WRIST-WATCH PICTURES of watches costing more than $5000+ ONLY | Page 4 | FerrariChat

WRIST-WATCH PICTURES of watches costing more than $5000+ ONLY

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Hubert888, Apr 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dr Tax My dad had the face changed on his oyster perpetual date-just from dark blue to white (go figure) about 3 years ago. It took a while for Rolex to do it. I want to say 6 weeks maybe more I will check when I get home from school, and Rolex only allows x number of face changes. Meaning you can't change the face every year. This goes for the lifetime of the watch I think it was like 3 times, and any authorized rolex dealer can check if you watch via serial number has had it changed. I think it was like $500 to do will double check for you.
    Erik

2. GOB

GOB Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Panama
    Full Name:
    Gus
    Daytona SS
    Date
    Submariner
    Daytona White Gold
    Seiko Limited Edition Columbus
    Movado Museum
    Citizen Perpetual Calendar
    Tank Francaise

3. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    I love watches too but will buy a Congreve clock first...

4. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Nice collection there GOB.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i'm a bit surprised that no one here has mentioned:

breguet
    vacheron
    lange and sohne
    jaeger

4 companies that actually make their own movement!

6. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    That is not entirely accurate. For example, their Broad Arrow movement is in-house. Also, Omega use modified ETA movements, which are refinished for improved accuracy, increased power reserve, greater time between services and decorated with gold engraving.

All great watchmakers. I especially like the Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Duo.

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #82 jimpo1, Aug 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm really disappointed in you guys. This is a Ferrari board, and nobody has posted the Girard Perregaux Enzo Watch. For only $210,000, you can have one on your wrist.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    That was posted in another thread on Fchat within the last week or so. :)

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #84 jimpo1, Aug 12, 2004
    I know, I posted it! :D

Another watch I've found that I'd like to have, the Graham Chronfighter. Right about $5k.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    LOL you prankster! ;)

11. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
  12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I also enjoy watches..... I have a nice little collection.

The watch I wear most often is this: Titanium Breitling Emergency...... I really like this watch for size, weight, reliability, functionality, and coolness factor. It is a great conversation piece. People are always asking about it. I've got some nice gold / moon phase / rattrapante 1/25 / etc.... But I always grab this as my daily driver.........

13. gentry

gentry Guest

Ive owned a Corum, an Omega, and a Tag, but now I just have my cartier. Nowhere near 5k though.

Here is my special watch...

14. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    #89 ASG 86TR, Aug 12, 2004
  15. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    wow! some realy nice watches. i think i'll go pick up a Panerai now, that should be able to withstand my abuse. i currently have a Certina DS that has withstood 7yrs of severe abuse and still looks new, but cost way under 5k so it doesn't fit this catagory.

one quick question though, i have inherited a old dress watch that to this day no one can identify. it's frustrating if i ever want it serviced. my wifes grandfather had it and when he passed away yrs ago it was given to me, we figure he picked it up during the war when he was traveling. it's a 17jewel swiss made "Maros" watch. stainless case silver pearl face with gold numbers and hands that are luminescint, maybe radioactive. and a lizard band.

16. gentry

gentry Guest

Does anyone here own one of those horrid Jacob the Jeweler watches?

17. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, try posting a picture of it here; someone may be able to identify it. Your best bet, however, it to sign up to Timezone.com and post a picture of it in the public forum; a huge number of watch makers / experts / collectors are members of that site.

I doubt it; why would anyone with a modicum of sophistication buy a Jacob & Co. when you could get an A. Lange and Sohne, Alain Silberstein, Audemars Piguet, Breguet, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin or Vacheron Constantin for roughly the same amount of money? This thread has proven that Fchatters have class when it comes to horology. :)

Try a Lambo forum for Jacob & Co. owners. :D

18. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Interesting watches, to me some of the watches considered beautiful are effiminate to me, I prefer a more rugged look with a Rolex GMT in stainless only.The Sub look was good enough for the original James Bond its good enough for me.
    True their are many fakes but you can easily spot them, recently at a bar a guy sitting right next to me had a fake Sub on and anyone that looked at his watch vs mine could tell the difference, I kept looking over at his fake and he looked a little embarrassed.

19. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    That's because those watches are 'dress watches', or watches for formal occasions. They're meant to be elegant and intricate.

Purists will tell you that your Submariner is a sports watch, and cannot be worn with a business suit, nor at a black-tie ball.

20. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    www.timezone.com

21. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Here is some information and a photo of one of the chronometer-certified ETA movements modified extensively by Omega, taken from this excellent review.

"The Omega cal. 1120 is an amazing movement, and an excellent choice for this watch. The movement was first introduced in 1996, and Omega uses the ETA 2892-A2 as the base ebauche, and heavily modifies it to produce the 1120. The base ETA 2892-A2 is widely considered the best movement ever produced by ETA (first introduced in 1975, with a lineage going back much further with Eterna). Many, many high end watch manufacturers (like IWC and Cartier) also use the 2892-A2 as a base movement. Why? Well, cost is no doubt a factor. However, I submit that many watch companies all come to the same conclusion: They could spend the money to design and manufacture their own movement in-house and still not match the technical marvel which is the 2892-A2. Don’t take my word for it – research the treasure trove of articles on Timezone by such horological luminaries as Walt Odets and others who closely examine the attributes of the 2892-A2.

So Omega doesn’t begin with a low end movement in the 2892-A2; neither do they simply slap a coat of paint on it to create the Omega 1120. Two extra jewels are added to the 2892-A2 (the 1120 is a 23-jewel movement), rhodium plating, and other extensive modifications designed to increase precision, durability, and quality – the end result is a chronometer grade movement and a true marvel of Swiss ingenuity and engineering. The Omega 1120 may not be an “in house” movement (designed and manufactured completely by Omega) but it certainly is what I call an “in family” movement – ETA and Omega are both divisions of the Swatch Company. To those who would dismiss the Omega Cal. 1120 simply on the basis of it not being an “in-house” movement, I invite you to read an article by Carlos A. Perez entitled, "On The Ebauche Tradition." In the first 24 hour accuracy test I did, the watch didn’t gain or lose a second against the atomic clock. An impressive result, but obviously more accuracy observation and testing needs to be done. Still, I’m certain this watch lives up to it’s COSC chronometer certification."

22. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Here is one of mine(I have an 18ct Rolex day/date presidential also) Its a Patek Philippe annual calibre Ref.5035 in yellow gold,I love the classic looks of this watch plus it is not very well known so less chance of coming to an "trouble" with it.
    Dave Mc

23. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Fantastic watch, Dave. Would love to see more pictures of it if you have them. :)
    Here are some I found:

24. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    James I do not have anymore but as the watch is on my wrist if you want some PM me with your e-mail and I will send some to you,the pic posted is poor quality as I had to re-size it to get it on.
    Dave Mc

25. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Formula 3

May 7, 2006
    SF Bay area
    Full Name:
    Michael
    bringing this thread back from the dead........

lets see some more watches!!!