Wrecked/Crashed Ferraris.Why so many? | FerrariChat

Wrecked/Crashed Ferraris.Why so many?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by gary308gtb, May 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gary308gtb

gary308gtb Rookie

Oct 9, 2003
    I checked the website wreckedexotics.com and discovered almost every make was featured. All the wrecked and crashed exotics were kind of shocking to see. In another site, I saw a pic of a 355 Berlinetta cut in half after it hit or was hit. The whole engine and rear wheel area was gone !
    I also saw a pic of a Testarossa on the side of a freeway_burned completely!

Even a brand new ENZO had half of it's front hood banged away. Once we are behind the wheel even of our beloved Ferraris, do we become a Dr. Jekle and Mr. Hyde ??? Even with the strongest brakes, traction control, ESP, ABS, ASR, there are still so many crashes.

ONCE IN A FERRARI, DO WE DRIVE TOO FAST ? OR ARE WE JUST RECKLESS, UNDERSKILLED ? OR IS IT TOO MUCH CAR FOR THE DRIVERS WHO BUY THEM?

2. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Too much of a car for common driver I guess, oh and the pressure of driving a F-Car counts too.

3. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    I believe, and these are just my thoughts, that the majority of people who purchase Porsches, Ferraris, Lambo's, etc, do not know how to drive the cars in the early stages of ownership. Driving these exotic cars is different than driving your typical Lexus SC430 or Mercedes SLK....there is a lot more engine in the car and a lot more power. People must learn how to drive the car safely and learn how to control it - which is most important.

The reason we see all these accidents is because people do not know how to control their car. This is just my 0.02 cents.

And by the way - my disclaimer is that i said the "majority" of people - there are people who know how to drive cars well (lots of people on this board, etc).

DH

4. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    As macabre and ghoulish as it sounds, a wrecked Ferrari gets a lot more attention than a crashed Supra. The sight of one prompts more people to take pictures, hence the higher circulation of wrecked Ferrari images. (A fascination that seems rather perverse to me)

Lots of people crash cars, irrespective of the brand.

5. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Yes.

6. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    come one...you are not serious, aren't you?

that web site is a collection of car accidents from around the world everyday.

you know how many cars are on the road every second in the world?

that's just a small (very tiny) part of the world picture.

7. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    But still it is a lot of cars regardless and most of them are from the US.

As for why, I would say that yes these cars are very different. I have a Viper and was told that about 35% of the people that buy them crash them in the first year. CRAZY figure.

8. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Dont go to Wrecked Exotics' home page...it features a titanium 575M Maranello with the entire passenger side taken out...OHHHHH the HOOORROR!

9. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    for very 1 Fcar car crash, one could imagine all the common car crashes their are.....like 50 to 1?!

10. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    It's just that F-Cars go out BIG and in a big way. The owners that crash there Ferrari are usually the ones who don’t take a driving course and don’t get track or Solo time to find their own and the cars limits. They end up pushing way too hard on the streets, push past there limits and end up wrecking usually at over 100mph.

11. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.

Could not agree more:

www.WreckedCorola.com just does not get exposure!

12. tech405

tech405 Karting

May 18, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Jason Mitchell
    As my first post, I would like to add an alternative point of view. Possibly not every wrecked ferrari is the fault of the owner. Never underestimate the .......stupidity (?) of the other drivers on the road.

It may not be a high percentage of the wrecked ones, but it has to account for some at least.

Just my .05 worth (inflation)

Jason

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    envy + jealousy = schadenfreude

14. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    Among other things, the "horsefly" behavior discussed in another thread here may be a culprit.

15. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Good point. I think about that everytime some jack-ass has to catch up to me just to yell at the top of his lungs "NICE F*CKIN CAR!!".

16. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I dont see any numbers or stats..so just saying that too many Ferraris are wrecked is not a fair statement. There are many Porsches, Lambos, Mercedes and BMW's among others that are wrecked too. You must come up with some stats. Wrecking F cars is probably miniscule compared to the others as few drive their cars very often. Sorry I have no stats either.

17. astjr

astjr Karting

Feb 13, 2004
    The sensation of speed in a Ferrari is different than it is in lesser cars and many drivers only figure this out way to late to do anything about it but crash, and any crash carrying that much speed is going to be big

18. Stolit

Stolit Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    La Habra Heights, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    If it builds speed quickly, and if it oversteers, people will crash it. Lots of totalled Ferraris, Corvettes, Vipers, M3s, 911s, etc. Most people (i.e., average drivers who've never taken a driving school course or been to a track day) lose control of cars when they begin to slide.

I do also believe that crashes involving expensive cars are more highly publicized than collisions involving "regular" cars, however.

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Every time a drive either a Ferrari or Porsche I always have to watch out for people that force their cars unto me only because they think that I will not want to see my piece of art wrecked and they are right. But the amount of idiots behind the wheel is disturbing, I live in Orlando and if it was up to me I would have bus and taxi transportation for all the tourist coming over no more rental car **** and change the driving license age from 16 to 21 years of age.

I have also say that many exotic car buyers are just posers and they don't know what to do when at the edge of the car limits and therefore destroy this superior drivinh machines.

20. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    My father and I had a similar discussion the other day. To make a long story short, his argument was: How do kids (he uses the word kid in a much broader way than I do :) ) these days manage to wreck their camaro/mustang/honda/whatever? With traction/stability control, power disc brakes, adaptive suspension, et cetera, the car does everything but drive itself. He argued that without the luxury of electronic controls, he and his friends came through the muscle car era pretty much unscathed (remember how those things handle?). Is a lack of common sense the sole problem, or just a piece of the puzzle?

As for my side of the story, I've had friends who were unfortunate enough to wreck a car under questionable circumstances. I always felt that I knew when to say "enough" when I was driving my car...

21. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    My question is, if so many are getting wrecked, why can't I seem to find a wrecked one to buy and restore????? Do they disappear shortly after death like a Jedi apparation?

22. BrianTheYank

BrianTheYank Karting

May 24, 2004
    maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Most of the people that crash them are just people with more money than brains who go out and buy a ferrari and think they can just push down the throttle as much as they want with no consequences.

23. ErdemO

ErdemO Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    Vienna, VA
    Full Name:
    Erdem
    I will have to say that here in the US, most of the average drivers just do not know how to drive even if we are talking about their daily drivers... I think this is partially because of the good enforcement of traffic laws and the fact that it is so easy to drive a car in traffic without getting into trouble.
    In 3rd world countries where the traffic laws are not enforced as well, getting around in traffic is like navigating through a jungle. So, one will have to become a very very good and skilled driver to survive.

That being said, you obviously see a lot more aggressive drivers in those places. But after a while, it becomes second nature to be a 100% alert when driving to avoid getting into trouble.

I guess as good as it is to have good enforcement of traffic laws, it seems to make people lazy, too dependent, less alert and more sleepy when they are behind the wheel.

Just my .02...

Erdem.

24. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Just heard today that two Ferrari's and a Bently were involved in an accident in Miami on a causeway. I'm tring to find out more.

25. Oblio

Oblio Karting

May 9, 2004
    Puget Sound, WA
    Full Name:
    Todd R
    Must be a couple of those tuner street racers out doing some street racing.