportunity to end their F1 career on their own terms. In the "World of If", one can also argue that if Fangio had started racing in his early twenties, he would have won 20 WDC titles. I think that it is unfortunate that JV will forever be in his father's shadow, especially in the hearts of the Tifosi, but he did win a WDC and it is his name that is written in the Book of Formula One History, and not his father's.

Remember JV lost his father when he was just a little kid, so is it really so hard to understand JV's desire to drive for Ferrari? to want to make his father proud and in someway to have some type of closure? I would think that GV would have loved to see his own son race for Ferrari too. Also, if he still has what it takes, and is still fast enough and also willing to team with MS as the number 2 driver, why not have him take RB's place if he is quicker and faster than RB?

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I thought this was only beause they appear to be fast ... maybe I am wrong.

Please remember I think very, very lowly of Bernie ... infact I think he does not understand motorsport and very much thinks in sentimental, great show BS terms. He thinks of money first, sport is way down in about 50th place :(.

Pete

18. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Yes, and Scheckter was too busy picking up hookers in his company Jag to be bothered with driving a race car.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good point, but I can equally list off drivers that could be in F1 for 100 years and never win a WC. What I was trying to say is GV had talent and speed in abundance and most reports/articles I have read clearly indicated that WC's were coming ...

Yes another good point, but every time somebody does a top 100 drivers in order ... GV is very close to number 1, JV is not (unfortunately).

This does not sound like the JV that he has portrayed himself to be. I read somewhere that he does not even own a Ferrari road car because they are ho-hum to him. Remember he grew up with Ferraris everywhere and everyday ... thus nothing special to him. I believe he has a collection of American Muscle cars ... but I could be wrong.

Thus based on that I thus cannot see JV really wanting to drive for Ferrari. He surely (and hopefully) believes he has already made his father proud by winning a WC.

Probably ... but he might also in hindsight realise that he was a fool for staying with Ferrari when McLaren (once they woke up and realised that they had let a brilliant driver go) was constantly pestering him for his services. If he had left Ferrari for McLaren he would have been WC ... again maybe ;)

Agree, but I do not think he will play number 2, as he shouldn't as he is better than a number 2 (for all his moaning) ...

Pete

20. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    As always, it is a pleasure reading your post. I have throughly enjoy exchanging opinions with you and Tifosi12. And I think we can both agree that discussion of the "Ifs and buts" are nothing but the fruits of sentimentality toward a team or a driver, and rightful so as I have always thought the love of racing requires a great healthy doesage of passion. To be honest with you, I am not too sure that ownership of Ferrari is required to race for Ferrari. I mean if I am racing in a F-2004, an Enzo is not really going to impress me that much more. Besides, I think a lot of manufactures also give cars to their drivers, for promotional purpose as well as appreciation I guess.

Anyway, I think he may have changed his opinion about being number 2. As he has some serious PR issues that he will have to overcome now. Unlike before, he was "perceived" as more of an equally capable driver to MS when he left Williams. Also, I don't feel that anyone can fault him for having the ambition to want to creat a team on his own. That may have something to do with seeing how FW treated his drivers, he may just wanted to control his own destiny. Needless to say, all this is just heresay, only JV knows what he wants and what he is going to try to do. I do feel and think that it would be nice to see him finish his F1 career as a Ferrari pilot. :)

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes and no to the fast part: I think Nico was actually fast, but Piquet Jr. still needs some polishing. As much as there is the chance of the "fast gene" being passed down on generations I think the ring of the name and having that name back in the field is as much motivation to promotors, team chefs and the like.

As far as Bernie goes: I don't know, he has done tremendous things for F1 and he seems to truly care about it. OTOH he does things that clearly hurt the sporting side in the favor of $$$. However if I had to pick a side, I would generally be on his. I'm not even sure F1 would still be around without Bernie (just look at other great racing series like CART, Rally Group B, F2, all gone).

But we're hijacking this thread.

So yes, I'd like to see JV back in the Ferrari. And rest assured, after one year in it, the current #1 would automatically get replaced with #27...
    :)

22. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'd like to see JV sweeping the garage at Fiorano next year.

Give the seat to someone with potential like Trulli, Alonso, or Raikkonen.

23. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Going to give my 2 cents here, eventhough there's a lot of JV fans.

I do think that JV had some talent and he displayed a reasonable amount of promise when he first came into F1. But, you also have to realise that he made his debut in F1 driving for Williams. When he joined the team in the mid 90s, they were immensely ahead of the rest of field, heck, they even made Damon Hill look good!

Once JV left Williams, his career was over. If he had maybe spent a little more time focusing on his racing, instead of running trendy Canadian nightclubs and dyeing his hair a different color each week, then maybe he would have been in the game longer. I personally see him as more of a washed up rock star than the rebirth of his father's legend, and in my opinion, he's absolutely not worthy of a Ferrari seat.

If we are talking about F1 in general, then sure, I think he deserves to be there more than some of the drivers whose only saving grace is having their daddies pay a big chunk of their constructor's income.