WSJ: How A 1965 Ferrari Stacks Up Today (Video) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

WSJ: How A 1965 Ferrari Stacks Up Today (Video)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 4re Nut, Dec 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just wait 'til we get flying cars!

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I predict that will happen by the year 2000!

3. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    The whole premise of 'stacking up' is silly.
    The GTB is a fabulous period-piece and as many have said, the epitome of mid sixties sports car design, and the pinnacle driving experience of the day.

One of my goals is to acquire an L-head Mercer raceabout. Although it was the supercar of 1915, it would be nonsense to ask how it 'stacks up' against today's cars.

It's worth owning to enjoy as a touchstone of another era, the closest we get to time-travel.

4. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    I do understand and think that people didn't just buy these cars because they were the quickest thing available. Take a '67 GTB, for instance. There were faster cars, but some chose the feel of the whole package as the deciding factor. My 308 wasn't the fastest car in its day, but felt different enough for people to pay a hefty premium. I think that has been the case with Ferraris for much of their history.
    I still prefer some older cars to those made today for everyday drivers. They may not be ultimate in their technology, but that is not my deciding factor. I wouldn't trade my '06 MINI for a new one if you gave it to me. I don't like the new ones. They may be faster, etc, but they don't "drive" as well, in my opinion.
    I hope you are incorrect and these cars do not become museum pieces.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Exactly.

The age of the coachbuilt machine, wire wheel, wood-rimmed steering wheel and manual gearchange (done without electronic aid) is gone. Arguably, the age of automotive style is gone. But we're lucky to be able to re-live it. It's kind of like a mechanical wristwatch, which isn't as accurate as my iPhone clock but will probably always have a place in my wardrobe anyway. It's just inimitably cool, in the way a 275 GTB is.

6. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    +1. I didn't get a sense at all WHY this car is so valuable, where was the pleasure, the sense that he was doing something special? If he'd been dreaming about it for so long as he says, where was the rapture? His experience sounded more like torture. Contortionist - my a$$, Ferraris of the '60ies are surprisingly comfortable. I've driven mine for 11 1/2 hours straight without any problems and I'm 6 ft 1".

Onno

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think to really a classic like the 275 GTB one would need to drive say a 1965 Ford Cortina GT, compare cars from similar era's and its easy to see what remarkable cars some of these classic were back in the day.

Classics are about the experience, they are much rawer to drive, harder to drive in some respects but that reward hugely. I dont have a classic Ferrari but a Mk1 Ford Capri V8 Perana and compared to a modern car it doesnt stack up but in 1970 this was a 145mph car.

There is joy to be found when driving these classics and having to put in the effort of driving properly, of course there is also the history to savour.

Solution....have a modern and a classic.