WOW, flat on its face. California prices have hit bottom.. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

WOW, flat on its face. California prices have hit bottom..

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Oct 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The interior might be just a bit...polarizing. But they did pay a lot of money to make it polarizing, so....

Really, it's a great Ferrari experience if you're having max enjoyment with it. There was a time in my life when the 612 was the best possible experience, because I had two small kids and took them lots of places in it. Other times it was the 360 or F430 because I was more into weekend drives with our C&C crew. The Cali fits me better now for various reasons. I wouldn't be getting a better Ferrari experience spending twice as much on another model, at the moment anyway. I don't think the Cali apologizes for anything. If you think it does, well, just buy something else...lol

daytona355 likes this.
  2. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I just got an FF for a daily driver. Now I am thinking a California for the wife at these prices

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

ANOpax, daytona355 and BOKE like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Your wife would look great behind the wheel of the Cali in post 75!
    T

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Enjoying your posts, A.B. The Lusso is quite a formidable Ferrari, though, and I say that advisedly. Enzo himself was proud to be driven in his 412 auto, which is if anything softer and more GT than a Lusso. It all comes down to what “True Ferrari” means, doesn’t it? Are they midengined screamers, frontengined V12s, something else? The Lusso V8 RWD btw is a real muscle car - I know that should be the antithesis of Ferrari but it’s not if you think of something like a 575. In terms of Ferraris I own midengined V8s, a midengined V12 and a front engined V12. I guess my F512M seems the most “Ferrari” but actually in terms of heritage its a short dead end line from 365 BB to F512M. A 500 HP front engined convertible sharp handling Ferrari as the Cali 30 HS (for example) is seems to be no less Ferrari than some of the cars from the 1960s. Those older cars have rarity and heritage on their side of course, but moving forward I don’t see why a Cali is less Ferrari than a 550 or a Dino or a Mondial or a 348. As to looks, I think a Cali is as at least as pretty as my 575, and it manages to seat 4 with a folding metal roof!

There are classic Ferrari owners who decry any modern Ferrari, which may be fair. But no need to single out the better Calis. Portofino has been distanced from Cali by Ferrari deliberately, as they felt the early Calis were soft - which is the point you make I guess. There’s no easy answers.

5. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    She is insisting on a 4 door. The lease is coming up on her Mercedes E400 coupe. She didn't like only 2 doors because she is the one that has to get back there if we take her 89 yr old Mom with us

daytona355 likes this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It always comes down to the mother in law.
    Sorry man. FUV in a couple of years may do the trick.
    T

Way2fast likes this.
  7. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hopefully the FUV is a 4 door

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #83 4th_gear, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    ...yeah, but it's a convertible. Drop the roof and let her rip.

Seriously, her 89 yr old Mom needs to have a crazy roof-down experience going 0-60 in less than 4 seconds... before it's too late. ;) If her Mom is small you can move the passenger seat forward. Honestly, driving down a tree-lined avenue on a sunny day is magical in an opened full convertible.

Way2fast likes this.
  9. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    So he picks the first year Cali with the most beat car he can find as an example to troll? Dude, try a tad harder FFS. People that don't know their way around a car make me laugh. The Cali is a great car and a great Ferrari at that. Is it the best model? Hell no, is it better than others, you bet. He's a troll fellas, you've been had. Nothing to see here.

10. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It is a hard top coupe. My friend has the convertible

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    There's another thing about tight spaces. As Westerner, we have steadily become more and more distant from one another... increasing our physical distance more and more.

There's something to be said for a good excuse to stuff friends into a cosy space, almost snuggling, whilst experiencing something extraordinary. You never forget it. Think of all the old English sports cars that are the stuff of nostalgia - they were way more cramped.

Big spacious barges... are just bloody barges.

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    depends what you want to spend, but the newest E-class is awesome, just bought a cab for my mrs, it’s a brilliant car for her. Maybe Alfa Stelvio or Maserati Levante if she is a keen driver but wants/needs anSUV for convenience.......... quadrofoglio is a fantastic four door, in my mind, it’s made the Maserati QP almost obsolete as a big italian super saloon, it’s brilliant, but you know it’s Alfa so lease it as in three years it will be worth less than a pocketful of lint!

13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Only luxury dealer is BMW in my town. Tested a X4M competition and was totally impressed with it

14. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Of course, I have heard some great reviews of the X4 in general, but not had the pleasure of a test drive though. Hard to find a BMW that isn’t a great drivers car though, so I’m sure it will be a fantastic purchase. I think that’s the same or a similar size to the Stelvio and Levante, what I assume would really be mid-size SUVs (compared to a Range Rover or GL etc), so a little more nimble than the X5 etc?

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thank you. Also enjoying reading your post.

When I say "pure Ferrari experience", I don't use that to define the equity of a Ferrari. A Ferrari can be a real Ferrari in my eyes, even though it is not the epitome of what I seek in a Ferrari driving experience. The comfort of the Lusso is for me, somehow what subtracts a bit, but that's not the same as as a comfortable Ferrari is not pure. I have been fortunate enough to experience some of the classic models including the 250 2×2, and that is an incredibly comfortable car. Very smooth riding and my god the seats are good, and once it gets up tk speed on the open road and you can drop it into overdrive, it stops trying to make you deaf and really settles down.:)
    Enzo was contrary to what many think, very partial to the comfortable and roomy 2+2. I think an Azzurro California 330 2+2 is about as spot on as it can get for a car that defines what Enzo preferred to drive.

It all boils down to what Ttforcefed also touched upon. What defines the perfect and pure Ferrari driving experience is both subjective, and not always definable. I can think of a particular person I know and then what kind of Ferrari would suit. I actually do this for fun quite often going about my days, as I think it's quite fun. I was introduced to the marque when the mid engined car was king and that was part of what defined the best Ferrari had to offer. Ask the 8 year old me to draw a Ferrari, and I would either try to draw a Testarossa or a 308. It would probably look as much of a Ferrari as a Corvette, or a spaceship,,, with a Cavalino on it that might look as much like a dog standing on its hind legs trying to dominate something as much as it would look like a proud prancing horse, but that's what I'd do. Let's just say drawing is not my strong point.

But for me personally, the purest Ferrari driving experience is in part defined by a mental picture of what the best Ferrari has to offer is. So for me, the mid engined layout is part of the equation, and that is somehow rooted deep within me. Does thst mean it will never be different and that the front engined stuff will not be quite as good? No. Particular two cars I've experien ed has thrown all my predispositions to the wind. The 550 Barchetta and the 812 SF. The latter in a way and to an extreeme I never thought possible.

I definitely think the Cali is a real an true Ferrari, because saying otherwise is just ignorant. But is it the best Ferrari experidnce for me that encompasses that? No. But like ttforcefed, I can think of people I know where it would be spot on and where my preferences would be compromising in some way.

A defining character of Ferrari has always been their ability to do several things well, and that includes special experiences for people that seek different things in a special car.

16. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #91 rocketman, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Let's not forget that it also depends on what stage of life one is at and not only if one wants or can "only" afford the entry level vehicle.
    I, for one, am getting on in years and have thankfully had the "true" Ferrari experience for many years with my Scuderia and 488.
    I loved every minute of it but because of back issues, more limited time using the car and a change in what the car is being used for, I think I can say, unapologetically, I may be ready for a Porto/Cali T.
    If I choose to stick with a relatively exhilarating type of car it is either that or a 911 variant, a Bentley, an A.M., Mercedes AMG, etc.
    So for me, and others, the Porto/Cali T will continue to offer the "Ferrari experience" albeit a more diluted version.....which, in some cases, is not necessarily a bad thing.

17. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    Throwing in my 2 cents. I think the California is a beautiful car. I would like to have purchased one but I was seeing too many complaints about issues, mostly with the convertible top mechanism. I pulled the trigger on a nice, sorted out 360 coupe instead. I have nothing against the Cali, just decided it wasn't for me.

tomc likes this.
  18. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Just one point that nobody has mentioned regarding Cali pricing is that we are heading into winter...

Admittedly, that’s less of an issue in the US sunshine belt but it’s very relevant in the North and in Europe.

The whole Cali question is pertinent to us as we’ve just bought our 3rd Ferrari and it’s a Cali. It was a choice between a F430 or a Cali and we went for the Cali for a number of reasons, chief among which was everyday useability.

For us, the defining characteristic of all the Ferraris we’ve driven is that they bring a smile to your face. The Cali does that and for us it’s no less a Ferrari than a 458.

We got a good deal on it as the dealer didn’t want to hold Cali stock going into winter so I don’t think Calis are suffering any more than other convertibles at this time of year or other exotics given that the market seems to be soft overall.

FerrariTexas and daytona355 like this.
  19. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Mines been GTG. You just need to stick with 2013+ and you're safe. The maintenance on a Cali is pennies compared to a 360.

daytona355 and BOKE like this.
  20. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Exactly, that and people always lump the car into one version…"oh you have a Cali?" or like the op "Cali's are worth nothing"

Lets see we have…

1. 2009-2012.5 Gen1 California
    2. 2012.5-2014 Gen2 aka Cali30
    3. 2013 - 2014 Gen3 Cali 30 Handling Speciale
    4. 2015 - 2017 California T
    5. 2016 - 2017 California T Handling Speciale

Outliers are the rare Gen1 MANUAL GEARBOX California's worth more than a 458 Speciale.

So when one brings up "Cali" and doesn't understand the VAST differences between each model, I automatically ignore their hate comments as I know I'm dealing with someone ignorant on the subject matter and who's only purpose was to muster enough breath to regurgitate something they heard on the internet one day.

Chizz, 4th_gear and EastMemphis like this.
  21. Roberto Villanueva

Apr 20, 2018
    Atlanta
    This article is harsh to say the least. The California is not ugly at all. I have a 2013 and it routinely one of the most praised cars for its beauty at exotic cars shows. Mine has 490HP and drives like a dream. The example you list has 35K miles so you have to expect depreciation. You also do not know the quality of the exterior, interior or anything else on that car. Pics on a web site can not tell you the story and I would hope that you know that. So that is a biased and short sided view. I would suggest knowing more about what you are talking about and do some quality research before you post.

22. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I had a friend who was saying Cali is not a real Ferrari. Then I took him for a ride and drove at 330 kmh. He promised not to do that again. That's how I'll do them one at a time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Chizz, Fireman1291, tomc and 2 others like this.
  23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I agree.

Also, sometimes and actually I suspect, quite often, there are "people" who are trying to sucker current Cali owners into selling their perfectly good cars for less money by purposely spreading FAKE or EXAGGERATED CLAIMS. These unscrupulous "people" try to create negative opinion to depress prices so they can buy those very same cars, for less money... for themselves.

It's like people spreading false rumours about a company and its stock... and then cashing in when the market trashes the stock. Owners who are most affected are the ones who play the short term market. So if you play the long game, those "people" don't affect you.

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Actually, I'm even more impressed by the average speed indicated. :D

ToddMick likes this.
  25. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Only on the right lane. In Germany there is always somebody faster than you. :)