WTB Pista need guidance | FerrariChat

WTB Pista need guidance

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Nsd991, Feb 5, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Looking to buy a Pista. Most cars are advertised in the $550K price range regardless of 2019/2020 and there is a wide variation in MSRP. Given this I’m sure there is variability in selling price. How much over MSRP is a reasonable offer in todays market? Is it best to wait a bit longer as prices seem a bit less than last year? Was headed to see one yesterday and it sold 30 minutes before my arrival :(! Any input would be appreciated. Will reluctantly likely trade my 2013 458 given my current parking situation.

2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    You might use autotrader (website) and look for cars with "reduced price" to find those where the price is more flexible and offer 10% under current asking (regardless of original msrp) and tell them about your trade and see where it goes.

The future is far from certain, if you want to make the move, and you find a car you like, go.

I cannot imagine prices will take a remarkable downward turn, the Pista is the final non-hybrid V8-special version and there really are not that many for sale given the production numbers. But, those for sale, some have been on market for 6+ months, probably because people are waiting for a better deal...If you waited another year for a better price you are missing out on the experiences and that's time lost.

3. Kaylie

Kaylie Rookie

Jan 25, 2023
    #3 Kaylie, Feb 5, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    I just picked one up with 5900 miles mid 500k. I think I overpaid and I think mileage is too high, but I don’t care. The car is at least in my garage now. Mine was also pts so I don’t know if that 30k paint job really adds more to the value or not but I heard msrp was closer to 500. What’s considered low mileage or ideal mileage for these vehicles?

9650max and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    According to Autotrader there are 50 Pista coupes on the market right now. There could be others they are missing. This strikes most people as a fairly high number.

My experience has me thinking this is likely the most amount of Pista you will find for sale. What happens is after the initial 24 months of a Ferrari being the super hot one, they will often trade hands, there are many good reasons, but then they find homes where they tend to stay for a bit longer. And then there will be less on the market at any one time.

This is my way of saying I likely now is a pretty good time to be a buyer.

But don’t buy it if your purpose is to make money. Just get it because its awesome.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

RamsHmb and Thecadster like this.
  5. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Oh yes not buying as an investment, just to enjoy. That being said I would like to educate myself as much as possible on the current market so I can secure a fair deal for all. This car will be a keeper.

Caeruleus11 and RamsHmb like this.
  6. @8:10 for Pista specific discussion.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck in your search.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Just anecdotal, but I am happy to share my experience. I purchased my Pista in May 2021. That was well before the run up in values, and I still paid over MSRP for a 200 mile example. There were about the same amount of Pista for sale then as there are now. I found 5 that I liked well enough to own, and made offers, one at a time, on each vehicle. I asked for about 8-10% worth of concessions and no one was willing to play ball. I ended up getting my car for a VERY small discount over the original asking price. As always, YMMV.

I think most everyone would agree that values are likely trending down. The direction and timing of the downward slope is nothing more than pure conjecture. The only way to find out how badly someone wants to move off a car is to present a serious qualified offer to the seller. Anything short of that is just a conversation.

8. Very similar to my situation.

I think the lesson here is ... find a car you like, buy it because you like the car, not because you think the car is a good (or bad) investment.

Market timing often ends up being marking time. As in waiting and waiting and waiting.

Trochlea, Nsd991 and Thecadster like this.
  9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I bought mine in April of 2020 (same model year); I have been following the market meticulously since then. My observation has been that although there are many on the market it comes down to your choice of desired spec. In my case I wanted a specific color,adj suspension, radio and dream lines on the steering wheel and paddles. As I looked,the market became more crowded. After several F cars that I have owned-starting with a 82BBi,Scuderia and other exotics,the Pista won a Special place in my heart. My suggestion is to look for what your you want and don’t wait. It’s a great time to buy. Go for it.

Thecadster, blkdiablo33 and Nsd991 like this.
  10. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Hilton Head SC and Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    I, too, have been looking at the Pista market for a bit. Seems like an odd thing happening right now - more inventory AND higher asking prices. Not the typical combo. The market is nuts right now - along with everything else.

Anecdotally...from watching Autotrader etc..asking prices where 500-550 where they're now more like 550-575 ish or so. Again, just anecdotally - haven't really done any scientific analysis.

Seems counterintuitive though. Due to inventory and market in general.

11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Again, the best thing to do is find a vehicle you like well enough to own, and then make an offer. If you have spec flexibility, you might be able to find a couple vehicles worth owning. If you are looking for a unicorn spec, you just have to decide how badly you want it.

Art138, blkdiablo33 and wthensler like this.
  12. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012

Most cars have MSRP close to $450 from the limited ones I’ve seen so asking prices $100k over. I’m not too “picky”. Prefer alcantera not leather interior, want suspension lift, radio, rear camera, full exterior carbon except wheels , and carbon engine bay a plus.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  13. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Here is a sample of my interior although it’s leather. Image Unavailable, Please Login Don’t be picky about the engine bay with CF. If you find a good spec,after market vendors have equal quality pieces as good as OEM.

plastique999, Robert P and Thecadster like this.
  14. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    D
    Dont get me wrong. Leather is not a deal breaker and yours looks amazing!!! I’ve not had a special series Ferrari and the alcantera attracts me because it’s something I haven’t had before. I did add aftermarket carbon on my Italia and it looks fine to me.

15. When I was shopping for my Pista, I really wanted leather.

Couldn't find one.

Now with alcantara, I'm glad I did not get leather. Alcantara just fits the ethos of the Pista so much better.

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Totally agree regarding aftermarket carbon in the engine. Mine did not come equipped OEM with engine carbon. I acquired all the necessary pieces from MyRicambi. They were terrific to work with.

https://myricambi.com/products/488-series/488-pista/488-pista-enginebay-carbon-fiber-parts

Art138 likes this.
  17. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Good memory. It’s certainly not for everyone. I just kind of liked that in a sea of Nero interiors, this one felt really unique.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. mtxv14

mtxv14 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    STL
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I shopped Pistas hard before I ended up in an F8, so much so that I watched the market tightly.

There aren't many being sold, asking prices haven't come done on the websites, even though Pistas are taking a beating on BaT. A 100k option high miles went for 430 and then a 1k mile well-specced went for 515. So the real market is much lower than what the retailers are offering.

I don't know if you want a driver, but they can be had for under 475 with high miles and basic colors.

My suggestion to you is to buy on BaT, or negotiate a few you like against each other. A lot are coming up on 7+ months for sale and I assume dealers will be more apt to move as if it sits too long it's considered flawed.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  20. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
  21. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Made an offer on a high MSRP car within $5k of their asking price as the car was perfect, fully ppf, 2 year CPO and close to me. Took dealer 36 hours to get back to me and still did not validate my offer. In that 36 hours my excitement and enthusiasm waned and I decided to back away from all Pistas ( had 3 cars I had actively made negotiations on) and will wait out the market a bit to see if market cools. If so then great, if not I’ll keep some extra cash in the bank for a rainy day. I’m a bit disappointed as in my mind by this weekend the Pista could have been in my garage :(
    I know $5k is not worth losing a deal over, but the dealer should have felt the same. I want to feel good about a deal and I think if I wait the market will correct in my favor and all will be well that ends well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I love the garage, and time is probably on your side. You obviously have some excellent cars to keep you occupied in the meantime.

23. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    Thank you kindly. It’s difficult to show restraint and have patience with emotional car purchases for me. I have a terrible poker face when it comes to these matters. Hopefully I’ll be enjoying a Pista before year end!

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Bkclients

Bkclients Karting

Nov 30, 2010
    It appears you made the correct decision as most cars are stalling in this market and many dealers have had cars sitting for months. In essence, as Mclaren and Lamborghini have been doing price reductions, in time, Ferrari will follow. Surprising how a dealer didn’t jump on that offer in this market but as stated time is definitely on your side.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

AD211, Thecadster and Nsd991 like this.
  25. Kmaaq

Kmaaq Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Khalid Mohammed ALQattan
    I don’t know about the logistics and paperwork of buying from another market, but here in the middle east Pista’s are in the $350-400k range.