WTF 599 DINo test mule | FerrariChat

WTF 599 DINo test mule

Discussion in '612/599' started by blackenzo, Aug 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackenzo

blackenzo Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Peter C
  2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is it me or is the body shortened ?? The text is baseless..just because the engine doesnt sound as an F430 , they assume it is a Dino ?

3. blackenzo

blackenzo Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Peter C
    yea the body does look shortened. but why ferrari, why i thought you werent going to make an entry level car.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It could be anything..Like the F430 replacement , or a sportier 599..or even the F60/70 mule.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the body doesn't look shortened to me.

based on the description, we think we have a prototype of a "new" model because the engine isn't as loud?

there is a prototype running around maranello that i am amazed hasn't been shown by some spy-photo thread.

it has also been weeks since we saw photo postings of the "dino on the dyno".

6. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Could be anything... The body isn't shortened as far as I can see, but the front wheels are further back than on a 599, making the front bumper look longer.

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the wheels do also appear to be more recessed into the wheelwell than on a standard 599.

the car also has german plates - not typical for ferrari mules

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    If I remember correctly,the original Enzo mule was using 348 panels....

9. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    You're correct I think...the 348 was lengthened though. And I stand by my statement...Ferrari won't make a Dino. They don't need it at all!

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Agree...
    That mule looks more like a development of 599,they would use 430 for the Dino.

11. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    looks like a normal 599 to me..

12. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    The dino(or whatever Ferrari decides to call it) is supposed to have a front mounted mid engine design so a 599 mule makes more sense than a 430 mule. I think the car in the photo is just that of a 599 though.

13. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    Thought so too....but the rear 3/4 shot shows the track to quite narrow on this car and the "dino" is front engined.

14. jegerken

jegerken Karting

Jul 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jim Gerken
    How can a front engine car serve as a mid-engine mule?

15. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1, was going to ask the same thing.....

Best
    Jon

16. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I believe that the new model (we call it the Dino but it certainly will not end up being called the Dino) is currently being tested and the mule body panels are from the 430 or 360 as the engine will be at the back

17. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    hmmm....maybe a 599 Hybrid- or a 612 replacement- or 599 refresh
    but iI wouldn't be surprised if the DINO was front Engined - lik and AM v8

18. luxury

luxury Karting

May 30, 2006
    maybe ferrari is trying to compete with the audi r8, and mercedes is already making a car that is going to compete with the r8, maybe ferrari wants to do the same thing..

19. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I think we have a winner. When is the F430 replacement planned? Chances are it will have some design clues from the 599. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that this is the new Dino, let alone regarding this picture alone as undisputable proof.

DiMontezemolo keeps stating that there will not be a Ferrari placed beneath the current midengined V8´s. According to Luca, the only entry-level Ferrari is a used Ferrari. Simple as that.

20. Joe360

Joe360 Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Germany&Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've been talking to seven different dealers in both Germany and Switzerland lately, all of them confirmed the Dino (or whatever the name is going to be). They say they got the information from Ferrari Italia this year. It really confuses me since this means that either them or LdM himself (who strongly denies it) IS going to lose credibility.
    Why would they risk that??? I see absolutely no logic here!!!

Personally I don't like the idea of a new Ferrari entry model. It would only give them another reason to raise prices for their "real" cars which are already over-the-top IMO.

21. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    If Ferrari were to launch a new (old) brand called Dino (or something else), then Luca would not be caught on a lie. The entry level Ferrari would still be the F430 (or its replacement), Ferrari-owners could still be snobbish and claim that the baby "isn't a real Ferrari", and at the same time the Dino buyers could claim their steed had Ferrari pedigree. Everybody wins - particularly Ferrari/FIAT as it would sell like hot cakes. I think it is quite likely we get a car like that - perhaps badged a Dino, or perhaps badged Maserati to raise the profile of that brand. It certainly would not be built in Maranello; again the Maserati link seems likely.

I agree with you, though, Marnix, that there is absolutely nothing concrete to link this mule to a "Dino".

Onno

22. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I remember an interview where Luca said "There will be no Dino", so either he lied or there will indeed be no Dino, as you mentioned, it would rather be a Maserati...

23. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

Me neither. It seems as if the rumor keeps itself going and dealers confirming the Dino doesn´t help. Are those dealers taking in pre-orders? That would seem really surprising to me.

And where would something like a Dino, be it either a new, small Ferrari, Maserati or Fiat even (which also has a history with the Dino-name) be positioned against the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione?

Perhaps there is an internal battle going on within Fiat, where Luca heads the group of "nay-sayers" using his power to should that there won´t be a new Dino every chance he gets and other high powered individuals who want the Dino put pressure on the decisionmakers with leaking ´news´ to the dealers that a new Dino actually will be made.

For me, I can not understand why Ferrari would even want a Dino. It does nothing for their brand-value (on the contrary) and where would it be produced? At a production of 4.000 units a year I don´t think the productionline at Maranello has the capacity, since this pretty much doubled current production. And a car not built in Maranello will not easily be accepted as a true Ferrari.

24. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Dealers in the UK having been talking about it for some time and taking names of interested parties but as yet deposits are not being taken. I understand the Dealers attended a meeting back in June where some details of the Car were given

I'm on the list for one :)

25. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Have you confronted your dealer with the quote of Luca Di Montezemolo himself in a recent issue of TopGear management that there absolutely will not be a new Dino (or any model below the current midengined V8´s)? I´d like to know how a dealer taking pre-orders would react.

And come to think of it, the V6 Dino (206/246) has evolved into the current 8-cylinder series.