Would you sell your 458? | FerrariChat

Would you sell your 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by George-eed, Aug 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George-eed

George-eed Rookie

Nov 2, 2016
    I bought my first Ferrari, a 458 almost 2 years ago, I fell in love with it instantly. I had been driving porsche’s for years, namely a cayman s. I would do 20k miles a year keep it for 3 years and then change for new, but I got annoyed when they let me down on a gt4 so I thought I’d change. I almost bought a F430 but missed out on it the dealer had a 2010 458 with 19k Miles it was way over budget but technically feasible so took it for a drive never really intending to buy it.
    I was hooked, I had to have it there and then! This is in a way different league to the caymans though, there’s no way I can use it every day, it gets so much attention, I could never feel comfortable being around customers with it and to this day very few work related people know about it. I bought myself a mini jcw as my workhorse which is fun but it doesn’t make me smile like the porsche’s did. It’s almost 2 years and I’ve only done 4K Miles in the Ferrari so I’m hardly using it. I’ve started thinking about a Mercedes Amg gtc roadster, it’s crazy but I would feel more comfortable around customers with this so I would be able to use it a hell of lot more. My problem is that every time I drive the 458, it’s so special that i think it may be worth the sacrifice????
    Any thoughts, what would you do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    Here's a solution for you.
    Stop giving a F*** and drive it anywhere you want.
    I don't care what people say and what they look at.
    The smile I see in my mirror is more important than anything anyone else thinks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Whilst I agree with the don’t give a toss approach to what people think, I also share your reservations around customers and work. I would never take my 458 Spider to the office but would happily use my wife’s Porsche 911 or my M6 CP daily driver which seldom gain any reaction.

I do think though we are living certainly here in the UK in changing times, socially now with many of the worlds problems a Ferrari is considered by some a vulgar selfish statement of frivolous wealth and I’m sometimes a little uncomfortable using the car in certain built up areas. My solution - keep the car as you intend to do and enjoy it in your own private space, where it was intended to be on the open road and in the hills, and if you only do 2000miles per year, so what - everyone will be special and memorable for all the right reason.

Keep it - I promise you will regret selling it after a week with the Merc.

Battleweapons likes this.
  4. Michael Petersen

Dec 11, 2015
    Australia
    I fully understand the caution around clients and would never drive my 458 Spider to visit a client.
    But I decided long ago not to worry about what other people think (other than clients!). I drive the car because of the pleasure that it gives me. Indeed, I have been amazed about the reactions of people in the street. I have received so many smiles and thumbs up (not middle fingers) from passers by or from other drivers that I have been left with the ongoing impression that most people just admire the car and might be envious. I have had street people smile and yell out encouragement as I have driven by and guys who eke out a living by washing car windows on busy intersections come over and have a quick chat about the car. But there is rarely if ever a negative emotion showed. And if there was, who cares?!
    The car gives me a real thrill every day. I drive it to and from work and it gives me a buzz. That’s why I have it.
    If you’re worried about other people, then get something small that you can drive to work or to see your clients, but don’t do something that you’ll regret - like selling the 458!

Battleweapons, Melvok and bball16 like this.
  5. George-eed

George-eed Rookie

Nov 2, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I do have the JCW as my daily but that’s due to change at the end of October and I am really missing something more special every day. If I could get the merc and keep the 458 that would be perfect however, I am not sure I can justify that. I too have only ever had positive reaction to the 458 and that’s part of the problem. The smiles and admiration it brings out in everyone reinforces the fact that it’s something really special and deep down I know I would regret selling it but then I start thinking with my practical head and I get really confused!

6. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    I live in Los Angeles and I guess my car is either not that special because there are super cars driving here all the time or I'm just not noticing people but I don't really feel like I'm getting a lot of attention, so I'm very comfortable driving my car anywhere.
    On another point, I truly believe that people appreciate successful people, yes there are envious people everywhere and there will always be haters but in my experience people don't see success as a negative thing.
    So I don't have a problem driving to my clients with my car.
    But in my line of work, my clients are usually successful people so maybe that's why my attitude is a bit different

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

shawdut likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I only use my car for point A to point A fun drives, so my opinion may not be of much help, but I agree on the sensitivity to clients’ reactions. That said, I’d sooner get a 991 Porsche (almost any variant) for a more “acceptable” daily than an AMG. The 991 handles and rides better, and I don’t really care for that super long front hood look of the GT-S. Some clients might still think you may be charging too much if you show up in a Porsche, but your question is relative to a Ferrari, so what you have going for you is that to a non-car person, all 911s look the same and most think of Porsches as a reasonable high end car but not an exotic. Of course, if you really like the AMG, by all means get that, as it will be as acceptable as a Porsche, though I doubt significantly more so.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    i have owned many cars (mostly Porsches) before ordering a 2018 488 GTS early this year and have been thoroughly amazed with the performance of the car, the visceral feel that you get when you are in the car, and much more attention than i ever imagined (or wanted). The reality is that from an economical perspective it doesn't make much sense since you don't daily drive it (I don't either as i drive an M4 for that). But also the reality is that if you can afford it, you will have different cars for different purposes (not too much a difference of owing a truck, a sedan, and a sports car) and all the function and fun associated with each car. In the end, if economics is what is driving your decision you should move on and then come back when you are in a more comfortable position. If not, you will regret your decision to sell as it will be a long journey back finding your perfect car again.

iloveferrari likes this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I wouldn't sell mine for a million bucks. Literally. Because Ferrari isn't making any more Italias, Spiders nor Speciales.

Two million, I'd think about it :D

But I would be more than happy to add more Ferraris to my garage. Just not at the expense of parting ways with my 458. Both the 488 and the 812 make me drool!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Do you also get a kick out of seeing the Ferrari in the garage? I know it can be frustrating to not drive it that often, but I can tell the car gives you a lot of joy. You could always find another 458 but they seem to be getting snatched off the market as I've been looking for a friend and Im not seeing as many as I thought I would. So my advice: nothing else is a Ferrari, so only sell it if you really have to.

timjen88 and Afonsolaw like this.
  11. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    No. I won’t sell my 458 Spider.

Lol

Afonsolaw and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    No, I won’t sell my 458 Spider !

Afonsolaw and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've only had mine a week and so far I've taken my kids to school and sports in it, given plenty of rides to curious people, taken the wife out on a date, driven too loud on too many country roads, and had an all-around blast. Right now, nope!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    The only problem ever to me where I can park and the valet. Otherwise, please drive your car.

15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Totally agree. Even though my garage looks like ****, looking at the cars made me smile, even though I am not driving. Not many cars can do that to me.

The best reaction that made me smile I got from a stranger is when a 5 year old girl said "but that is a fa-ra-ri, daddy" when the father tried to pull the kid away to the restaurant.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shack, Afonsolaw, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Nice fleet!

17. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    i've had my 458 only a month and put about 1000 miles on it in the first two weeks, mainly up highway 9, 35, 84 (live in the sf bay area). was able to put a baby seat in it and impressed the carbon buckets have the latch mechanism built into it.

for the money i'm not sure what i'd rather have. a used 458 is great value now. the tech in the 488 is better but it's incremental.

18. socialpro1

socialpro1 Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sweet lineup of cars!

19. George-eed

George-eed Rookie

Nov 2, 2016
    Thank you everyone for your input. Realistically you have all just endorsed what deep down I know to be the case and that is if I sold her I would regret it almost immediately! I have therefore decided to buy a Cayman GTS that would certainly give me some fun on a daily bases and keep my 458 as a very special treat however infrequently I get to drive her. I just can’t imagine looking in my garage and not seeing her there!
    Regards
    George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iloveferrari likes this.
  20. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Wise choice!

21. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm showing this picture to my wife. She has been after me about cleaning and organizing our garage, especially now that we've bought a 3rd car. I think you've just bought me some time!

Dolceexte, tekaefixe and iloveferrari like this.
  22. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    haha i can definitely feel your joy from your post as the 458 is a huge step up from a cayman. As for daily driving around clients etc., I believe that really depends what you do in your career. If most of your clients are millionaires or CEO or investors then a successful image actually helps. If your line of work (like me) is mostly middle class people who can barely afford a 5 series payment, you wouldnt want them to see you in a ferrari. They would think you are charging way too much, have wrong priorities in life or is simply jealous and will look at your work with a very skeptical eye. You will lose more clients than gaining that one or two clients who happens to be the top 1%.
    I also concur that in Los Angeles, the amount of attention on the 458 is not that crazy, which makes it easier to daily drive. The recent econ certainly makes these cars more affordable to regular joes.
    Like you I am emotionally attached to the 458, in the design and the sound. It doesnt make a lot of sense keeping it, wasting money and not driving it, with weird electrical gremlins and expensive repair/service bills than my other cars, but i still cant put myself to get rid of it. The ferrari curse. I would vote to stay with your current setup than to settle for a nicer daily driver and selling the stallion

Dolceexte and Afonsolaw like this.
  23. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I have found over the years that even the most special car, if driven all the time, becomes commonplace. Having the GTS as a contrast to the Ferrari will make you enjoy the Ferrari that much more when you do drive it. I have found that I always need "at least" two cars to switch between at all times to keep life interesting. More cars.....? More interesting.....;).

24. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I think you made the right decision. The cayman gts is a great car especially as a daily driver. It has great handling and power but less than that of a 458. And when you drive the 458 on weekends or special occasions, you will be rewarded with the extras (even more power, more tremendous handling, and all of the visceral things and feelings) that you will have in driving an exotic car.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Nope not unless I was getting another Ferrari and no other Ferrari ticks all the boxes like the 458 spider does

Caeruleus11 likes this.