Wrong relay | FerrariChat

Wrong relay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, May 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    In a separate post I got input about my fried fuel pump terminals and the resolution of that problem.

However, in resolving the above problem I found that I had the wrong relay in one location. This relay has been incorrectly located since I bought the car 2.5 years ago. It is the relay in the lowest row where there are only two relays and it is the left hand one. It is labeled in the fuse box as "Start Val Ves Cont", and in the manual it refers to it as "Start injectors control relay". Based on at least three sources this relay should be the Ref# 8 and not the Ref#9 relay ending with 113 in the Bosch part #. However, a DPO apparently change this to a Ref #9 relay with Bosch part # ending in 101 (with the orange line through it for Ferrari supplied relays).

My car ran okay before and since I switched to the correct relay it starts and runs at least as good as before. Can anyone explain what this relay does and how the wrong relay could have affected the car/motor? I worry that some cold start relay could have been on rather than off after the car warmed up. I set up my %CO when the wrong relay was installed. I wonder if I need to recheck it now; it is a bit tedious job with my meter.

Thoughts please.
    Ken

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
    This might be OKish -- IF there is no female connector in the center position of the relay socket.

On the ...113 relay:
    when unenergized, terminal 30 is connected to nothing
    when energized, terminal 30 is connected to both the center 87 terminal and the bottom 87 terminal
    (ignore the jumper wire shown in this jpeg, I'm just using it to show the terminal numbers on the ...113 relay socket)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

On the ...101 relay:
    when unenergized, terminal 30 is connected to the center 87a terminal
    when energized, terminal 30 is connected to the bottom 87 terminal
    (ignore the jumper wire shown in this jpeg, I'm just using it to show the terminal numbers on the ...101 relay socket)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If there is no female connection at all to the center terminal in the relay socket, the ...113 and the ...101 behave exactly the same (i.e., when unenegized, terminal 30 is connected to nothing, and, when energized terminal 30 is connected to the bottom 87 terminal). Do you, or don't you, have a female connector in the middle position of the relay socket?