Would you trade Perf for Speciale?? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Would you trade Perf for Speciale??

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by plastique999, Sep 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Should be soon

Sent from my 16M

BMW.SauberF1Team and LARRYH like this.
  2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Despite the high praise for the Performante, I will likely be posting mine up for sale.....

Sent from my 16M

Twosherpaz likes this.
  3. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private

Have you tried the 675? Much more fun for me than was the 720. Sold 720 and Performante, kept two 675’s.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Have not tried those. Everyone keeps saying the same thing about those cars. Might have to add that to the list for consideration.

5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I drove a friend’s 675 Spider across a mountain last week. We were on a road trip and he drove my 488 Spider. He is also a Ferrari customer and is about to take delivery of a Pista. This is his only McLaren but he loves the car. To some extent my comments are coloured by the fact that you tend to like what you are used to, especially driving on a fast, technical road quickly.

Both cars are amazing machines. I prefer the Ferrari though it is quite close and both cars offer something different. The 675 is an extension of the 12C that I once owned and the philosophy and DNA carries through. Their pace is very similar. I would give the 675 the nod if pushed but to all intents and purposes neither of us could get away from the other driving either car - we drove around 2,000 miles. Both cars had P zeros.

The front end on the 675 is something of a standout feature and has bags of grip, more than the 488. Whereas the rear end is more mobile on the 488, in a nicer way. My friend made few comments about the 488 which leads me to believe he prefers the LT but then both of us are aggressive drivers when it is appropriate and the LT is a track-special whereas the 488 is a ‘normal’ car. He said he was trying to get the 488 to understeer and he managed to do that. Personally, I don’t think the 488 is an understeerer - ok, in context it can understeer but if you drive it properly that is not a criticism worth making. The 675, as the Speciale, has no trace of understeer. The 675 had fixed buckets which were uncomfortable for me, the race seats on the 488 much better. The cockpit of the 675 is much tighter, more focused perhaps. I got into a flow quickly with the 675 and there is no doubt it is an enjoyable car to drive quickly.

The negative is the engine. The sound is more industrial than the 488 and the power delivery is not as nice. It is more boosty which certainly gives you enough power but it just isn’t as nice as the 488 which has less boost but picks up strongly from the instant you press the accelerator at whatever point in the Rev range you are. On the Furka pass I was easily able to pull away in hairpins using second gear. He had a choice - use 1st to reduce lag but unsettle the car, or keep the car settled in second gear but wait for the lag phase to be over. No such issues in the 488. My friend told me to make sure I use Sport mode to get better engine response but it was still not as nice as the 488. And the problem with sport mode was that you could not dial back the suspension independently - something I needed on the broken road sections because the thing is quite stiffly sprung.

The solidity of the hood-down LT came through, whereas the 488 with hood down and broken road does give slight chassis movement. Nowhere near enough to spoil the enjoyment or even to lead me to prefer the LT. In the end I can sum up like this - the McLaren is a brutal beast, all grip, power and focus. The Ferrari dances in your hands more and has the power and ability to easily stay with the LT, delivered in a nicer way. Both great cars, both different. You could easily have both in your garage. When the Pista Spider replaces my 488 though, I have a feeling I wouldn’t say the same.

SoCal to az, of2worlds and Ash Patel like this.
  6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    What is the point of having 2 of the same cars? Wouldn't one Senna be a better idea?

RoketRdr likes this.
  7. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Don't give him ideas... he might go and buy 2 senna's and 2 senna gtr's -:)

Twosherpaz likes this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Just don't sell your 16M....

plastique999 and Ash Patel like this.
  10. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Huh? 200k more.. How does that work? thanks

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    No sir!
    18k Miles and counting!

Sent from my 16M

of2worlds likes this.
  12. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    One is a coupe which I track. The other is an entirely carbon fiber, one of twenty, spider which I am embarassed to admit, I mostly just dust.

And already getting both the Senna and the Senna GTR. If you want a better argument, tell me to get rid of a 16M.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    plastique999 likes this.
  14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Many thanks

Sent from my 16M

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    So my Perf is up on eBay ....still trying to research on the Speciale and SA.
    Really would ultimately love the SA - there is:
    1. a white one perfect spec with under 100 miles asking $770k.
    2. Yellow SA with 6k miles asking $549k

Speciales (White):
    1. 3-4 with 1-3k miles asking avg $399k
    2. 10k miles asking $335k

Which would you choose? I like to drive my cars, but don’t have too much time lately with 4 kids....and not terribly concerned with miles...my 16M has 18k miles.
    I feel that if I got an S I would drive it for a while but then eventually move to an SA for permanent collection. At this time, I’d probably drive it 1-2k miles/year.

Sent from my 16M

Goosebug likes this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Have you driven a 458 spider extensively?
    Owning one completely changed my desire for SA, other than for investment purposes.
    But I’d seriously wait for the next recession and get the SA at reasonable values.
    Also, just a note that the Speciale and SA do not sound as good as the 458’s, fwiw.

17. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    If I listened to people who said 'wait for recession' I would not have bought a car in the past five years. Buy for today.

You either can afford the cars or not.

I'd still have a flip phone if I never upgraded and worried about what happens tomorrow :)

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    ok, enjoy!

19. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #94 IPO1, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    I will and I have.

You better sell all of your cars and buy a used Prius. The world is about to end...oh and invest in gold :)

William Devane would be proud.

09Scuderia likes this.
  20. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    What's wrong with a flip phone ? :(

IPO1 likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Lol.
    Hope it works out.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I would try and work a deal on the low mileage Speciale in white. If you still have the desire for an SA in a few months then trade it on one. I doubt you lose much.

Shack and plastique999 like this.
  23. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    If you're going to drive it which looks like you are going to do.... do NOT pay a premium for low mileage car.

as a data point.... I was offered $285K wholesale for my speciale with 8K miles and MSRP of $372K. (2014 with launch spec). I'm not selling mine but a friend of mine gave me this offer.

24. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Eddie, quite buying Lambos...problem solved.

plastique999 likes this.
  25. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My advice is to buy a 458 Spider with race seats. It's the best 458 variant.
    Have I steered you wrong in the past?
    I know what you're thinking..not limited enough. Doesn't matter, you will thank me later :)

plastique999 and tekaefixe like this.