Would you Recommend the Merc S Class? | FerrariChat

Would you Recommend the Merc S Class?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Red348, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red348

Red348 Guest

Now that my daily driver has been relegated to doing the school runs, I am considering purchasing an S Class for my own use jointly with the F-car.

It will see very moderate use (600 miles per month). What are the opinions of F-Chat members on this car? Also any preferences between the 320/350 and 500. I am not considering any diesels.

2. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i think the s600 with an ECU swap is a badass car! i think renntech manages to get over 600 hp

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    New or used? what years? What budget limits?

In general, newier then 01 get an S class
    96-01 get a BMW 7 series
    96- get a S class

This is in terms of drive, overal comfort etc.

I have a 98 750iL that I use as my alternate. Love the car, and it is far better then equal year S classes (have driven them, and can tell you that first hand)

That said when they went to the new 7 series, it went bk to the Ss..

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i'm a happy W220 owner (2003 S55). i've had a few annoying problems, but the dealer's been great about it. i leave the key in the foyer and the car in the driveway, they come get it, do whatever needs doing, and leave it back in the driveway by the end of the day. so while it hasn't been bulletproof, said bullets havent' t caused me any grief whatsoever - and they've been able to fix everything i've come up with (inlcuding some real nitpicky stuff).

fwiw, the optional drive dynamic seats (standard in the AMG car) aren't worth the extra buckages - there's a loss of comfort IMO compared to the standard seats. i've got 3,500 miles and still haven't found the "perfect" spot yet.

doody.

5. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    My dad had a 740il and now he has a s500. Both cars were great, Bmw always has more bells and whistles than the benzs, but I believe that Benzs have better build quality and are safer. My dad loved his 740il but at around 70k miles it started having some engine problems, the car was out of warranty so he got rid of it. The s500 is great though, total luxury and very smooth. The s500 is somewhat powerful, 0-60 in 6.0 secs and mid 14's 1/4.

6. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    The last body (w140) style S class, in my opinion, was the best one ever. I have read a lot of horror stories about brand new S classes.
    To me it seems like the last body style has a better built interior too. The one problem they had though was with A/C condensors.

www.mbworld.org
    www.benzworld.org

those are some good forums.

7. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    The older, 140 body/frame is the best they ever made. The new Maybach is based on these parts. I am going to order one soon. My '95 S600 will have to be sold first. It has around 56,000 miles. I am thinking 35k. Is that enough?

aehaas

8. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    The S class benz are awsome cars. I also have been looking into the s500's as a daily and they are looking really good to me right now. Looked at the 2001 model thow, still very nice, rides awsome you can just fall asleep in the seats. The only down side to me is the Auto trans. but what can you do. O and it has NAV built in.(that is a plus)