X-Pipe Questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

X-Pipe Questions

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by DPA360, May 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I have tried, but it does not seem to work.
    Anyway, you can simply go to www.stebro.com and you will find the same image that I have.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #27 toggie, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I assume you mean this picture (off of the stebro website):

"1997-2004 Ferrari 550 Center X Pipe Section, Stainless Steel Free Flow Design. OEM Bolt in application. Increased performance, reduced weight, heat reduction."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    The one that bolts on the 456 has an identical center section (the fat part) and 2 stubby pipe connections at each end.
    Once the center muffler of the 456 is removed, it bolts on perfectly.

4. idcr

idcr Rookie

May 9, 2005
    Longwood FL
    Full Name:
    Ian Crawford
    #29 idcr, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
    Hi Doug,
    I fitted X-OST rear mufflers and got great noises up to 1700 revs then it got quiet until high revs at open throttle. I wanted more consistent sound over the rev band and replaced the center muffler with a Stebro X pipe purchchased via eBay at a good price. The mid range sound is now louder and I am very happy overall, although it is still noisier at low revs. There are no noticable resonances and it is not too noisy cruising, as long as the revs are 2-3000. Hope this helps.
    Ian

5. Jettafanatic

Jettafanatic Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    My 2 cents:
    1) All stock with valves tricked open: good rumble at idle, decent sound at cruise. At WOT, same as number 2 below.
    2) All stock with normal operation valves: wayyyy to quiet. Even at WOT.
    3) All stock with fisrt gen Tubis: much better groul at idle, little louder at cruise (i.e. mostly 2700-3000 RPM) with an itsy bit of droning, but not bad.
    4) Hyperlfow Cats, Stebro X-pipe, and Tubis: GREAT sound (they WILL hear you coming) but at anything in the 2500-3100 RPM range, it is really LOUD in the cabin and if you plan to drive without ear plugs for more than 20 mins, good luck to you or your passenger. "Fun" and "novel" do turn to "hard to bear" after a while.
    5) Number 4 minus Tubis, back to stock muffler with normal operatng valves: similar to numer 2. Maybe a bit of a groul/ring at upper revs, but still essentially unnoticeable (i.e. if you want a "sleeper" power increase this is what you want)
    6) Number 4 minus Tubis but with valves tricked open: almost as number 1, though you can hear a pleaseant Stero resonance at idle and slow cruising speed. I would call this combo , for me, the "ideal sound". At some point I'll record and send if someone is interested ( in Italy right now so cannot do this soon ).

I may at some point (long story) be able to e-mail you the sound of the car with set-up number 4 on the dyno.
    Will straights result in more power than x? In theory yes. Proof, well, not that fast / easy to swap the center section in the 550 but if FBB is interested and if we have the time, we could at least compare Stebro X with his custom straights back-back on a Rolling dyno (using the same dyno on same day should result in a reproducible % difference or lack thereof between the 2)

Cheers :)

6. fatlaili

fatlaili Karting

Apr 2, 2006
    Well i have try from stock to tubi with x-pipe (high reso/drone) see video1 below. Way to quiet from 2krpm ---up.

Video 1------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80yXcnwc73k

Then sold my tubi and quicksilver x-pipe. Got my self a set of kreissieg f1 vt exhaust from japan(better quality and good workmanship) and also change the cat bypass pipe(kreissieg). Video 2 below
    Oh this system comes with a switch to change the loudness of the exhaust. (my always Wide Open)

Video 2------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMYRlTBQ4IU

Well how shall i put it ....mmm...i just love to do tunnel blasting after that.(til today).

Video 3------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0DCA6ETro

Hope this will give u guys some ideas on the 550/575 exhaust is not cheap to go round trying the different type of exhaust.

7. George308

George308 Rookie

Dec 18, 2007
    #32 George308, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    I know the guy who did the test and evaluation of the Hyper-flow 550 exhaust system. He swears by Quicksilver and eats a set of rear tires every summer from the increased performance. Hyper-flow rules in cats and x-pipe tuning. Quicksilver rules in flow-without harmonic coupling to the body. I think there are Youtube videos. Just type in Hyper-flow and Quicksilver in your search..maybe 550 exhaust.

8. Mark456M

Mark456M Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Hannaford
    On my 456M I started by fitting the Stebro race pipes to the rear rather than sports mufflers as I found that a lot of mufflers cause a drone or resonance at around 2500-3000rpm. The race pipes did not cause this. But...it was still a bit quiet. I then installed a Stebro X-pipe. Bingo, just what I was hoping for. Lovely growl low down going on to a wail up the rev range. Even less intrusive in the cabin than before and almost silent at 80-90mph. Performance seems enhanced. Must do a dyno run to see what there is at the wheels.

F456M likes this.
  9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sorry to hear it......

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well I'm always game for fun and games. Personally I don't think there will enough difference in any street legal set-up to overcome individual car variances. And if they do show much difference I doubt it would be much. Even 10hp on 500hp is 2% and with 500hp that I can't use on the street having 510hp does not thrill me as much as a better sound. I think what will make me happy in the HP and sound department will be jekyl hyde. To me that means running the straightpipes I made, stock functional cans and then electric bypass to dump exhaust ala no mufflers or really small race mufflers right by the rear axles corvette style.

11. Jettafanatic

Jettafanatic Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    You know... I was just talking about this to specialEd .... I was thinking of doing something similar too with the bypass... I miss that F-1 sound every now and again... Soo busy though... no time to get under the car and start planning... how about you?
    Cheers :)

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If anyone is lazy, Cargraphic offers replacement straight pipes and muffler systems for the 456 (just mufflers), 550, and 575M with three levels of sound available.

http://www.cargraphic.de/

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #38 308 GTB, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Terry,

They look like crossover/X-Pipes. I like their flapped mufflers.

Barry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- You could be right.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

15. Kent A

Kent A Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Kent
    I would think that this combination would be very loud. Is it?

16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #41 308 GTB, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    A 550 in its stock configuration has enough "performance" to eat up tires even when operated at 70% of its capability. That's why I'm getting a dedicated wheel-tire package for track use.

Barry

17. Mark456M

Mark456M Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Hannaford
    I thought it would be but it isn't! I love it and there is no drone at all. A lot of other F-car drivers have commented on the sound but not one has said anything other than how good it sounds. I'll try and do a sound clip.

18. ROCisIN

ROCisIN Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Mercer Island,WA
    Full Name:
    Derik O.
    Ran across this thread and wanted to ask for everyones opinion about exhaust options. Sorry for reviving such and old thread but seems most likely to pertain to my issue.

I currently have Gen1 Tubi rears on my 575M. I don't have the factory cans unfortunately, otherwise I would put those on, wire in a remote and use an x pipe. First we removed the center resonator and had stainless straight pipes welded in. It sounded AWESOME, but was completely unbearable to drive any more than 10 minutes. The drone was horrific! I LOVE loud exhaust but this was over the top.

Experiment two was taking the factory resonator, cutting in half and removing 1/3 (about 6" in length) then welding back together. Results were more quiet than I began with, very disappointing. It had lost the tone at idle and nice growl at 3000RPM.

My next step is to remove the resonator again and weld in a stainless x-pipe in hopes of eliminating the drone while keeping some volume. Thoughts, opinions, ideas greatly appreciated.

Derik

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In general, the Gen 1 Tubis are too loud with straight or X-pipes, but may be a bit quieter with the X-pipe mixing the flows and cutting down on resonance. I see Gen 2s all the time for $1200-2500 here and on E-bay and that may be your best bet. OEM sets seem to be around $500-1000, so another option.

20. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    575m. 2002. Replaced center resonator with Bradan straight pipes. Next switched hoses around so the cans were always open. Still sounded like a Buick to me. Final fix. Removed cans and replaced with tubi straight pipes. Loud,no drone,glorious with your foot in it. The cats alone do enough juggling.

21. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#46 Bradwilliams, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    Can you post a video? I have a full capristo setup x pipe and exhaust, and still don't think it is loud ENOUGH!! I'll trade ya, lol

22. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    I am really tired of the drone noise of my 575m with costly x-pipes and Tubi. People outside the car love it, but it is painful. Can’t stand driving it more than for short stints around town. The drone is horrible. How do I determine if it is generation 1 or gen 2? I have the original straight pipes that were removed from the car. From what Terry says, seems it will still be too loud if I simply replaced the x-pipes with straights. For reference, my FF exhaust sounds fairly quiet (especially with the windows up), but when I really kick it, it really shrieks. I would like for my 575 to be similarly quiet until I push it so that I can enjoy lengthy drives. Thoughts? Thanks.

23. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Go back to stock in stages. First with center muffler then with rear silencers if the muffler does not work. Assembly number 51796 is cut off for the muffler per ricambi diagram.

You can probably sell the aftermarket parts too.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stu- Bad advice. I would never put the resonator/cork/center muffler back on a 575M. Assembly 51796 is the AN for when Ferrari went to straight center pipes on the 575M (late Summer 2003) and a modified muffler set to match the straight pipes. Gen I Tubis were designed for the 550, but have often been fitted to 575Ms because they are readily available and relatively inexpensive. They tend to be loud and often resonate badly. This is sometimes tamed with an X-pipe compared to straight center pipes. The later Gen II Tubis have 575M embossed on the muffler cans and do not resonate as badly and are not as loud.

If you want ideal sound and a V12 scream like a 599 GTO, Fabio makes a set of 6-1 headers with 200 series cats, along with a center H pipe (straight pipes with balance tubes to eliminate resonance), and an HGTC look-alike muffler set. Several F-Chatters have fitted sets to 550s and 575Ms with great results and no CELs. I am fitting a set of the headers this spring, to go with my factory straight pipes and Superamerica HGTC mufflers.

docapl likes this.
  25. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    In my experience, until the center resonator comes out, no matter what muffler you install will barely make a difference. On my 575M first I installed Tubi (loud version) which sounded good on cold start and when idling but nothing at high RPM. Not really even noticeable sound improvement inside the car. Then I put straight center pipes which really woke up the Tubi's. I am happy with it but definitely an aggressive sound with plenty of pops on downshifts. However, no problem to carry on a conversation when cruising and can still hear stereo well enough. Droning is not bad. If I were to do it again, I would have done the center pipes first. That might have been the sweet spot with the stock rear cans. Also, I would recommend letting a good muffler shop just custom make the center sections. The fit was terrible on the ones I bought and added considerable installation time as every component after the cats had to be repositioned and even the cross sections where they mate were not quite round on the aftermarket components.